No announcement yet.

Frustration with never-ending problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^^ Not to hijack the thread, but why isn't this your avatar?

So, thirdman, did you make it home, or is it a smoldering pile somewhere?

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
    1989 L - 247K miles Slick
    1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
    Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Originally posted by batstiva View Post
      ^^ Not to hijack the thread, but why isn't this your avatar?
      Bloom County Rules!!
      Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
      '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
      '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

Hang in there. I understand as I paid too much for Hot Rod, too much for major repairs BUT then I began using the repairs as a means to learn. I'd go to the Pull-A-Part and tear cars apart to see how they worked, come home and fix Hot Rod. Now, several months later and many new parts, I've completed most of the work myself and have a blast driving it. I had to come to grips with the overwhelming fact that I will never get my money back but I can't help but smile knowing I did the work. There are some more repairs coming and I have no idea how to fix them but I'll go tear up some more cars, bring the parts home and fix it again. Just part of loving a Festiva
        '93 Festiva GL / "HOT ROD"
        '02 F-150 Supercrew
        '02 Excursion 4x4
        '98 Jeep Cherokee Classic Limited

Comment

Originally posted by BigWheel View Post
          Hang in there. I understand as I paid too much for Hot Rod, too much for major repairs BUT then I began using the repairs as a means to learn. I'd go to the Pull-A-Part and tear cars apart to see how they worked, come home and fix Hot Rod. Now, several months later and many new parts, I've completed most of the work myself and have a blast driving it. I had to come to grips with the overwhelming fact that I will never get my money back but I can't help but smile knowing I did the work. There are some more repairs coming and I have no idea how to fix them but I'll go tear up some more cars, bring the parts home and fix it again. Just part of loving a Festiva
          +1. With very few exceptions, buying a car is a losing proposition, financially. But the knowledge gained, and the satisfaction of knowing you did the work, are worth a lot. Something I wish I'd remembered before I sent mine to the scrapyard.:salute:

Comment

how's that batstiva?
            Later,
            Ian L.

I need a tUrBo

'92 festiva gl b6 sohc,ported exaust manifold 2" downpipe, cherrybomb, aspire brakes, miata 14" steelies. commuter rod.
            '95 grand caravan kiddie wagon.

Comment

^^ Thanks, I feel much better now.:p

Comment

Doing the work yourself is the best feeling.
                -Greg
                Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
                BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
                Redneck Engineer
                FOTY - '09
                5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Oh joy... brakes are now fading to the point of un-driveability. **** sigh ****
                  Last edited by thirdman; 08-28-2009, 06:47 PM.
                  Thirdman
                  1992 White Festiva L - original owner
                  1993 Green-ish Stinktiva™ L - totaled

Comment

Have your brake booster/master cylinder replaced with all nre lines front to back! That'll take care of it!
                    ---------------------------------------------------
                    The Jester - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter
                    ---------------------------------------------------
                    BUILD'EM CHEAP, RUN'EM HARD, REPAIR'EM DAILY!

Comment

Originally posted by festyxfi View Post
                      I can also feel your pain, and especially your frustration. You don't know how many times I've sent myself to the brink of exploding (literally) all over the walls when it comes to fixing and maintaining vehicles.

Here's something an old mentor said to me years ago, "God punishes the poor with their cars"...

Here's one thing I would mention (very respectfully I might add) I've come to the conclusion that for the most part, people that don't like to work on their own vehicles, or can't for some reason, should probably just make life easy on themselves and buy new vehicles every few years. There still are a few cars one can buy out there that seem to have escaped the "let's design them to die in such and such amount of time/miles..." My ex's 06 Toyota Corolla is a great car with a VVT-i that will probably last 20+ years (and that's even with a female driving it) it also gets 38-44MPG depending on conditions. Sure it was a few bucks upfront, but it's trouble free.

Festivas are just too old by now to be THAT reliable without occasional attention of the wrenching varity. I've had more festys than I can count, and some have been buggers, but I'll tell you, the 89 L that's been my daily driver (abuser...oh the hell I put that car through) has never given me any trouble. I've replaced a timing belt (easy, cheap) I had to replace the muffler (easy, cheap) and a few other easy, cheap things. It just keeps going. I paid $150 bucks for it.

It sounds to me like you got one that hadn't been well cared for in teh first place. That's always a hard thing to correct.

Either way, just try to stay calm. I say that to you, I say that to me...

FX

Great advice FX, great post !

Comment

If it isnt one thing ...its two. Some times I think about selling all the festivas and buying a new toyota corolla or civic. Then I snap out of it. I think some of the problem is because of the quality of parts that are available for festivas. They were super reliable when new but now you have to resort to used parts or any parts you can find for some things and if you dont install them yourself some places just dont know any thing about festivas.
                        sigpic
                        The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
                        https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
                        Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

I have 4 vehicles in my driveway, all in very good mechanical condition and all licensed and insured. Even so, I can BANK on the fact that at least twice a year, all 4 will break down at the same time and I'll have to take a day off to fix things! Brakes wear out, batteries die and cables corrode, tires go flat, water pumps and wheel bearings go out, etc....
                          I always try to remind myself that I can fix a lot of things for what it would cost to pay sales and property tax the first time on a new $20K vehicle. When you add in the price of required full coverage insurance (if you borrow the money) and depreciation, then buying a new vehicle really seems like a losing proposition. That being said, if you can't do the work yourself and have to rely on a mechanic, then the equation changes quickly.
                          If your situation allows, use this as an opportunity to acquire the knowledge and skill to fix your own car. If the work is done right with quality parts, you should never have to do anything twice. You will get braver as you go. If it is not the appropriate time for this, then you may consider buying a new (or newer) car. Don't forget, you have this site for support and help!
                          Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                          04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                          62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                          Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

^ well put.
                            -Greg
                            Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
                            BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
                            Redneck Engineer
                            FOTY - '09
                            5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Working...
                            X