Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Festy Owner

Hi all,

Glad to see there's a great forum for the Festiva!

I bought my first Festy last week... a 1988 L-mod with 273,400 (poorly maintained) miles. The girl I bought it from said she'd never changed the oil in the past 2 years she's owned it; in fact, I couldn't get the car over 40mph on the way home it was so bad...

Struts bad, shocks bad, valve timing off one tooth, ignition timing way retarded, two 13" wheels, two 14" wheels and the two 13's don't match.. Sway bar bushing SHOT, A/C inoperative, carpet a freaking mud hole, seats torn, bumpers faded, paint mildewed, missing grille, rear wheel bearings sound like a tailgating Mack truck.

In the first 2 hours of getting her home I set valve timing, ignition timing, changed the horrendous spark plugs. A new vehicle was born...

Over the past 4 days, I've ordered a new grille (received today and installed), full set of KYB GR-2 shock/struts, installed a set of polyurethane front swaybar bushings (Energy Suspension), stripped the interior (including the carpet, rear seat, belts, spare, junk in the trunk, plastic panels), repainted the bumpers with Plasti-Coat rubberized spray paint, installed a Porsche tach, set the valve clearances, replaced the PCV valve, cleaned all of the sprayed oil from the filter housing and engine, installed a new air filter, rear wheel bearings, tightened up the shift linkage, recharged the A/C and driven her about 150 miles.

After the new shocks and struts are installed, I plan to install a custom rear sway bar (torsion addition), performance springs, Megasquirt EFI. Looking for a stock 90+ EFI intake mani for the conversion...

My big question is: after I get the struts/shocks installed, I'll need some better wheels... which other model/brand wheels fit the Festiva? I like the Miata daisies if they'll fit without modification, or steelies are fine as well. Any other suggestions welcome.

Cheers,
    -Scott in Raleigh, NC
    White '88, 280kmi, Weber 32/36 DGEV Carb with Rocketman Carb Adapter

need to find anything that has a 114.3x4 pattern. try mid 90s mitsu and nissans.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Welcome to the site Scott. You have been busy resurrecting that Festy. Keep up the good work...you will love the car.
      When you get a chance...take a moment and add your location to your profile. It will help in the future for numerous reasons. There are a bunch of nut cases out by you that have THE MADNESS! Watch out because I am sure it is contagious. I am sure they will be in contact.
      "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
      89L Silver EFI auto
      91GL Green Auto DD
      There ain't no rest for the wicked
      until we close our eyes for good.
      I will sleep when I die!
      I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Welcome to the site! We're in Raleigh too. My other half...V8Festiva...says if you need help with parts to give him a call. 271-5190 His name is Dean.

What color is the car? We're wondering if it's a white one Dean heard about. Post pics when you get a chance. Every one here loves to see what others are doing.

You have been really busy considering how long you have had the car! We can't wait to check it out. We are hosting a Festiva meet in October. Check out this thread:

There's also pictures in the Photo Gallery from last year's meet.
        Welcome, Barbara
        1992 Green GL - "It's not easy being green" - Kermit - RIP killed by a tree
        1992 Aqua Funtop - Belle
        Wife of V8Festiva.

Madness Committee Member
        website www.festivamadness.com

Comment

Welcome aboard!
          Search Master - Honorary Member of Midwest Festiva Inc., Gulf Coast Chapter

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
          - Unknown
          I don't like superstitious people. They're bad luck. - Serge A. Storms

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
          - Quentin Crisp

God, please save me from your followers!
          - Bumper Sticker

Comment

Hello! And Welcome!
            -Josh R

Comment

Scott,

Welcome to the Madness.

Look forward to meeting you in person. I have several Festiva projects in the works.

If I worked as fast as you , they would all be done

I have a fuel injected intake out of a car and you can have it.

I also still have some remains of a 89 Festiva parts car from last years meet.

Dean
              Raleigh, NC
              The wife and I are attending this meet. Come convoy with us.Come to the 1st annual "Sunshine Meet" March 20th 2010. Details in the thread below.
              http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...292#post295292

www.festivameets.com

Festiva Convoy video link [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyFYJcFBc_g[/urlhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANbkG...eature=related

3rd Annual Festiva Madness. The largest Festiva Meet ever held of owners and their cars 2009 Festiva Madness link with pictures. 51 Festivas & 4 Aspires from eight states attended.

