Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Death of a Well-Loved Festiva...Rainbow Death.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just got off the phone with a friend (he still hasnt seen the pictures), but he said would it be possible to just replace the damaged components and not fix the frame? He said if I could get away with it, the tire might just wear out quicker, which isnt too bad. He hasnt seen the pictures yet, and Im not the most mechanically inclined- what do you guys think?

Comment

Have the frame fixed, or the axle may continue to pop out. The frame sets the whole geometry for the front suspension.
      Chuck
      Life's a beach, then you marry one---- Shakespeare
      If money will fix it, it's not broken
      91 GL -Ol' Rusty
      93 GL - Lil Red
      91 L - Tweetystiva
      http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54176
      http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54596

Comment

weeeellllll, not really. the lower front subframe is what locates the control arm. what was bent was the upper frame extention (though i still haven't figured out how if only a curb was hit). now, if there was damage to the chassis right in front of the rocker pannel, then i could see that the sub-frame could also sustain damage, but i didn't see any of that from the pix. i'd be more worried about engine to chassis alignment, as the extention locates the front engine mount, and that could be detrimental to the axels because of the angle change.
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

hawkdoc60 - if you want to figure a way to get it up here I could help you fix it up. Yes it would take some time. Have plenty of tools, and the will to fix it. I think with some heat and coaxing frame could be straightened and new/used parts bolted on nad have an alignment machine at work we could realign it. Let me know.....
          ROBc

Comment

Ultimately, I guess it is up to Rainbow's owner if he wants to pursue this. A U-Haul tow trailer would do the trick nicely. That is what I always used. However, I am sure that it will still cost around a hundred bucks to rent it.
            http://www.cardomain.com/id/hawkdoc60

01 Chevy Impala 9C1 police package "Unnamed yet". 154K
            88 LX 5 speed "Silver PHOENIX" Currently being rebuilt inside and out. 400K
            88 L 4 speed "Cherry Bomb" saved from the car crusher just in time. 186K
            06 Ford F-150 Pickup Replacement for my 2001 Impala Cop Car that lunched its engine.

Comment

43! for the day.
              ---------------------------------------------------
              The Jester - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter
              ---------------------------------------------------
              BUILD'EM CHEAP, RUN'EM HARD, REPAIR'EM DAILY!

Comment

How did the upper rails get bent hitting a curb, was it a 3' tall curb? Any chance of more pictures of the damage?

The good news is that those rails don't really affect the suspension or engine. The bad news is that they're meant to absorb energy in a crash. You can fix the problem easily by shoving a bottle jack between the rails and pumping it up, but they'll be weaker if you ever get into another crash.
                OX SMASH!!

Comment

What an awesome paint job! I sure hope she's fixable and you don't have to bury her! Definitely a one of a kind with some great memories in her.

Comment

That is definately fixable. The only concern I would have is getting it straight enough to allign properly, but given enough patience it certainly can be done. I helped fix a simular festy for a friend in Idaho a couple years ago. Some kids hit a curb dead-on, knocking one side back into the fender! The axle most likely just needs popped back in (worst case, it damaged gears coming out, in that case, a new trans. Good excuse for a 5-spd)

Festys are always worth keeping alive until there's nothing left to fix (i.e. rusted into the ground)

And that only happens in Ohio!!!!!

oh boy, I'm going to tease you Ohio folks for days about this!!....

Brenton
                    Because....45 MPG.

Comment

Originally posted by festyxfi View Post
                      And that only happens in Ohio!!!!!

oh boy, I'm going to tease you Ohio folks for days about this!!....

Brenton
                      you can tease away....but I think there are more Festy's here then just about anywhere else. And given the salt content of Ohioians diet I think they are holding up pretty good....lol
                      "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                      89L Silver EFI auto
                      91GL Green Auto DD
                      There ain't no rest for the wicked
                      until we close our eyes for good.
                      I will sleep when I die!
                      I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Hey everyone. Hawkdoc, I think I do wanna try this- I've just had too many memories with her to give up so easily. Heck everytime one of my friends sees another Festiva "out in the wild" I get a call or text.. I asked my friend Laura what to do today, and she just kind of stared blankly and said "Umm...is there a choice? I mean, not fixing her is just not an option".
                        Oh, and yea it was a pretty tall curb...

I can use my mom's SUV for the meantime...where do I go from here? Where should I take it to straighten the frame? (and how much should I expect that to cost?). And hawkdoc, I'll PM you- I think you said the weekend after next I could take it up there? If the uhaul is that cheap, thats definitely do-able and I can use my moms trailblazer.

Comment

You can rent a tow dolly from Uhaul for under $50 for a day. I just rented one.
                          Brian
                          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
                          :fish:

Comment

Nick, call the Center for Applied Technology North (its an applied-science magnet high school) in Anne Arundel County, not too far north of you. They have a collision repair program, and may be able to help you for the cost of materials.
                            Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
                            Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

^^Depending on what the parts will cost you, that may be a good idea, too. I was figuring on the same thing-cost of parts as well.
                              http://www.cardomain.com/id/hawkdoc60

01 Chevy Impala 9C1 police package "Unnamed yet". 154K
                              88 LX 5 speed "Silver PHOENIX" Currently being rebuilt inside and out. 400K
                              88 L 4 speed "Cherry Bomb" saved from the car crusher just in time. 186K
                              06 Ford F-150 Pickup Replacement for my 2001 Impala Cop Car that lunched its engine.

Comment

There's a gentelman that teaches at ATC that would LOVE to help you with that (he's a closet festy freak). so there's a second option for you.
                                Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                                94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Working...
                                X