Dunno where to ask this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dunno where to ask this

Does anyone know what the 2 grooves on the roof are for. They don't appear to be made of metal...

(mods, move this to where ever it should go... I'm just not sure where that would be?)
    Mon arme a moi, c'est un stylo.

I would think possibly the Custom Interiors/Exteriors Forum. I dont think they really do anything. Possibly cover some type of seem. I bet I know who would know for sure though. FB71, he knows everything. Well OK maybe not everything, but quite a bit anyways. :p
    Search Master - Honorary Member of Midwest Festiva Inc., Gulf Coast Chapter

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
    - Unknown
    I don't like superstitious people. They're bad luck. - Serge A. Storms

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
    - Quentin Crisp

God, please save me from your followers!
    - Bumper Sticker

Comment

I was thinking of drilling into them to mount my custom roof rack.
      Mon arme a moi, c'est un stylo.

Comment

Rain gutters

Comment

That seam is where the outer roof panel is seamed to the body sides. The seam may be spot welded or roll welded and then the seam sealer hides the joint.

I wouldn't be drilling in that seam, you might wide up with a water leak.

Comment

ditch molding

He is correct. That is called the ditch molding. Depending how they are feeling on Monday morning, the roof should be placed on straight so that the the gap in both of the ditches are identical before they weld. Worst case, they have a bad hangover and they are off a little. One side would be wider than the other. The other a little narrower. Good place to check to see what day the car was made on. Dodge Durangos had six moldings to fill the gaps, but only two part numbers. They always have perfect gaps. Just don't get in an accident and order a replacement ditch molding.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike McKown View Post
              That seam is where the outer roof panel is seamed to the body sides. The seam may be spot welded or roll welded and then the seam sealer hides the joint.

I wouldn't be drilling in that seam, you might wide up with a water leak.
              that is correct the seam appears to be rolled I have my moldings off at the moment if you want a picture

91 L - modified to SLX- "Tin Can Project"
              http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2850897
              92 GL - parts car
              97 aspire - parts car
              87 323 DX - daily driver

Visit My Store - New Products available!
              http://www.cafepress.com/tunner

Car enthusiasts will respect all makes and models that preform.
              Brand enthusiasts are the root of all problems in the car community.

Comment

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post

Depending how they are feeling on Monday morning, the roof should be placed on straight so that the the gap in both of the ditches are identical before they weld. Worst case, they have a bad hangover and they are off a little. One side would be wider than the other. The other a little narrower. Good place to check to see what day the car was made on.
                Do you really believe this?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike McKown View Post
                  Do you really believe this?
                  Back in the day before robots built cars, this was true for sure!!!!! Same for house builders too. :-)

Comment

slightly

Like I said before. For the Durango, Chrysler ordered a narrow for one side and a wide for the other with just a phone call I believe the difference was about +/- .010". Or, because the moldings were handed, a wide for the left hand and a narrow for the left hand. Ocassionally, they would run nominal - nominal. But most of the time they phoned to expedite (fly at their cost) the alternate parts. We kept telling them, that they had them in their warehouse, but they didn't know which one. Guess who paid for it? You and every other taxpayer.

Comment

They simply cover an in-expensive body joint...which adds a little web strenght to the car.
                      Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
                      The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

You just need the factory roof rack , then it wouldnt be a problem.

sigpic
                        The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
                        https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
                        Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

Working...
                        X