Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Say what you want, I think Ford is on the right track

from Yahoo News;

NEW ORLEANS (Reuters) – Ford Motor Co has enough liquidity to fund its restructuring plan and despite the deep downturn in auto sales still sees no need to ask for government loans, Chief Executive Alan Mulally said on Saturday.

"We don't want to borrow any more money. We have sufficient liquidity to fund our transformation plan, which means our business is in a relatively good shape," Mulally told reporters on the sidelines of the National Automobile Dealers Association convention.

Ford's U.S. rivals, General Motors Corp and Chrysler LLC, won approval in December for $17.4 billion of government loans to avert collapse. Ford has asked for access to a $9 billion credit line from the U.S. government but has not sought loans. Washington has not yet responded to Ford's request.

Mulally said Ford was in a better situation than its rivals because it borrowed more than $23 billion in 2006, using most of the company's assets as security, including its well-known blue oval logo.

Mulally said U.S. industry-wide sales in January had been similar to those in December, when they fell about 36 percent from a year earlier to 10.3 million units on an annualized basis.

Ford expects an economic stimulus package being pushed by new President Barack Obama to drive a recovery in auto sales starting in the second half and maintains its forecast of U.S. auto sales at 12 million to 12.5 million units, he added.

The forecast represents the high end of prevailing expectations. Analysts have forecast U.S. sales in a range between 10.1 million and 12.5 million units for 2009.

"Right now, I think with everything planned in the fiscal and monetary policy, I am very comfortable that we are going to start to turn things around through the second half of the year," Mulally said.

(Editing by Peter Cooney)
    Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
    Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Go, Ford!! I heard a rumor that GM and Chrysler are looking to merge. This next year will be quite interesting.
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/hawkdoc60

01 Chevy Impala 9C1 police package "Unnamed yet". 154K
    88 LX 5 speed "Silver PHOENIX" Currently being rebuilt inside and out. 400K
    88 L 4 speed "Cherry Bomb" saved from the car crusher just in time. 186K
    06 Ford F-150 Pickup Replacement for my 2001 Impala Cop Car that lunched its engine.

Comment

i would cry if gm and chrysler merged...
      89 Festiva L Carby 4 Speed... RIP. Evicted and Scrapped. I HATE MY FAMILY
      94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...
      2012 Mazda 2 Touring 5 Speed... It's Very, Very, Very green... Daily Driver
      1964 Barracuda 360 V8 Push Button 904 Auto, New Money Pit

Facebook Me!

Comment

Maybe Hummer and Jeep would merge? Gm would get the minivans for Chevrolet?

Comment

Cross a H3 with a PT & you'd get a .... uhhmmm.... PT Bruiser????

Focustiva: Because I was told it was was impossible to fit a Focus bumper on a Festiva.
          In memory of Dean Allen - V8 Festiva 1955-2010

Comment

Gm and Chrysler merge talks are off as far as I know. This last week Fiat purchased approx 1/3 of Chrysler (and Fiats stocks took a tumble because of it).

But this means that we're one step closer to getting the new Fiat 500 and possibly some Alfa Romeo product as well.

Comment

Anagram for "General Motors, Chrysler merge".... "Emergency! Legal's Term: Horrors"

Focustiva: Because I was told it was was impossible to fit a Focus bumper on a Festiva.
              In memory of Dean Allen - V8 Festiva 1955-2010

Comment

Originally posted by stevewl1164 View Post
                Maybe Hummer and Jeep would merge? Gm would get the minivans for Chevrolet?
                hummer will be ditched in the next year or 2 guaranteed. chevy has said they cant afford to keep so many nameplates. unfortunatly i think ford will be doing the same with mercury....
                88 mustang 427 stroker garrett t-76 turbo best run 8.86@ 151.56

91 red gl festiva the $50 daily driver <--toast
                WANTED 78-80 FORD FIESTA (PREF GHIA)

Comment

i went to an auto show recently and i now realize part of the reason why gm, chrysler, and ford are in such trouble. they put out poor quality products for premium prices. interior quality is garbage, exterior looks are ho-hum, gas mileage isn`t great. i guess they expect to be able to put out junk and still have people buy it. i couldn`t say there was one american car there i would even consider buying new. i sat in a new focus coupe stickered at over 17k and then i sat in a civic dx coupe that stickered around 17k and the difference is night and day, honda has by far a better product, resale and all! i`m convinced that people who only buy ford, or only buy dodge/gm, have never driven a nice quality car to begin with. i don`t mean to offend anybody, just how i feel about the situation.

