Festiva Convertible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Festiva Convertible

Ok, here's my question, i was thinking of cutting the top off the Festiva. As you can see, i have already cut back off. Now, i know it's a uni-body and the cab is probably support beam for car. Would it be possible to weld a piece of steel between the two points on each side and make it strong enough so it doesn't fold in the middle. Then i was thinking about manufactoring a top that folds down or folds into the bed in back. Has anyone ever tried this. I dont want to ruin a perfectly good car if its not possible.
    Thom-Lifes too short, don't blink
    93 Festiva (Little Red Truck)
    01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Have you seen this?
    GL, 1993, festiva, ford, hot, red, Weld, 15, inch, wheels
    "Lane, I've been going to this high school for seven and a half years. I'm no dummy."

Gone but never forgotten, "Hulkstiva"...http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ht=progression

Comment

no i hadn't, but thats not what i want to do. I already have the back cut off as you can see. I want to cut the rest of the top off just behind the windshield. I may have to weld a couple bars into the windshield frame for support or possibly get a jeep window since its shorter. My main thing is the uni-body folding. I may also have to re-do the doors because of window frame, but all that is imaterial if body won't fold. I can't tell if the whole top is cut out of the one in the picture.
      Last edited by milehighbear; 06-12-2009, 09:14 PM.
      01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

I don't think the whole top is cut out but I'm not really sure. Just thought I'd link that to you since it was similar to what you were talking about
        Edit: Looking at the pic again I'm pretty sure the front part isn't cut because it looks to have a sunroof
        Last edited by lanemeyer14; 06-12-2009, 09:18 PM.
        "Lane, I've been going to this high school for seven and a half years. I'm no dummy."

Gone but never forgotten, "Hulkstiva"...http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ht=progression

Comment

I had one cut off just behind the windshield before i scrapped it. Personally i wouldn't do it. The sides won't fold in, you can brace it to improve the overall unibody structure but it won't be the same as a stock car.
          ---------------------------------------------------
          The Jester - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter
          ---------------------------------------------------
          BUILD'EM CHEAP, RUN'EM HARD, REPAIR'EM DAILY!

Comment

I appreciate that too. Sorry, didn't mean to snap at you lanemeyer14, lol
            Last edited by milehighbear; 06-12-2009, 09:20 PM.
            01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

Originally posted by milehighbear View Post
              I appreciate that too. Sorry, didn't mean to snap at you lanemeyer14, lol
              Haha, it's cool!

Comment

I have my other 93GL and i'm going to fix it up and not do any cutting on it. Just thought it might be cool to have a festiva convertible for the summer and drive my other one in winter. Course i'd have to get me a nice hat and a maybe a scarf around the neck, a pipe, you know the type, lol
                01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

There was a guy in my hometown who had a home made convertible. He cut the top off of a Plymouth Valiant. It was cool when he first did it, but a month later you could see the car starting to sag in the middle. After two months, the doors wouldn't open anymore, but he just climbed over. After a couple of months more, the car started driving kind of strange. Last time anyone saw it, the car had sort of a "curved" look. Last I heard of it was when a friend told me that he saw it in the middle of the road. The drive shaft had fallen out of it.
                  Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
                  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
                  '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
                  '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

You mean like this, milehigh?

Wish I had a bigger pic, but all my good pics got trashed when my computer crashed a couple of years ago.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
                    1989 L - 247K miles Slick
                    1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
                    Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

yea, like that. How did they or you strengthen the frame.
                      01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

I wish I knew. That car used to have a site on the Festiva Webring, but it's been gone for quite a while. The guy did a very brief how to. That car was actually a hard top convertible. I emailed him while the site was still up asking for a more detailed how to. Was going to post it on here if anybody was interested. But he never answered.

Comment

If you could get a look at 1 of those metro convertables they are similar size and unibody. Might give you some insights.. better yet if you could find 1 in a jy the top parts might work for ya. Just an idea.. I know theres 1 in a small town near here been sitting over a yr.
                          Jeremy.S
                          1988 black lx 5spd cancer victim
                          1989 red lx 5spd , cancer free lots o options,
                          1983 Subaru GL 4x4 wagon, It's a monster!

Comment

I think I copied all his pics and his short write up on one of my old Win 95 or 98 computers. Have to go check the storage unit and see if I still have that one.

Comment

ty guys, appreciate the info
                              01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

Working...
                              X