Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MPG run

Decided to take my Festy out for a MPG run. Here are the details:

Environmental conditions: sunny, temp in mid-70s, 85% humidity, slight breeze at most, near sea level (St. Louis).

Vehicle conditions: 91 L 5-speed, stock except 13" front tires. Two mirrors; tires 155-80x13 on front and 155-80x12 on rear, all inflated to 35 PSI cold. No A/C. Rear seat, full-size spare, 15 or so lbs of stuff in the trunk. I deliberately wanted to keep it "normal", i.e. not unusually light or aerodynamic, so the results would be a good baseline for everyone. I weigh 180 lbs.

Driving conditions: did a big loop around St. Louis, totaling 82 miles. This will cancel out the slight breeze. Drove at 55 MPH as much as possible, not much more or less. Used no electrical accessories like heater or radio. I corrected for the odometer error, which was 1.7% low with these front tires. This was measuring the odometer against the mileage markers for 20 miles. The markers were every .2 miles, so I consider them sufficiently accurate.

Result: 51 MPG. Removing the rear seat, spare tire, and stuff in the trunk (about 80 lbs total), and pulling the right mirror might have helped a little, but I suspect it would amount to no more than 1 MPG better. Higher elevation will also give better readings, due to lower air density. Less air to push through, and less gas used since the FI tries to keep a balance between air and fuel.
    Last edited by TominMO; 07-12-2009, 10:03 AM.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Nice. 51mpg FTW!! Wonder if it would hold that average for an entire tank. Tough to go exactly 55. No higher, no lower. Takes a bit of discipline. Nice report.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
    1989 L - 247K miles Slick
    1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
    Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Originally posted by batstiva View Post
      Nice. 51mpg FTW!! Wonder if it would hold that average for an entire tank. Tough to go exactly 55. No higher, no lower. Takes a bit of discipline. Nice report.
      To the degree that weight matters, it should get slightly better mileage as the tank empties. But probably minimal. I might try a run in the near future, stripping out unnecessary weight.

What is FTW?
      Last edited by TominMO; 07-12-2009, 10:16 AM.
      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

FTW=For The Win
        -93' L BP swap/e-series, coilovers, RIO front swap, redrilled festy drums, Miata 14" 7 spokes.
        -88' Mazda 323 SE, work in progress..
        -85' Nissan Sentra 5 spd.

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
          To the degree that weight matters, it should get slightly better mileage as the tank empties. But probably minimal. I might try a run in the near future, with an emptier tank and stripping out unnecessary weight. It's gonna take a while to empty the tank though!

What is FTW?
          Not sure it would make a difference going a full tank worth, and maybe is just psychological, but mine always seemed to do better on the first half of the tank. Maybe it just because it would hit 200 miles before the gauge even moved off of full.

Comment

your gauge is broken then if you get 200 miles before it drops off of full. the car has an 8 gallon tank. i can average 50mpg on the highway thats with 2 people in the car going 10 over the speed limit the whole way. that translates to 400 miles on a tank.

Comment

Originally posted by Ford_For_Life View Post
              FTW=For The Win
              Ah, got it. I'm sure someone has gotten better mileage than this though. And I edited my post, once I realized that I can't actually test it with say 1/4 tank of gas, since I won't know what I actually started with in the tank. Gas weighs about 7 lbs per gallon, so if it was 6 gallons below full, that would only amount to 42 lbs or so; probably not significant.

My next run, I will remove the rear seat, stuff in the trunk, and right mirror, and fold in the left mirror. I will remove the passenger seat (20 lbs?) and spare tire (25 lbs?), to simulate driving with less gas in the tank. All windows were of course closed when I made my run. And I am using 10W40 dino oil.
              Last edited by TominMO; 07-12-2009, 10:57 AM.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Originally posted by r34king View Post
                your gauge is broken then if you get 200 miles before it drops off of full. the car has an 8 gallon tank. i can average 50mpg on the highway thats with 2 people in the car going 10 over the speed limit the whole way. that translates to 400 miles on a tank.
                Yeah, my gauge started moving at about 60-65 miles from full. But it never covered the white line by the "F" after 82 miles.

Was your 50 mpg highway average measured as carefully as mine, i.e. compensating for odometer error at least?

I might also try advancing the disty a bit and using mid-grade gas, for more power at a given RPM. This should mean you don't have to push to pedal in so far to get up hills. Also, I have had good results, about 10% better, with a good 40,000-volt coil and a wider spark plug gap.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Be interesting to see how the next test goes. Think your weights for the back seat and spare might be a bit high, but in the ballpark. Only thing I know for sure is mine, with me and all my various and assorted crap pretty much averaged between 37-40mpg. And I seldom saw 55. :mrgreen:

Comment

Originally posted by batstiva View Post
                    Be interesting to see how the next test goes. Think your weights for the back seat and spare might be a bit high, but in the ballpark. Only thing I know for sure is mine, with me and all my various and assorted crap pretty much averaged between 37-40mpg. And I seldom saw 55. :mrgreen:
                    If you are driving an 88 L, then you have a 4-speed with a carb of course. Less efficient. You can get some Metro 13" wheels/tires for about 4.5% higher gearing.

I will weigh the stuff I remove, just so we all know.
                    Last edited by TominMO; 07-12-2009, 10:48 AM.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Originally posted by r34king View Post
                      What year did the 8 gallon tank come on?
                      I only got the 9.9 US gallon one.
                      '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                      '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                      '92 Aqua parts Car
                      '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                      '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                      Your holy ghost will not save you.
                      Your God plutonium will not save you.
                      In fact...
                      ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

I've put 11.5 gallons in mine, and that's from flat empty when my original sending unit crapped out.:tard::tard:

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
                          If you are driving an 88 L, then you have a 4-speed with a carb of course. Less efficient. You can get some Metro 13" wheels/tires for about 4.5% higher gearing.

I will weigh the stuff I remove, just so we all know.
                          Yep, the carbed versions are less fuel efficient than the EFIs, but getting out of a truck that got maybe 8mpg, and into a car that got around 40, still made me happy. And that was with 2 or 3 bags of mulch in the back on most trips back to the house.

Comment

Yeah I'll be happy too, my Harley truck gets like 9mpg but she's also 650rwhp
                            -M3NTAL MARK! Woo!!

Comment

wow i was under the wrong impression thinking carb gets better but i think im thinking of the base carb model is the lightest model i wish i could find a local efi
                              93 L B6T DD http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=37751
                              RIP_90 LuX http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=32249
                              RIP 88 LX / B8-MEhttp://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=26398

RJ

Comment

Working...
                              X