Injector cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Injector cleaning

Anyone have a suggestion or recommendations from experience on an injector cleaning kit? I know the big $3K machines that clean the entire system work best, but I'm thinking of one of those refillable canister kits with a hanger, press gauge, adapters, etc..
    Some of the OTC, NAPA and 3M ones are like $300-$400, is there anything out there that works for around $150 or less?

I have a lot of EFI Fords (an '86 and a '97 5.0L, a '97 5.8L, a '97 4.6L Mod, an '04 4.6L and of course a '93 Festiva) and all except the '04 have over 100K. I think it would be a good investment. Currently I just use Chevron Techron in the tank, clean the TB with spray cleaner and inject Sea-Foam through a vacuum port.
    Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
    04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
    62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
    Not enough time or money for any of them

I use a bottle of GumOut once or twice a year.

It has always been my experience/opinion that if you use clean gas and change the fuel filter every year or so...you should never have to have the injectors cleaned.

If I have an injector out of the car...I'll soak it in some carb cleaner.
    Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
    The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

I have a homemade way of doing it.

1 Take the fuel pump fuse out.
      2 Take the injectors out.
      3 Put some inj. cleaner in them and use an airhose with a rubber tip and 100 psi. While holding the pressure to the inj. have someone turn the car over (which pulses the inj open)
      4 Look at spray pattern
      5 Reinstall.

I have used this technique for years and it has always worked. I even made a small plug so i can pulse them myself on the bench.
      -Greg
      Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
      BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
      Redneck Engineer
      FOTY - '09
      5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

I use a 9 volt battery to hold them open and spray cleaner through them. You can see the pattern change as they get clean.....I do this on low impedance injectors...not sure if the high impedance injectors can handle "100% duty cycle" for any length of time.....
        1986 Comp Prep SVO Mustang(1 of 83) Four cylinder turbo! (Think first Fox body "R" model!)
        1995 F-150 Extra Cab and it was free!
        1991 Festiva L, Surf Blue with A/C
        1995 Jeep Cherokee 2wd 5 speed 4.0 and it was free!
        1993 Aqua Festiva and it was cheap!
        1994 Brake Swap and it was cheap!
        1969 Ford F100 Big Block Ranger and it was free! (coming 2/12)

Comment

if your injectors are out of the car,sending them out is cost effective and turnaround is usually 1 day, plus they can balance them for you as well.
          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
            plus they can balance them for you as well.
            What the heck...I never new such a thing existed....how do they do that?
            Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
            The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
              if your injectors are out of the car,sending them out is cost effective and turnaround is usually 1 day, plus they can balance them for you as well.
              I saw that on EBay when I searched for injector cleaning kits. Looks pretty cool, plus they send you a flow results sheet that shows before and after!

I guess I'm not just thinking of the injectors, but the fuel rails, intake tract and IAC as well.
              I stopped at NAPA today and bought a $49 kit from 3M that had a bottle of "Super Concentrated" cleaner to dump in the tank, a spray can of Throttle Body cleaner and a pressurized bottle of intake wash solvent. The washing solvent uses a length of small (1/8" OD) poly tubing with a 180 Deg bend at the end. You are supposed to stick it into the throttle body opening, pinching it between TB and the rubber intake hose. They said the local repair shops all swear by it. When I got out to the car I opened the package and there was no poly tubing. The solvent can had a puncture top like Freon cans, and it said "tubing adapter kit #XXXX required". I went back inside and they looked it up and came back with a box with 36" of poly tubing and a brass adapter with a needle valve. It looked like an ice maker installation kit from Home Depot, except it retailed for $139! Needless to say, I exchanged the $49 kit for a bottle of Chevron Techron, A can of TB cleaner and a can of Sea Foam and got change back.

I need to figure out a way to pressurize a refillable container and find some small poly tubing. Then I can just use Sea Foam.
              Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
              04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon

Comment

Harbor Freight sells a refillable aerosol can that can be pressurized with a air hose. It might work. I bought it last year to mix my on lubes and paint to spray. Has worked pretty good for me.
                1960 willys pickup
                1967 jeep cj5

1988 festiva
                1989 festiva
                1990 festiva for parts
                1991 s-10

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" —Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

Originally posted by worfdog View Post
                  Harbor Freight sells a refillable aerosol can that can be pressurized with a air hose. It might work. I bought it last year to mix my on lubes and paint to spray. Has worked pretty good for me.
                  Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out!
                  Brian

Comment

Working...
                  X