OH-STIVA Fall Fling pics in NE US Forum; my highway MPG here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OH-STIVA Fall Fling pics in NE US Forum; my highway MPG here

Anyone interested in a couple of Whittey's pics of our little get-together today can go to the NE US Forum and see them.

Here I'll post my highway mileage total from my 280 mile round trip. All but about four or five miles of this was freeway, averaging about 62 mph or so. I drove my '93GL automatic with over 196K miles on it.

A few days ago I changed the oil (5W-30) and put on a new cap and rotor. I was unable to change plugs due to their not coming out when I tried. Also, the air filter has been in there almost two years! :shock:

Yeah, I just realized that. So the mileage I recorded could undoubtedly be improved with new properly gapped plugs and a new air filter.

Also, I'm running 165/70-12s in front and 155/80-12s in the rear, on alloy Festiva rims. All tires were maxed out at 35 psi for minimal rolling resistance.

I went to gas back up at the same station I filled with this morning. At the end of my trip it took 7.06 gallons of gas, letting it trip off on it's own (just like this morning).

Well, 40 MPG sounds pretty good, eh?

If I had taken care of those other things, I bet I could get one or two mpg over that.

One more thing: my leaking head gasket only lost maybe a cupfull of fluid one way. I bet this car could cross the US if I kept it topped off!

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

I was so proud of Karl because he showed up in HIS Festiva! :lol:
    Brian
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
    :fish:

Comment

That's really pretty good considering you have a bad head gasket and an automatic. I've gotten 50 a couple times, going 60 mph with a really strong tail wind. The worst I've ever gotten was 35 mpg. I was going about 80 mph going against a 35-40 mph headwind. I pretty much had it floored in fourth gear the whole way.

By the way, you'll probably want to get that head gasket fixed. It's most likely going to get worse.

Comment

Working...
      X