FM3 short 5 minute clip
              Link to a short 5 minute clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFyy-zxgV5A

http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=24695
              link to 100s of meets pictures and short video clips.http://s1019.photobucket.com/albums/af316/festivameets/
              4th Annual Festiva Madness meet will be held Oct 2, 2010 in Raleigh, NC
              Cell is 919-271-5190 deanraleighnc@cs.com

Comment

Eagerly awaiting pics

Comment

=)

Thanks for all the warm welcomes everyone! Smedley and Dean, the car is white with black bumpers and a black grille... there's also a 'Support Marines' magnet on the back which came with the car and I cant get myself to remove because I do appreciate our troops!

My girlfriend and I are now 'on the lookout' for other Festy's in the area and she has seen a blue one on 401 (yesterday) and again on Six Forks road this morning... maybe its one of ya'lls? I think she said it had some body damage near the rear end?

Dean, I'd love to take you up on that EFI mani, would sure make things easier to get rolling with the MegaSquirt! How about a 6-pack of your favorite beer in trade? Lemme know!

The engine is running fairly well now, but still smokes quite a bit... A compression check showed 150/152/126/152 (cyl 1-4 respectively) and I think it would be a good idea to go ahead and fit new rings and hone the cylinders... I've got a new head gasket ready to install, which may stop the smoking (because I think it's coolant and not oil)...but if I'm in there, I may as well do it all I think the pistons themselves are ok, I'm not hearing any mechanical slap...

Found a set of rings on Ebay that come with main and rod bearings as well...$100 - does that price sound on par to you guys? I'm still getting over the 'sticker shock' of how inexpensive the parts are for this car! Where was this Festy when I was struggling through college!?

Thanks again and I'm glad to see the forum is populated with helpful, respectful people and not the pricks you normally find on vehicle boards! drool

Cheers,
                  -S

PS, the KYB GR-2's are out for delivery today :p
                  Last edited by 95Compact; 04-09-2009, 09:36 AM.

Comment

WELCOME! Looking forward to seeing your final product once all the work is done.
                    Festy 91L - 210K "Team Festy"
                    00 VW Passat 1.8T - sold
                    02 Saturn SL1 94K "Wifey Mobile"

Comment

Dude. You're a machine! We've had our festy since last summer, in almost as bad condition and we've still not done as much!
                      88 LX - Twin turbo, Intercooled :p
                      Recently re-chistened from "Cheapstiva" to "Expenstiva"

Comment

Boost, Lol when I get into it, I get into it... what can I say!?

Check out my pics for more progress today!

Today, I received and installed the rear KYB's, painted the springs, repaired (trimmed) the bump stops, created and installed a rear torsion-arm sway bar... great improvement in the handling and responsiveness - for $19 in parts!

Dean, my girlfriend just called (7:15ish) and said she saw a yellow Festy with graphics on Atlantic, heading toward Litchford... I have a feeling it was yours (after checking out your pics!) I work right down Old Wake Forest from that intersection... in the Kennedy Space Center across and down the road from the Honda motorcycle shop We're the last unit in the complex (heading toward Capital) - Clausen Instrument Company

Cheers,
                        -Scott
                        Last edited by 95Compact; 04-09-2009, 06:45 PM.

Comment

Scott,

Your girlfriend has the eye for these cars

Yes that was my yellow car.

Your only about a mile from the house.

E-mail me at deanraleighnc@cs.com with your number and best time to call.

Always willing to help.

Headed out in the morning to pick up another Festiva.

Dean
                          Raleigh, NC
                          The wife and I are attending this meet. Come convoy with us.Come to the 1st annual "Sunshine Meet" March 20th 2010. Details in the thread below.
                          http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...292#post295292

www.festivameets.com

Festiva Convoy video link [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyFYJcFBc_g[/urlhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANbkG...eature=related

3rd Annual Festiva Madness. The largest Festiva Meet ever held of owners and their cars 2009 Festiva Madness link with pictures. 51 Festivas & 4 Aspires from eight states attended.

FM3 short 5 minute clip
                          Link to a short 5 minute clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFyy-zxgV5A

http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=24695
                          link to 100s of meets pictures and short video clips.http://s1019.photobucket.com/albums/af316/festivameets/
                          4th Annual Festiva Madness meet will be held Oct 2, 2010 in Raleigh, NC
                          Cell is 919-271-5190 deanraleighnc@cs.com

Comment

Welcome dude! It looks like your off to a great start! are you going to Ohiostiva to show off your new ride?
                            89' Maroon and black Festiva LX with a sunroof. :alien:

Comment

Welcome aboard! Seems like you have everything under control.
                              Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
                              The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

Working...
                              X