storing parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• storing parts

my basement has high humidity and parts tend to get rusty and i wanted to know how i can solve this problem. i was going to get some big zip lock bags and see if that would work.

WD-40 sprayed on parts will prevent rust, or a light film of lightweight oil, like sewing machine oil. There are dessicant bags and packets available that soak up moisture. If the parts are small, using some zip-lock bags along with some small dessicant packets will do.
    If it has boobs or wheels, sooner or later you're going to have trouble with it.
    Mark S.

Comment

Ship them to my house and you won't have that problem! Seriously though Deathegg has some good ideas!
      Brian
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
      :fish:

Comment

you could buy a Dehumidifier we had one in out basement it removes the moisture out of the air..works pretty good to...

Ford Festiva L
        Automatic

Comment

Dehumidifier would be a good investment in any case.. extends the life of your furnace and any appliances in the basement. You can pick one up on cl or a yard sale and save some cash.
          Jeremy.S
          1988 black lx 5spd cancer victim
          1989 red lx 5spd , cancer free lots o options,
          1983 Subaru GL 4x4 wagon, It's a monster!

Comment

Yeah my parents had to buy one becase their room is in the basement. It was so bad that they couldnt even sleep down their so now they bought one and it is all good. They have to empty it like once or twice a day thought.

Comment

you can get one that emptys down a drain on it's own..
              Originally posted by graywolf_14 View Post
              Yeah my parents had to buy one becase their room is in the basement. It was so bad that they couldnt even sleep down their so now they bought one and it is all good. They have to empty it like once or twice a day thought.

Ford Festiva L
              Automatic

Comment

Both CRC and LPS make a spray barrier (also available in in aerosol can) designed to prevent surface rusting of freshly machined parts and surfaces for storage. I sell it to many customers who machine small parts in production environments. WD-40 also works well. The desiccant packets are also an excellent idea.
                Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

ahh just wd-40 like Deathegg said it works just lay a rag or old towl down under them

Comment

well yeah wd40 will work but it is not fixing the problem that you have.

Comment

Working...
                    X