Front end Wurble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front end Wurble

Three weeks ago I bought this very clean 1988 Festiva with only 83,000 miles on it. I have a wurble in the front end at speeds over 55 mph. I have replaced the shocks, replaced the lower control arms, had the tires ballanced, had it alligned, and purchased tie rods which will go on tomorrow. I will keep on looking and replacing stuff until I find it, but any known problems would be a help.

Scott
    Last edited by scott; 06-06-2009, 12:01 PM.

look at the front rims carefully,
    they may balance out, but they still could be bent

I am the original

Comment

I have the same thing on my 93GL i just bought but it only happens when i hit a hole or bump. I'm going to start replacing front end of it also.
      Thom-Lifes too short, don't blink
      93 Festiva (Little Red Truck)
      01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

Possibly a dodgy tyre.

Try swapping fronts to back?

Comment

i have the same problem, AND i changed all my front end parts, its even worst when i step on the breaks
          JAMAICA TO THE WORLD
          I don't complain, i just come plain.

Comment

I second the wheel/tire suggestion. I had a front rim that would balance fine, but was bent just enough so that I could never actually get a smooth ride over about 50 mph.

BTW, assuming that's your Festy on your Avatar? Brings back memories. That's pretty much what mine looked like before I had the bat infestation.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
            1989 L - 247K miles Slick
            1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
            Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Thanks for the input. The tires are new, and I have rotated the fronts to the back and the same wurble has happened. Tomorrow the tie rods get changed. Keep your fingers crossed.

Just in case, what 13" wheels will fit the bolt pattern?

I will post a few pictures if I can find my camera. My daughter borrowed it and it has not been seen since.

Scott

Comment

Your game plan is good...the inner tie rod ends could be the problem...not just the outers...I'm not sure what yourpalnning on changing.

Also a bent rotor disc could cuase the problem but you would feel the problem while braking.

Or stuck disc brake caliper bolts. Check to see that the caliper slides freely.

Or...belt separation internal to the tire...lift the supspect wheel ever so slightly off the ground and spin it. If it scuffs the ground at one spot...a high spot in the tire...you need some new shoes.

I would not expect wheel bearings because the 'warble' would be accompanied by noise.

I'm betting tie rod ends...inner or outers or both...I had this problem about a year ago.
                http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=15003

The control arms...if bad will mis-behave at low speed when turning or hitting a slight bump.

While at it...check the condition of you sway bar bushings...you've probalbly have since you changed the control arms.
                Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
                The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

If you do change the front sway-bar bushings, Auto-Zone usually has a replacement in the high-performance parts section, made by Energy Suspensions. Believe it's the 7/8" size and it comes with polyurethane bushings and new brackets (with grease fittings) which bolt right on for like $20.

Made a noticeable difference on my Festy when I replaced the stock (270k mi) bushings and I would suggest it for any Festy owner, since the front suspension relies on the sway bar for wheel triangulation..

-S
                  Last edited by 95Compact; 06-06-2009, 07:27 PM.
                  White '88, 280kmi, Weber 32/36 DGEV Carb with Rocketman Carb Adapter

Comment

I've already bought new tires and put them on. Mine only does it when i hit a bump or pothole and its every so slight but i can feel it in steering wheel. So im going to get struts for front and new shocks in back and then start putting new tie rod inner and outer on and sway bar bushings. Hopefully this solve it.
                    01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

Jglutz, thanks for the e-mail link to the string on the rack and pinion R & R. I think I will try replacing the tie rods in the car first. I ran a rack & pinion remanufacturing operation where we rebuilt over 100 units a day. You would think I would have little problem with this, but being management, my time spent actually rebuilding racks was Zero.
                      Milehighbear, RockAuto.com sells KYB struts for the Festiva for under $200 for all 4 and they pay the freight. I had to wait a week for them, but it was well worth the wait.

Comment

ty scott, i'll check them out.
                        01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

wheels bearings been changed??
                          ---------------------------------------------------
                          The Jester - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter
                          ---------------------------------------------------
                          BUILD'EM CHEAP, RUN'EM HARD, REPAIR'EM DAILY!

Comment

on who's car. Mine haven't been changed, but i have lifted front end off ground and checked the bearings. Mine aren't grinding and there's no play whatsoever when i wiggle it top to bottom.
                            01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

I've got this problem on mine. I've had the tires R+B'd and aligned. Replaced the rack and pinion. Replaced the rotors and wheel bearings. Replaced all the belts. It still worbels over 40mph and picks up a shudder around 65mph.

Is your car air conditioned? I think it might have to do with the air conditioner.

Comment

Working...
                              X