Maybe it's just me? But.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe it's just me? But.

Does anyone else have a problem finding the true oil level on the dip stick. It's real hard to read after a fresh oil change. I cross sanded the end with 80 grit sand paper. Helped a little. Then i cleaned it off,heated the tip and dipped it into gun bluing. Helped a little more. But it seems that one side of the siick always reads one level and the other side another. Or just a big smear. They never seem to be the same. So i end up guessing if the oil level is right.
    Is that someone there ??? 1981 VW diesel pickup---1988.5 Suzuki Samurai tin top---1993 Festiva---1974 Bricklin SV-1 ( very thirsty basket case)---2003 Tracker(bells and whistles)

)

Yeah, hard to read, and front side and back side are different.
    But, relative to the tranny level indicator the oil stick is wonderful.
    I just make sure I put in the specified amount of oil and check it a few times via the oil sick just to make sure it reasonably close to full, and let her go.

How is your '81 VW Diesel Pickup?
    Got a '81 1.6 Diesel VW Rabbit, need to have the IP resealed, leaking fuel faster than it burns it!
    You know anyone who does this?
    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
    '92 Aqua parts Car
    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
    Your holy ghost will not save you.
    Your God plutonium will not save you.
    In fact...
    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

I also have this issue. I've found that I get the best reading after the car has sat overnight, allowing the oil to completely settle. I think oil get up into the stick neck, causing that smear.

I know it's not the best bar to set for oneself, but after seeing so many people who have bought festys and metros from me NEVER check the oil until a "knock" comes to their door, I just get it close or even a little over and feel good about it.

FX
      Because....45 MPG.

Comment

I wish i could help you with the IP leaks. But i just don't know who rebuilds them. I've been lucky so far with mine. But sooner or later i know a seal will fail. I haven't checked the price on a rebuilt one lately. But i know they were always very salty!
        Is that someone there ??? 1981 VW diesel pickup---1988.5 Suzuki Samurai tin top---1993 Festiva---1974 Bricklin SV-1 ( very thirsty basket case)---2003 Tracker(bells and whistles)

)

Comment

Originally posted by festyxfi View Post
          I also have this issue. I've found that I get the best reading after the car has sat overnight, allowing the oil to completely settle. I think oil get up into the stick neck, causing that smear.

I know it's not the best bar to set for oneself, but after seeing so many people who have bought festys and metros from me NEVER check the oil until a "knock" comes to their door, I just get it close or even a little over and feel good about it.

FX
          Agreed the reading after it has sat for some hours seems to be more consistent.
          I know a friend of mine that "back in the day" bought and sold he estimates 600 festivas (some more than once) and his SOP was 4 quarts of oil for a oil and filter change. Then he didn't have to worry about partial quarts sitting around. I'm too chicken to over fill it given our favorite vehicles penchant to leak oil from around the valve cover gasket.
          '92 Aqua parts Car
          '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K

In fact...

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

drof 89,
            there is a shop in Ohio that specializes in diesel VW's I will be sending mine to.
            just thought since you had one I'd check and see if you had dealings with anyone that might be better, closer, or cheaper.
            IP rebuild/reseal is $400!
            Want to get the beast back on the road, as I had been running a 20 to 70% WVO in it and it was doing pretty well, until the IP started to leak.
            Think it original IP so unrelated to WVO use.
            WVO filter to 1um so was as clean or cleaner than normal diesel.
            PM me if you want to talk diesel VW and/or alternate fuel.
            '92 Aqua parts Car
            '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K

In fact...

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Working...
            X