Need a Ford Tech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a Ford Tech

Just bought a super straight, clean, rust free '97 F250 Heavy Duty with 130K miles from my employer (ex-delivery truck) for $800 on payroll deduction (0% financing!).
    1997 is the odd year when Ford had the F150 & F250 in the new "aero" body style and still offered the classic "square" version of the F250 (dubbed Heavy Duty) and the F350.
    It has a 351W EFI with a distributor and single coil, E4OD trans and full floating rear-end with 3.55:1 gears.
    From what I've read, Ford went to the EEC-V OBDII on all '96 and later and on the 4.6/5.4 Modulars. My '97 Mountaineer has a 5.0L but with MAF and multiple coils and is OBDII, however, this truck is Speed Density and has a traditional distributor. I can't see an OBD-II access port under the dash and suspect it is still EEC-IV even though it is a '97. Probably since it's considered a HD truck only available with a 351W or 460 engine.

Can anyone confirm this?

The reason I want to know is I bought a Snyper tuner for my '04 Stang and can tune an additional vehicle for free, but it has to be EEC-V so I can access via the OBD-II port. (No point in tuning the Mountaineer since the wife drives it)
    Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
    04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
    62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
    Not enough time or money for any of them

EEC-IV. Only 1/2 ton and under started OBDII in '96. F250 and up went to OBDII for the '99 model year in early '98.

'96 F150 (92-96 body) was OBDII with a 4.9, 5.0 or 5.8. Still had a distributor,TFI and single coil, but had a MAF and crank position sensor.

Oh, and the HD was still available with a 4.9 or 5.0 too
    Last edited by FB71; 02-19-2009, 09:12 PM.
    Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
    Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Thanks, Jim. I figured it was was EEC-IV, but was more concerned that it was some kind of bastard mix or something. My brother says it is probably a batch fire injection and some improvement can be had by switching over to sequential. I assume you would need to change out the ECU and maybe convert to Mass Air? I've looked on some Ford Truck sites but have not been very impressed with the technical offered of most of them.

If the 96 F150 was EEC-V and Mass Air and available with 5.0/5.8 then it should be possible to convert mine using a 96 5.8 ECU, MAF, etc.? Why was the '97 HD not converted if the '96 1/2 Ton already was? Can you recommend any sources for some good info on a how-to, what needs to be changed, Batch-fire and all that stuff?

Your right, I've seen the HD with the 300-6 and 5.0. I should have said non-modular!
      Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
      04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
      62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
      Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Working...
      X