Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flat towing

Hi everybody,

to flat tow a manual Festiva, do I need to unhook the front half shafts or not?? And does anybody know of a cheap tow set up for a Festiva to be towed?? Thanks.

A dolly would be your safest way to go , that way the drive train is off the ground , for a long distance tow .

Just how far are you looking at to pull it??

If it is under 25 miles , you would be OK to flat tow it .
    ------------------------------------------------
    The Trigger - Midwest Festiva Inc., Illinois Chapter
    Smart Passion white with H-D interior
    HD2500 Duramax Chevy
    Harley Davidson Ultra classic ..I am in love !!
    Pro Street S-10 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214968
    Diamond white Deville 27,000 mile cream puff
    Z28 LS1 power 500 +
    90 Festy L daily driver wants to be modded, OK
    It is being modded , a little at a time http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214953

Join me on Facebook !! ;http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000295094896

Comment

A tow bar from harbor frieght for 34 bucks. Requires you to take of front bumper cover/foam. Drill two holes in the reinforcement, it can be a little tricky if your tool supply is minimal. Do not take the halfshafts out, don't tow a festiva unless it has them in it because the hubs/rotors are held together by it. If there are no axles in it, i would take a hammer a beat the outer cv boot off of each side and install it on the car. Then go to autozone and buy new axles and return the cores. Have you ever seen a set of non torn axles on a festiva with 140k-180k no-maintence other than oil changes/brake pads......i haven't
      Last edited by festivaWES; 01-05-2009, 06:59 AM.
      ---------------------------------------------------
      The Jester - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter
      ---------------------------------------------------
      BUILD'EM CHEAP, RUN'EM HARD, REPAIR'EM DAILY!

Comment

I flat towed one from North Carolina to Ohio with out any trouble. Just bolted the tow bar to the bumper support like Wes said. Put the trans in nuetural and leave the key so the wheels can turn.
        Brian
        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
        :fish:

Comment

One clarification; it is only safe to flat tow a manual trans car. Auto trans cars CANNOT be flat towed at all.
          Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
          Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

I rented a U-Haul truck and tow dolly to bring my Festiva from TX back to PA...
            Simon - pimptiva.com

Comment

Originally posted by FB71 View Post
              One clarification; it is only safe to flat tow a manual trans car. Auto trans cars CANNOT be flat towed at all.
              Jim there must be some way to flat tow an auto trans, I see RV's towing SUV's and I know they are auto trans and I doubt they are pulling out the driveshafts on the 4WD ones.
              Brian

93 GL modyfied!!!

Comment

a 4x4 is different. I know with Explorers, you can have a "Neutral tow" kit installed. It shifts the transfer case into neutral, so the output shaft of the transmission doesn't rotate.

The issue with flat towing an auto trans is this; When the engine is not running, there is no lubrication being sent to the various bearing s and bushings, nor the clutch packs. When the output shaft is driven by the wheels, the associated clutches will have the output element rotating, but not the input. This will cause lots of heaty from friction to build. With no fluid circulation, the clutches burn up. Even with fluid circulation, prolonged speed differential in the clautch pack will overheat and destroy it.
                Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Comment

OK I was just curious to how they are towing auto trans cars. And it was an Explorer I remember seeing.
                  Brian

93 GL modyfied!!!

Comment

My Jeep has a neutral setting in the on the t-case shifter, although it's a manual.
                    Simon - pimptiva.com

Comment

yes, manual shift t-cases often have a neutral position.
                      Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Comment

I know Jim... I was just adding that tidbit of information to add to my post count. :-P
                        Simon - pimptiva.com

Comment

and being that I'm only 6 (now 5) posts away from 5000, I'll just say that I was confirming your statement for everyone else following along
                          Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Comment

Don't worry about it, it will be fine.. I've flat towed mine several times... the OLD FASHIONED way.. no tow-bar here!!!
                            89SX funtop! Fully loaded!
                            RIP 90LX

Comment

Paging Levitan! Paging Mr Dan "the Man" Levitan! Your input is requested.
                              Search Master - Honorary Member of Midwest Festiva Inc., Gulf Coast Chapter

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
                              - Unknown
                              I don't like superstitious people. They're bad luck. - Serge A. Storms

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
                              - Quentin Crisp

God, please save me from your followers!
                              - Bumper Sticker

Comment

Working...
                              X