fun tracing previous owners repairs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fun tracing previous owners repairs

been working on my Festiva now that it is nice enough to be out there daily . i've been trying everything to get my festy to stop over-heating and missed the most simple problem.. the previous owner rewired the rad fan onto a switch thats under the dash. and thats the reason why it wont come on haha...

so I made a trip to the Pick'nPull and got a new rad fan wire and fixed the problem. One small problem finished, many to go!

I think it may need a headgasket change though, not looking forward to that ><

Yeah its always fun when a previous owner rather than fix a simple problem half ****s it to get it going. Thats fine for a temp fix to get you home or whatever. But to leave it like that is just :tard:
    Search Master - Honorary Member of Midwest Festiva Inc., Gulf Coast Chapter

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
    - Unknown
    I don't like superstitious people. They're bad luck. - Serge A. Storms

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
    - Quentin Crisp

God, please save me from your followers!
    - Bumper Sticker

Comment

good that you found the problem - its always nice when someone "fixes" something and you have to figure out what they did. Wireing is always the worst to. One thing I've done on mine is draw a wiring diagram and label what wire changes to what color when I make a repair or do some custom mod. I make a copy of the diagram from my factory book and then make the changes to the diagram then file it back in the book so I have it for future mods or repairs.
      Last edited by Festiva_tunner; 05-19-2009, 09:08 AM. Reason: spelling

91 L - modified to SLX- "Tin Can Project"
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2850897
      92 GL - parts car
      97 aspire - parts car
      87 323 DX - daily driver

Visit My Store - New Products available!
      http://www.cafepress.com/tunner

Car enthusiasts will respect all makes and models that preform.
      Brand enthusiasts are the root of all problems in the car community.

Comment

^^^ that's why I keep old harnesses. I strip out a piece of the same color-code wire for repairs/ mods.
        Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
        Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Gotta love the homemade repairs that are more complex/ineffective than the part they were meant to replace...

I had a similar setup with my fan involving 8 gauge wire and a giant welding clamp. I guess it was too hard to go to the junkyard, pocket a temp switch, and install it? The proper repair cost me $2 in admission to the yard and a half hour of my time.

Just be glad the wiring on our cars doesn't rot, like it did on my Volvo 740. THAT was a nightmare to repair!

-Tim
          White '89L auto - Sold!
          Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

when i got my metro, the guy had the down pipe held on by a C clamp....:scratch:
            90 Festiva L Auto - Parts
            93 Festiva L 5 speed
            93 Festiva LX 5 speed

Comment

I had the same issue with Casper... The PO (DJ) passed away, and he purchased it not too long before that from another member on the board. The original member was the person who put the car together, hacked the wiring harness together and for some reason something in the car blew and wouldn't run for DJ.

I ended up swapping a full new harness in, since I didn't feel like tracing down the problem with whatever harness the PO had in there.

Glad you got it sorted out... I need want to do a manual override on my fan. Have it come on when it needs to be, but have a switch that I can make it turn on when I feel like it needs to be.
              Simon - pimptiva.com

Comment

OMG wow not to bring up the past or bad feelings but this is honestly the first I knew about DJ... He was a great guy always willing to answer my questions and help out. I kept wondering why I never seen any updates to his cardomain page or anything. He will be missed alot

Comment

Overheating?!

Originally posted by hermit View Post
                  i've been trying everything to get my festy to stop over-heating ><
                  If anything, these cars tend to run too cool. Maybe your rad is clogged, or you have a thermostat that is stuck partially closed.

You shouldn't even need a fan, unless you're idling it for a long time. I took the fan off my 91 Subaru Loyale ( it was driven by the water pump pulley & I wanted to free up some horsepower/save on gas) and it ran fine--just made sure to not idle it too long.
                  90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                  09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Working...
                  X