No announcement yet.

Hot Stuff - molten gum, burning shift knob, melted dash clock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Austin is now at 67 days over 100 degrees... three days away from the record. Ugh.
    Thirdman
    1992 White Festiva L - original owner
    1993 Green-ish Stinktiva™ L - totaled

Comment

Originally posted by thirdman View Post
      Austin is now at 67 days over 100 degrees... three days away from the record. Ugh.

Our son just moved from Killeen, TX. to Oahu in Hawaii, as a US Army transfer. Says the heat in Oahu is more steady and not nearly as hot as his Texas home...he was at Ft. Hood for 6 years. He told us when in Iraq, it was even worse...like 115 to 120. And they had those "camel spiders" that look really bad......eewww...... :sad4:

Comment

I lived in Austin. I even remember parts of it! Unless the yuppies have ruined everything, you deserve to suffer a little. Just think you could be living in Las Vegas, NV, or Tucson, Az. I know, Stay Drunk! Or, move to Fairbanks, AK.
        qroger

Comment

there is enough space to install some insulation inbetween the roof and headliner - but the main problem is all of the glass its a greenhouse - I have 5% limo tint on all 3 back windows and 25% on the front sides this helps quite a bit but the car will still get extreamely hot.

91 L - modified to SLX- "Tin Can Project"
          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2850897
          92 GL - parts car
          97 aspire - parts car
          87 323 DX - daily driver

Visit My Store - New Products available!
          http://www.cafepress.com/tunner

Car enthusiasts will respect all makes and models that preform.
          Brand enthusiasts are the root of all problems in the car community.

Comment

i live in weldon, ca and before that lived in ridgecrest, ca and worked in olancha, which is about and hour from death valley.

having moved here from michigan i learned the hard way about deserts and heat.

heres what ive learned about driving a car in regular 100+ temps.

shade what you can. hide what you cant. a small towel works great for steering wheels, baby booties or socks work good for shifters. just be sure its cotton or wool. synthetics melt and leave you a mess.

festys, at least for me, are big ovens. lots of glass to magnify the light, a good metallic tint helps alot.

and im saying it again, shade what you can, hide what you cant. just get it out of the direct light, be it under the seat, in the center hole or in the back seat or hatch area.
            is not sposed ta do that...
            05 subaru legacy gt
            1991 nissan nx2000(almost awesome as a festiva, my first failed mtx)
            1988(?) festiva LX 5spd (rescued from crusher,aspire swap done, working on turbocharging the 1.3...)

Comment

Now at 68 days over 100; one short of the record. My dash organizer melted off...

BUT: a high-pressure front came through and we are getting RAIN and cooler temps. Woo!
              Thirdman
              1992 White Festiva L - original owner
              1993 Green-ish Stinktiva™ L - totaled

Comment

try a solar powered fan

I am the original

Comment

Working...
                X