Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another update

Recap:
    The last few weeks we have been getting everything right for the engineer. Having done everything as instructed- the car was booked for emissions testing. Having failed we started looking for tuners to assist getting through.

Anyhoo- as per last update we found another engineer who would pass w no emissions test. After finding that we could net be inspected immediately, we booked in for boost / fuel increases. The next drama was when we found the computer was password locked and the tune was called off.

Fast forward three weeks to today.
    I booked the car in today (delivered yesterday) for said tune. When i called they had it up on the dyno. So....
    hopefully thisafternoon we might have a nice power run with videos, pictures and results??
    And....
    The car is booked in and will FINALLY be passed for engineers next week.

FINALLY we can enjoy some PROPER road use. Regardless i will update this evening.

Cheers.

Sweet!! You'll get that aspire on the road yet
    -Josh R

Comment

This is awesome! Can't wait to hear the results!!
      Brian
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
      :fish:

Comment

Good luck :thumbright: hope all goes good!!

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
        1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
        2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Sounds like good news, it's a shame you have to jump through all these ropes.

Comment

Ditto on what everyone has said. Cant wait to see some results from that beast!
            Search Master - Honorary Member of Midwest Festiva Inc., Gulf Coast Chapter

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
            - Unknown
            I don't like superstitious people. They're bad luck. - Serge A. Storms

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
            - Quentin Crisp

God, please save me from your followers!
            - Bumper Sticker

Comment

Grrr. Shouldn't have spoken so soon.

Start rant:
              If there's one guarantee, it's that the automotive trade has some of the worst customer satisfaction / feedback / honesty i have ever come to deal with.
              It's not only now, and with this car, it's EVERY car and EVERY shop in one way, shape or form.
              This has only become the forefront of my mind because of the following. Thank goodness i have a short memory.

To start with, I asked if i could video the power run (due to this being so important to me - for obvious reasons).
              He was like "Um, yeah, it Shoooould be okay? As long as you are here when we do it. We haven't got time to wait around for you to get here". (Like i'm waiting now to get my beloved car back???)

Okay, so in your opinion, (and ballpark figure) How much cash should i bring?
              "Um, we really don't know. The car has a very complex computer, and we need to start a new map from scratch".

Not even a ballpark? Like 5 bucks, or 5,000 bucks? I need to organise moneys- which can prove difficult with shift work.
              "No. It'll have to wait and see. The problem with your car is that it isn't a mainstream modification, and as such requires extra vigilance".

Righteo. Fair enough.
              And what about a time frame? I have taken three days off work to make this happen. Will it be done before i head back to work? *and keep in mind the car was booked in THREE WEEKS AGO*.
              "We don't know. We have had some problems with the Nissan (on the dyno) and need to finish that first. Yours will go on next"

Sweet. I ask because i need to organise transportation and cash in advance.
              "Could be this afternoon, could be next week, could be next month".

I would like to advise that i haven't got a boost controller.
              "so you have no boost controller?"
              No, and i don't intend to.
              "Why not?"
              Once the tune is set, i have no reason to change power output via boost control. The car will only be driven every other day. It is not my daily driver.
              "Okay"

*And like i said in the other thread- this computer is PASSWORD locked. So if i don't get the tune here- I'm up for another 1,800 dollars for a new base map, THEN the performance tune ON TOP OF THAT*.

God i hate this car sometimes.

I'm so sorry i won't have this opportunity to share this part of the build. I can safely say that i won't be able to get the video, due to shift- and let's be honest. I can't take the rest of the year off waiting.

Remember when the 6 week paint job turned into 7 months??? Haha!

So- as i said before- they said it was up on the dyno. Surprisingly (or not) the car had not moved from where i parked it yesterday MORNING. BTW it's currently 4PM.
              THAT'S why i'm mad. The rest i can deal with. (As i have MANY times before)
              If i had not gone to the shop for a surprise visit- what would they tell me?

...And the car is parked VERY close to other vehicles. The shop cars don't worry me. It's irresponsible, careless and jealous people. Be it customers brushing by it, deliveries, and other vehicles out of the shops control.
              Not that this car is a million dallar car or anything. It's my pride and joy.
              ....And every day goes by it's covered in dusty filth from the main road nearby. NOW i'm being stoopid

Watch this space for results.....

BTW- is this an international thing? Do you guys (and girls) have similar issues, or is just lazy Aussies?
              Last edited by festymick; 05-06-2009, 12:39 AM.

Comment

Same crap everywhere just more options(places) to take it to
                -Greg
                Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
                BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
                Redneck Engineer
                FOTY - '09
                5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

christ, any way for you to take it someplace else? that is just some shifty/shady treatment.

Comment

UPDATE:
                    Done.
                    We had (as expected) problems with the driveline. While everything has held together for the moment- the tuner isn't happy with the setup. The original plan was to put a stage 5 - 21psi spring into the gate but was reduced to a stage 4 - 14 pound spring to assist with reliability.
                    With the tuner very happy with the actual engine- we decided (in the end) to also fit up a dual solenoid boost controller- bringing the boost to 17psi.
                    So....
                    As of this afternoon running 14psi- it made 126kw atw, and 139kw atw on 17psi. This equates to a tad shy of 190hp i think?

We will be picking up the car in the morning and i'll be driving it home.

I'm still miffed that they DIDN'T call me for the power run. It only means i'll be making road videos in the coming weeks.

Comment

So the car, and the paint made it home in one piece?

WHEW!!!!

That sort of thing, and the runaround meatgrinder you were put through give guys that try to do an honest, professional job on cars a bad name. I can understand it is hard to nail down a price when dealing with the unknown, but they *could* have at least put the car somewhere safe, instead of out where the public could damage it!

Michael
                      Have owned 9 so far
                      White 89 L converted to LX "The Curmudgeon" Being a Curmudgeon right now.
                      Blue 89 L converted to LX "Shtinky" FMS crate engine,cam,flywheel,hail dents
                      Smurf Blue 90 LX "Smurffy" He Ran Away From Home!!!!!! Says Willie loves him more than I did!
                      Red 88 L converted to LX "Rasta, Mon" Now retired
                      Where did all these @#*&%$ Toyotas come from around here?

Comment

glad to hear you finally got it through!!!

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                        1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                        2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

I'll try my best to grab some footage of the trip home (in about an hour!). I'm so excited! I have never own or driven a boosted car before!!! (apart from this one with 4psi).

Comment

Wer'e home, but not without more small issues.
                            *The oil feed line to the turbo is leaking onto the exhaust. I will fix it when the engine gets cold.
                            *The clutch is not going to last. opened the throttle in 5th gear on the motorway on the way home- slipping already. I will have to invest in an upgrade me thinks.
                            *The drivers window has ceased to operate. Will need some investigation.
                            *The boost controller has been mounted, but i wish to relocate it. It currently sits under the cd player.
                            *The under-dash LED's have been shifted out of their brackets. Will need to refit those.
                            *The LED for the immobiliser has fallen through. Will also fix that when i get the time.
                            and finally the car needs some TLC. the engine is filthy, as is the interior. Outside is dusty but unharmed.
                            All in all though- it seems nice. Wheelspins in 2nd under throttle, all the way to 80kph. I (briefly) gave it a squirt on the motorway- 200 with no hesitation (WITH slipping clutch).

Once we sort out the rego side of things- i'll pop up a new video.

Thanks

Comment

oooooOOOOO YA!!!! vids im glad it passed and its ok.

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
                              1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

Working...
                              X