60 mpg!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 60 mpg!

When 40mpg in a B6 festy just aint good enough, its time for a 250 ninja.
    Filled up for the first time since I started riding this morning, right at 60mpg, and thats with a newbie riding and not exactly being easy on it all the time :p I think I could hit 70+ cruising.

~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
    91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
    1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
    2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Nate,

That little Honda, what year and size is that?

I think I have some parts from one like that along with the engine.

You can have it next time you are down.

The engine was very low miles.

Dean
    Raleigh, NC
    The wife and I are attending this meet. Come convoy with us.Come to the 1st annual "Sunshine Meet" March 20th 2010. Details in the thread below.
    http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...292#post295292

www.festivameets.com

Festiva Convoy video link [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyFYJcFBc_g[/urlhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANbkG...eature=related

3rd Annual Festiva Madness. The largest Festiva Meet ever held of owners and their cars 2009 Festiva Madness link with pictures. 51 Festivas & 4 Aspires from eight states attended.

FM3 short 5 minute clip
    Link to a short 5 minute clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFyy-zxgV5A

http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=24695
    link to 100s of meets pictures and short video clips.http://s1019.photobucket.com/albums/af316/festivameets/
    4th Annual Festiva Madness meet will be held Oct 2, 2010 in Raleigh, NC
    Cell is 919-271-5190 deanraleighnc@cs.com

Comment

Thats a CB100, I think a 1970.

My dad is fixing it up for a friend, his grandfather bought it new but its been sitting for a few years and he decided to put it back on the road. Cleaned the carb's, fixed some lights, the tank was all rusted out, removed as much rust as possible and then gave it a good epoxy tank coating. Its running and riding now! Only thing left to fix now is the speedo. Neat little bike but to small to take on the highway.
      ~Nate

Current cars:
      91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

I hear ya on the two-wheeled MPG's!! Amazing is'nt it? I currently ride an 01 Honda XR650L that usually pulls 50MPG (because I have touring luggage hanging all over it) but my Suzuki DR350E use to get 60-65MPG....loved it! I also had a Honda CT110 that went over 100MPG's riden nicely.

Those 250 Ninjas are known for being igh geared and great on gas.

I drove my very well used 89 Festy round Canada recently, staying 60MPH or under the whole trip and was able to get 40-52MPG (depending on headwinds) this was even with hundreds of pounds of river rocks rolling around the back. So don't forget about out little rides....

In a pinch, an XFi will get over 60MPG, and keeps the rain off too.

Brenton
        Because....45 MPG.

Comment

Cruising you should be able to get better than 65mpg with that ninja 250. I have a Yamaha YZF600R and I average about 50-55, and I am always winding that thing out. It helps that my commute is 30 miles. Once I get up to speed I am there for about 20 miles without stopping.
          The Festiva Store
          Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

My stock Festy got 46.5 last weekend, on the highway, windows up, no A/C (early in the morning). I was doing about 65 - 70 the whole time. Next weekend I will try a MPG run at 50 MPH, just to see what it'll do. The tires are pumped up to 35 psi. The rear tires/wheels are stock 155/80x12, but the fronts are 155/80x13 (from a later Geo/Chevy Metro) for a little higher gearing, about 4.5%, so lower RPMs by that much. There have been no handling issues with the mismatched wheels. The important part is that the tire width and height remain the same.

I correct the odometer error by comparing the mile markers for 10 miles. If it reads 10.1 for example, then it's 1% over, so I subtract a mile for every 100 when calculating fuel mileage.

To calculate speedo error, I run it at 60 MPH indicated on the speedo for one mile, then see how many seconds it took. If it took 62 seconds, then I know it was actually going about 58 MPH.
            Last edited by TominMO; 07-06-2009, 09:04 PM.
            90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
            09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Yeah I was all over that honda 100 when I was there. I'd love to have that little thing.
              youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
                The rear tires/wheels are stock 155/80x12, but the fronts are 155/80x13 (from a later Geo/Chevy Metro) for a little higher gearing, about 4.5%, so lower RPMs by that much. There have been no handling issues with the mismatched wheels. The important part is that the tire width and height remain the same.

I correct the odometer error by comparing the mile markers for 10 miles. If it reads 10.1 for example, then it's 1% over, so I subtract a mile for every 100 when calculating fuel mileage.

To calculate speedo error, I run it at 60 MPH indicated on the speedo for one mile, then see how many seconds it took. If it took 62 seconds, then I know it was actually going about 58 MPH.
                The tires are not the same height. The 13's are 62.8 in circumferance and the 12's are 68.4.
                It throws your speedo off by about 2.8 mph. I am running that size tire on my car and at any given time the speed on the gps is approximately 3 mph different. Just an FYI
                "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                89L Silver EFI auto
                91GL Green Auto DD
                There ain't no rest for the wicked
                until we close our eyes for good.
                I will sleep when I die!
                I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

53mpg is my best in the festy. 55mph and loaded down (we were moving from PA to VA).

I'm not forgetting the festy's thats for sure, I've still got 4 of them, but now I have something to ride while the festy's are down for upgrades that are less economy-minded... turbos don't usually help MPGs

Tom - stock festiva tires size is actually 145/80/12. Sounds like your doing the math right though! Once you know how far your speedo is off, it can be adjusted by pulling the cluster and adjusting it from the back. I run mine against a GPS, make adjustments, try again, make adjustments. I'm runing 185/60/14's falken zx912s @ 45 psi and after adjuster my speedo that way its dead on.
                  ~Nate

Current cars:

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

Nate,

Festivas came with two different tire sizes, depending on if it was an L (145R12) or LX/GL (165/80R/12)
                    Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
                    Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Overlord...I didn't know that!! different size tires?

I learn something everyday here....
                      Because....45 MPG.

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
                        Very bad way to correct an odometer. Mile markers are rarely 5280 apart. Sometimes they are 5500 feet, sometimes they might be 4800 feet apart. There is a place that has three mile post markers within 1 mile of each other. Mile markers are reference points for the road compared to when they were originally built. When we design roads up here we don't even call them mile post, we call them reference points. For example mile post 197 would be called Reference Point 197, or RP 197. Some roads have resets for stationing between mile markers where the stationing may jump back 300 feet due to different projects at different times.
                        The Festiva Store
                        Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

Originally posted by skeeters_keeper View Post
                          53mpg is my best in the festy.

Tom - stock festiva tires size is actually 145/80/12. Sounds like your doing the math right though! Once you know how far your speedo is off, it can be adjusted by pulling the cluster and adjusting it from the back.
                          53 MPG is pretty darn good! I want to try it at 50 mph, although that is not too reasonable a speed on the hwy, just for the bragging rights to my SUV-afflicted friends.

Yeah I know stock tire width was originally 145mm.

Great info about adjusting the cluster--I didn't know that was possible.

"Very bad way to correct an odometer. Mile markers are rarely 5280 apart."
                          The hwy I use has mile markers every .2 miles, so I am pretty confident they are accurate enough.
                          Last edited by TominMO; 07-07-2009, 03:39 PM.
                          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                          09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Working...
                          X