X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tata Nano to the U.S? Hmmm...

News report just out:

From the article:

"And, he pledged to go to Europe and America soon, with safer, cleaner but still ultra-cheap Nanos for the developed world.

The Nano was initially targeted at impoverished first-time car buyers in Asia and Africa, but the global economic meltdown has amplified Ratan Tata’s export ambitions.

Tata Motors unveiled the Nano Europa, a slightly more robust version of the Indian model, at the Geneva Motor Show this month, with a planned launch of 2011.

The company is now designing a version of the Nano that meets U.S. safety and emissions standards and should be ready for launch in about three years, Tata said.

“A year ago, I would have said the United States is not on our radar screen,” Tata said at a lunch with reporters Monday. Now, he added, “We see an opportunity for a low-cost car. In this economic situation we can see perhaps there is a place for it.”

The Nano, with a starting retail price of 112,735 rupees ($2,233) is a stripped-down car for stripped-down times: It is 10.2 feet (3.1 meters) long, has one windshield wiper, and a 623cc rear engine.

The four-seater can travel up to 65 miles an hour (105 kilometers an hour) and gets 55.5 miles to the gallon (23.6 kilometers per liter). The Nano does not have air bags or antilock brakes — neither of which is required in India — and if you want air conditioning or power windows, you’ll have to pay extra."

I like these comments, from an Indian car writer:

“It is a proper car,” said Hormazd Sorabjee, editor of Autocar India, a trade magazine. He said the designers made clever compromises to keep costs down, scrimping on the plushness of the seats, but offering a comfy suspension and ample interior space.

The Nano should make global automakers stop loading their cars with costly gadgets people don’t really want, he added.

“Finally, it’s going to make people realize they should be building cars that people need,” he said. “This is where multinationals have failed.”

As far as Nanos to the U.S., I'll believe it when I see it. Their financial situation is not that great.

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

I wonder if these cars will be.....bodacious?
    1989 Red L- The Baron
    www.letstalkbeatles.com
    Link to Baron Pics:
    http://s478.photobucket.com/albums/r...nmervap/Baron/
    1990 White GL- Chuck (for now)

Comment

you know air-bags and ABS are going to really add to the price, and we won't see them till when.....2013? don't get wrong, i'd drive/buy one, but it's not going to be $2000.

Comment

Hmmm...let's see...India is one of the world's poorest and most polluting countries in the world. Now they want to tell us that their cars are more sensible than what we have already and we have unnecessary gadgets? um...yeah...whatever. With their pollution problems, I'll bet it would take more than three years for them to make a car that passes our emissions standards. I, for one, have no interest in a third world car. The air bags and emissions requirements will make the $2300 car into a $10,000 car, you watch.
        Last edited by hawkdoc60; 03-23-2009, 05:33 PM.
        http://www.cardomain.com/id/hawkdoc60

01 Chevy Impala 9C1 police package "Unnamed yet". 154K
        88 LX 5 speed "Silver PHOENIX" Currently being rebuilt inside and out. 400K
        88 L 4 speed "Cherry Bomb" saved from the car crusher just in time. 186K
        06 Ford F-150 Pickup Replacement for my 2001 Impala Cop Car that lunched its engine.

Comment

^^^ You're both correct. This was discussed last year when Tata introduced the Nano. Tata did a cost study on "Americanizing" the Nano. They expect the final cost, depending somewhat on import and emission tarrifs, to be between $8k - $10k USD.

Now, consider this; the next competitor price-wise will be $13k - $15k. Vehicles like the Aveo, SX4, Soul, etc...

An $8k - $10k microcar, capable of 65mph (which makes it highway legal, unlike electric LSV's that cost MORE, like the GEMs, Zebras, Miles, etc.) capable of being parked two-to-a-space, will be a boon to urban dwellers who may have not otherwise been able to own a car.
          Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
          Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

I guess by the fact also that it is made by a third world country whose safety standards are a bit neanderthal compared to other countries, makes me question its integrity as a safe vehicle, airbags, or no airbags. It looks fragile to me. I have no doubt that a Festy would withstand more of an impact than the nano, unless they are reinfocing the heck out of it like they are the Smart Car.

06 Ford F-150 Pickup Replacement for my 2001 Impala Cop Car that lunched its engine.

Comment

just remember, it's not designed to be a top-bin vehicle. Its designed to mobilize the citizens of a burgeoning nation. It is what it is; basic transportation.
              Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Comment

i can see a 'Busa swap in it's future.... heheheh
                Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by FB71 View Post
                  just remember, it's not designed to be a top-bin vehicle. Its designed to mobilize the citizens of a burgeoning nation. It is what it is; basic transportation.
                  So is a bicycle, for that matter. LOL J/K

Comment

actually, that's kind of the idea ^^^

IF people have motorized transpotation, it's a scooter or Indian Royal Enfield 350. Both of which are about half the cost of the Nano, and only SAFELY carries two people. The Nano carries four safely. By making the Nano available, the Indian government hopes to IMPROVE traffic safety for it's citizens.
                    Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Comment

I guess you are right. I just also see this car as the new bandwagon car that will be pushed down our throats like the hybrids have been for a couple years. That coupled with my total disdain for it has just given me a negative attitude for it. Perhaps i should just wait and see. It would be nice to get a new car sold in this country for under $7000.

Comment

i'm all for it, although i am kind of an old microcar nut. i don`t care where its from, it couldn`t be any more unsafe than an old isetta or subaru 360 van (where basically your legs are protected by some thin sheet metal) if they bring them here for $5k or less i will buy one.

Comment

Ah, yes, but with the Isetta, you at least have the BMW logo. LOL

Comment

i suppose you are right, "tata" doesn`t quite have the same effect haha

Comment

Originally posted by ruppenduro View Post
                              i'm all for it, although i am kind of an old microcar nut. i don`t care where its from, it couldn`t be any more unsafe than an old isetta or subaru 360 van (where basically your legs are protected by some thin sheet metal) if they bring them here for $5k or less i will buy one.
                              See, I'm with you. I like microcars, I think they're neat!

And the line I used to use to describe first-gen Econolines was "where your feet are your first line of defense in a front end collision"!
                              Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Comment

Working...
                              X