Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Straw blankets" for sound deadening/insulation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Straw blankets" for sound deadening/insulation?

Here's a link:

This company just happens to be called "Autoblanket." No relation to cars that I can tell, though.

Would this stuff work, assuming it's CHEAP? It would be kept dry and inside a car. I don't have any prices yet, but my guess is it would be less expensive than the jute made for car purposes. It says it's 3/8" thick.

Comments? Should I send for a sample? Anyone ever see this stuff in person?

It comes in big rolls. Eight feet wide by 112 feet long! Each roll weighs 50 pounds.

Another link:

Industry Leader in Erosion Control Supplies. MADE IN AMERICA

This company had the ad in a farm paper which caught my attention. Cost is supposed to be 33 cents per square yard.

Karl
    Last edited by Safety Guy; 02-22-2009, 07:46 AM.
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

having erosion issues inside your festy again???
    or are you looking to start a new bug collection???

I am the original

Comment

Mechanical comments aside, I'd be interested in looking at some.
      But to be effective a composite sandwich of this material and a higher density material in alternation layers up to the thickness that would fit easily in the fester would be more effective.
      Certainly will weigh more.
      But as in all things there are trade offs.
      '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
      '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
      '92 Aqua parts Car
      '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
      '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
      Your holy ghost will not save you.
      Your God plutonium will not save you.
      In fact...
      ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

I'm thinking "cheap and relatively lightweight" for the eventual Speedstiva.

Luxstiva will get the best insulation treatment for quiet running trips.

Twin (Speed) has the Thrush Cherry Bomb as a midpipe and seems quieter than Lux, but she has the 5 speed which turns the engine slower vs. Lux's auto.

Methinks two layers of this cheap stuff glued to the back of most of the plastic pieces in back will reduce reverberations.

Perhaps better stuff for under carpet though.

One roll of this stuff should easily be enough for three cars; maybe more.

Karl
        '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
        '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
        '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
        '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
        '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Originally posted by Safety Guy View Post
          Comments?
          Get a Volkswagen (there's a lot quieter :-)).

Comment

Honestly I would be very very hesitant about putting this stuff in a car if you plan on keeping it in decent useable shape.

It is designed to eventually rot away, hence the lifespan specs on their site.

No car is truely 100% dry inside, many places that condensation gathers on a regular basis, this "straw" would soak it up little by little and start its "rotting". After all, thats what it is designed to do. eventually you would have a nasty mess to dig out of your car. Not to mention the smell and attracted insects.

Seriously there are many low cost products designed to do what you are looking for that will last.
            Hotrod Forums Directory * D&D Discbrakes 61-67 Econoline Conversions
            1988 Festy - white 5spd 1.3 * 1992 Festy - red 5spd 1.3 * 1963 Econoline 5 window pu * 1993 Dodge W250 5.9 Cummings * 94 Mustang

Comment

straw gets dusty suprisingly quick. erosion control is part of my logging job. and vibration will shake the mat apart in a few hundred miles.

im my fiesta i stripped the interior and bought a do it yourself truck bed liner kit. its realtivly light weight, tough as nails, and very inexpensive. look into it, i think you'll like it.
              88 mustang 427 stroker garrett t-76 turbo best run 8.86@ 151.56

91 red gl festiva the $50 daily driver <--toast
              WANTED 78-80 FORD FIESTA (PREF GHIA)

Comment

I'm with you ohsoslow with the truck bed liner route. I did the same with my festy, but it didn't seem to quiet it much... maybe because I have no top or doors?

Comment

lol yeah from the pic's id say thats the problem.
                  88 mustang 427 stroker garrett t-76 turbo best run 8.86@ 151.56

91 red gl festiva the $50 daily driver <--toast
                  WANTED 78-80 FORD FIESTA (PREF GHIA)

Comment

Working...
                  X