Hood Support-Rod Bracket Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hood Support-Rod Bracket Removal

The plastic bracket that the hood support-rod snaps into, when not in use, broke on my 1990 Festiva L. I found one in a junk yard yesterday, but couldn't figure out how to remove it without breaking it. It looks to me like I'll have to get to the back side of the engine compartment wall to release it. Here are my two questions:

1. Is it possible to remove this bracket from inside the engine compartment?
    2. If not, what do I have to remove to gain access to the other side of the engine compartment wall? Since I'll be removing it from junked Festiva, a quick and dirty answer would sufice.

Hope some of you have solved this problem and will share your experience with me.

John Gunn
    Coronado, CA
    John Gunn
    Coronado, CA

Improving anything
    Improves everything. Copyright 2011 John Gunn

Just pull the fender off and you can unclip it from the backside then.
    -93' L BP swap/e-series, coilovers, RIO front swap, redrilled festy drums, Miata 14" 7 spokes.
    -88' Mazda 323 SE, work in progress..
    -85' Nissan Sentra 5 spd.

Comment

you may be able to get a puddy knife behind it to pust down the tabs that hold it in.... just a thought....

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
      1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

Originally posted by Ford_For_Life View Post
        Just pull the fender off and you can unclip it from the backside then.
        This would be the easiest way to do it, just 4 10mm bolts
        89' Maroon and black Festiva LX with a sunroof. :alien:

Comment

Originally posted by Ogrestiva View Post
          This would be the easiest way to do it, just 4 10mm bolts
          Don't forget the wheelwell screws!!
          Chuck
          Life's a beach, then you marry one---- Shakespeare
          If money will fix it, it's not broken
          91 GL -Ol' Rusty
          93 GL - Lil Red
          91 L - Tweetystiva
          http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54176
          http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54596

Comment

and the bumber mount and the one down by the bottom of the frnder (by the side skirt)

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
            1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

^^Or the one on the inside of the door, but that's assuming that they are salvageable. You could just bend a rusted fender aside to get at it.
              89' Maroon and black Festiva LX with a sunroof. :alien:

Comment

what does the original hole look like? I had this problem on my accord once, lots of head scratching cuz it was a square hole, and on the bottom of the bracket was a cross... took me ten minutes to realize that I just had to turn it 45 degrees to get it out... so give that a try
                -Tim
                93 Festy L- Little Red
                98 Ranger- The golf ball
                92 Accord- The $20 car (R.I.P)
                73 F-100 (looking for a 302)

"Wait... you mean they pay people to fix their cars? Idiots..."

Comment

CHAINSAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! err... no sorry ... the fender ... yeah. "twitches"
                  Jeremy.S
                  1988 black lx 5spd cancer victim
                  1989 red lx 5spd , cancer free lots o options,
                  1983 Subaru GL 4x4 wagon, It's a monster!

Comment

Done - Thanks to All Who Helped

Originally posted by knux511 View Post
                    what does the original hole look like?
                    The hole is square, though with the bracket in place it is difficult to see that. Before launching into fender removal, I turned the bracket through 360 degrees, trying to work it loose as I tuned. No luck. Looking at the removed bracket I would say it would be impossible to get it out from inside the engine compartment without breaking it. The reason for the shape of the hole would seem to be so that the bracket will hold in the correct position and not rotate, as it would if the hole were round.

Getting the fender loose enough to reach in and release the bracket wasn't difficult. It took only about 15 minutes, working at a leisurely Southern California pace. I had to remove only four bolts before being able to pull the fender away enough to get my hand through the crack. No damage was done to the fender in the process. The bolts I removed were the three on the top of the fender and the one revealed when the left side running light is removed.

Thanks to all who responded. Wanting to do my part for any who might come to this thread with the same problem, I am attaching a couple of pictures of the bracket so they will know exactly what they will be dealing with.

I love this car. To me it represents the perfect essence of what an automobile should be. Less would be less and so would more. Thanks again.

John Gunn
                    Coronado, CA
                    John Gunn
                    Coronado, CA

Improving anything
                    Improves everything. Copyright 2011 John Gunn

Comment

Working...
                    X