Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hellraiser6919
    Originally posted by 4cylDreadnaught
    jack a side up, put a cinderblock(w/ one or more 2x4s ontop) under the seam, jack the other side up & do the same. worked just fine when I replaced the ball joints /arms. it should work just peachy for the back end.

alt method, get a 2nd Festiva jack. although I recomend the cinderblock/2x4 combo since it's more stable
    ever heard of a jack stand?

cinderblocks and 2x4's are free.
    "Nothing's gonna grieve us
    When we drive Festivas
    I could go a hundred miles an hour
    Long as I got the Almighty Power
    With my plastic Jesus
    Riding on the dashboard of my car"

Comment

While cinderblocks and other things are time honored "rural jackstands" in my conceptual state of W. Va. and other places, I've heard that there's the possibility that they could fracture and fail.

If you do use them, I'd use a couple on each side to be a bit safer.

Sliding some wheels underneath wouldn't be a bad idea either.

I got my latest pair of jackstands at Harbor Freight for about 12 bucks.

Hey Marc, if you don't have anti seize compound, just give those lug bolts a shot of WD-40. I've always used it on my lug bolts/nuts and had good effect. Every time you remove a wheel, or even if you get it done at a shop, apply a little WD-40 or other oil and it makes a big difference. I always taught that to my driving students.

Yesterday when I removed the last two alloys from an Aspire at the 'yard it was extremely difficult. That owner must never have lubed their lug bolts and it showed.

Karl
      '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
      '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
      '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
      '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
      '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Since Safety Guy Karl didn't press the issue, I will...

While i don't care what you do in your garage, please NEVER recommend to someone else to use cinder blocks to prop up a car. They DO FAIL. Use jackstands properly placed. What's worth more - the $12 spent on sufficient jackstands or your life?

It's also generally not a good idea to use anti-sieze on lug nuts. A wheel falling off on the road can be a bad thing. That being said, steel lug nuts do weld themselved to aluminum wheels pretty darn good!

Comment

the only time my car was ever propped up on jackstands was when some jackass stole a wheel in the middle of the night...had to have been a festy owner because nobody else would have a lug wrench small enough...also no body else would want to steal the wheel...but that's irrelevant.
          marc
          white 93 GL / 5spd

Comment

Originally posted by jeffdjeffd
            Since Safety Guy Karl didn't press the issue, I will...

While i don't care what you do in your garage, please NEVER recommend to someone else to use cinder blocks to prop up a car. They DO FAIL. Use jackstands properly placed. What's worth more - the $12 spent on sufficient jackstands or your life?

It's also generally not a good idea to use anti-sieze on lug nuts. A wheel falling off on the road can be a bad thing. That being said, steel lug nuts do weld themselved to aluminum wheels pretty darn good!
            never had cinder&2x4's fail me, and I've got half a dozen friends and aquaintances that have had jack stand break (lock pins sheered) or tip on them (one of which fractured his shin when the stand hit it).

and well over 300,000 done in cars with anti seize on the lugs, never had one fall or rattle. Same with my dad who has been doing the same since long before I. perhaps you need to tighten yours correctly?
            "Nothing's gonna grieve us
            When we drive Festivas
            I could go a hundred miles an hour
            Long as I got the Almighty Power
            With my plastic Jesus
            Riding on the dashboard of my car"

Comment

Working...
            X