B-motor conversion fuel economy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B-motor conversion fuel economy

I've said many times that I don't care to convert a Festiva to a "B" car because my whole purpose for driving the car is to send as little of my money to the Middle East as possible.

I currently have 7 Mercury Capris and have been a Capri owner since 1997. I love the little cars and they're fairly economical. I started wondering..... how does the Festiva do with the B6 in it MPG wise? I would think that the Festiva is lighter so that you should get better than the 30+/- that you get when it's in the Capri. I get in the low 40s with my fully stock Festy which is about a 45% increase over what I can get with my Capri but My Capri is soooo much more fun to drive.

I'd like to hear from you guys that have beefed your cars.... what kind of MPG are you seeing after the conversion? On one hand I'm thinking that I hope it's in the low 30s so I won't be tempted to do a conversion myself and on the other I'm thinking if it's high 30s that I might just do it (I've certainly got the motors on hand).
    1992 Flamestiva with matching Festrailer
    1994 Mercury Capri XR2 turbo
    1992 Aerostar "Hot Wheels" custom
    FoMoCo toy car collector for 20 years

The cars that I know of get mid 30's or better.
    Brian
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
    :fish:

Comment

I'm getting about 40-45mpg (imperial) which works out to about 33-38mpg US with, shall we say, spirited driving around town; add about another 5-8 mpg on the highway. Thats with a 1988 normally aspirated SOHC B6.
      Last edited by fastivaca; 01-02-2009, 01:04 AM. Reason: Added the highway figure....
      Ian
      Calgary AB, Canada
      93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
      59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

i get 35 or so around town in my bp car, and 40+ babying it on the freeway
        Neil

Jesus loves me. This I know.

93 L track prep in progress
        88? Parts car-sold
        91 L B6-me f25mr-soon to be ???
        86 b2000- pisses of HOA-sold
        1997 k1500 suburban- kid hauler/GAS hog

Comment

I'm not sure you'll see that much of a differerence if you keep the stock transmission in the festiva. Maybe a few mpgs less because of a larger engine and driving techniques.

Take it back to the back porch, join the 3 string revolution.

Comment

Working...
          X