Aagghh!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aagghh!!

MAN! just about done a head gasket job, when i'm tightening up the water pump pulley bolts. haynes says 36-40 something and the bolt busted before i got to 20! i was worried when i started that 40 ft lbs was too much so i checked the 10 mm ft lb ratio in the front of the manual and 40 looked bout the same. now i've got another problem to fix... plus it snowed all over my project while i was out after being +5 out! i think im gonna lose it! at least it was the bolt that broke and not the water pump threads (i hope, dont have the tools to remove a broken bolt)and i had a tarp over my tools. i put so much money into fixing my car myself but i'm gonna hafta spend at least as much in anti stress meds! well thats my ranting... by the way does anyone know the proper torque for the w.p.pulley? and is beer an advisable anti stress med?

cheers
    light a man a fire and he'll stay warm for the night.
    light a man on fire and he'll stay warm for the rest of his life.:faroah:

Water pump pulley

You sure it wasn't inch pounds as opposed to foot pounds?

Comment

yeah i triple checked cuz i was worried. all inch lbs in haynes are so marked. ft lbs are just numbered.

Comment

man....I just tighten that kind of stuff up till it feels tight ....no problems ever. Now head bolts and such I would torque. But bolts on the pulley and valve cover bolts etc....nope. Just me though.
        "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
        89L Silver EFI auto
        91GL Green Auto DD
        There ain't no rest for the wicked
        until we close our eyes for good.
        I will sleep when I die!
        I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Originally posted by GenevaDirt View Post
          man....I just tighten that kind of stuff up till it feels tight ....no problems ever. Now head bolts and such I would torque. But bolts on the pulley and valve cover bolts etc....nope. Just me though.
          same here.

Comment

yeah, i'm thinking that's a good method to adopt. just noticed the crank pulley was wobbling(repair for later!) and wanted both pulleys on right. what i dont get is i put the pulley on last year when i put in the engine, and i torqued everything cuz it was my first work on pretty much anything besides lawnmowers. i did use a new haynes manual this time though. musta been a typo. thanks guys, learned a ton on this job.
            cheers

Comment

14-19 Lb-ft for the pump bolts straight from the factory manual. Haynes is WRONG.
              Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
              94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

information that would have been helpful YESTERDAY! actually the day b4 would have been really nice. sounds bout right though festYboy, she stripped right around 20 ft lbs

Comment

hee hee hee hee. gettin that bolt out was easier than i could've imagined. got lucky with it being the one on the water pulley... backed it out from behind till i could twist it out with the edge of my finger. gonna be a little more careful with my haynes manual though. it has proved invaluable until this incident, so i can't bash em too much.

cheers.

Comment

Working...
                  X