Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where are you buying tires and for how much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where are you buying tires and for how much?

Used to be Mavis had the $19.99 12" tire deal but they changed that a couple years ago. The couple places I've talked to recently are saying about $50 each. That's not that great for a tire that is half the material of most other tires. Help me out here... where are the online sources?
    4-spd 1989 Festiva - carburated baby!

It's been a while since I bought tires, but they have always been between 20-$25 each when I have(and I've gone through quite a few sets). Have you checked Sears? The last set I bought there I'm pretty sure they were right around $20. After adding add on mounting/balancing, valve stems, and tax I think I paid around $130 for the set.

Comment

I went to sears the other day to get tires and they couldn't get any that were descent. All they had were bad tires, at least that is what the sales person told me. They also charge like $25 per tire installation. I got my tires at Tires Plus. 155/80/R12 for $174 installed.
      The Festiva Store
      Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

You can buy the "155/80-12 Kumho Power Star 758" for $22 ea at Tirerack. Probably about $25 for shipping, and some local mounting for another $30 or so. Seems like a pretty reasonable price to me, at least to get a tire from a company I have heard of.

89 L

Comment

The days of cheap (under 20 bucks) tires for Festivas is gone.

The baseline for "small" these days is either 155/80-13 or 175/70-13. Think Chevettes and later Rabbits and Golfs. Also many of the upscale Metros had 13" wheels with those sizes.

With other more popular vehicles going to 15, 16 and 17" wheels and larger, our little toys are no longer en vogue.

I did a post about this problem about a year ago.

In a few more years, either the 12" sizes will be extremely hard to get or we'll get a newer crop of micro cars in the U.S. which will renew our stock rubber needs.

In the meantime, unless you get lucky with a set of good used tires you're outta luck.

For my next set of new tires I'm going for 165/70HR-13s from Hercules, special order, to go on my Aspire alloys when I need them. Cost will be around $45 a tire mounted and balanced.

For anyone interested, here's the Hercules website link:

Hercules also has some other names: Signet and Merit. Look up the phone numbers of dealers near you and call for prices. The complete catalog is online, and they do have some of the sizes we can use.

I actually have 165/70-12 Signets on my '93GL right now. (Thanks again, Brian!)

Karl
          '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
          '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
          '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
          '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
          '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

i bought my 40,000 mile tires at walmart for $24.99 each. i think they are Douglas

Comment

I just bought my UHP summer tires for about 90$ each tire. Keep in mind they are 1204/45/16's with great tread life and very aggressive tread pattern

Comment

Working...
              X