Comment

Originally posted by sam.1956 View Post
                    Cross a H3 with a PT & you'd get a .... uhhmmm.... PT Bruiser????
                    wouldnt that be kind of like the HHR?
                    -Josh R

Comment

I like Fords have for some time now,so I hope they pull out of this!!
                      Renegade-Midwest Festiva Inc.Illinois Chapter

93 Festiva L Aspire 5sp Lots of upgrades & mods
                      99 Dodge Caravan SE
                      95 Taurus SHO auto 265hp
                      94 F150 351W auto (for sale)
                      78 Chevy elcamino 500hp 383 stroker
                      78 Chrysler Cordoba 360 (for sale)
                      03 Harley Davidson Electra Glide
                      95 Honda 1500 Goldwing SE
                      95 F150 4X4 6 inch lift,38" mudders
                      95 Iszuzu Trooper LS

Comment

I read on the Internet that GM has been trying to sell Hummer and Saab for some time now!!
                        Renegade-Midwest Festiva Inc.Illinois Chapter

93 Festiva L Aspire 5sp Lots of upgrades & mods
                        99 Dodge Caravan SE
                        95 Taurus SHO auto 265hp
                        94 F150 351W auto (for sale)
                        78 Chevy elcamino 500hp 383 stroker
                        78 Chrysler Cordoba 360 (for sale)
                        03 Harley Davidson Electra Glide
                        95 Honda 1500 Goldwing SE
                        95 F150 4X4 6 inch lift,38" mudders
                        95 Iszuzu Trooper LS

Comment

This what I have read (primarily in Wall Street Journal):

GM/Chrysler merger is definitely a no-go. Two financially ailing companies getting together is not a good thing. (think Packard/Studebaker).

Chrysler/Fiat merger is on. Chrysler needs some good small car platforms which by itself it can't afford to develop, and Fiat has been wanting to get back in the US market, but has lacked a cohesive dealer network with which to do so. It's a win/win situation. At least one person on Capitol Hill thinks that Chrysler should give back the bailout money it has received since Fiat is now part of the deal. I disagree.

GM will focus on four core brands: Chevrolet, Buick, Cadillac and GMC. Pontiac will become a niche brand with just a few models, and Saturn....well, they don't know what to do with Saturn yet. It will not go away, but GM says something different has to happen with it.

Ford is in good shape, and did not actually apply for bailout money, just a line of credit in case money is needed. Ford is bringing much needed (and much better) european models into the U.S. in the next 15 months, including the Focus, Fiesta, the Kuga small sport-ute, and the Transit Connect. They were considering bringing the new Ka, but since it is based on a Fiat platform, and since Fiat is now part of a competitor (Chrysler), they may not.
                          Also a new Taurus is coming (looks very good), including a new SHO Taurus. Mercury is not going away, and Lincoln will become a niche brand, selling just a few models.
                          If it has boobs or wheels, sooner or later you're going to have trouble with it.
                          Mark S.

Comment

The 2008 and 2009 Ford Focus are a completely new body style; Are they really going to bring in Another new body style so soon?

If so, I have a 2008 Ford Focus Coupe.

Do you think the resell value will greatly drop when the new model comes out?
                            Last edited by CHills; 01-25-2009, 11:51 PM.
                            Steve GT

Comment

Chevy Dodge!
                              '89L 110k mi. BP/G swapped
                              '90LX 68k mi. wrecked 12/14 RIP
                              '90 F250 4X4 108K mi.
                              '13 Kia Rio 5 LX 70k mi.
                              '18 Kia Soul 40k mi. Daily
                              '64 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk
                              '66 International Harvester pickup

Comment

Working...