Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Timer

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum but have been trolling the forums for a week or better. I'd like to ask for some help/advice in buying my Festiva. I've been scouring CL for the past couple of months and have a couple I'm considering. Would anyone like to give me their opinion on each?

Here's my intent. I have a friend who does autocross with his WRX and I'd like to tag along. I had a 89 Festiva many years ago and loved to drive it. So immediately the Festiva came to mind. Then I read an article about swapping in the B6T engine and well... I want a manual and eventually the B6T swap.

So here are the ones I'm considering at this point in time...

Automatic so would need to do an auto to manual swap as well but the rust looks pretty harmless.

The guy won't send me additional images and he's kind of a jerk from what I can tell. I hate giving money to jerks. It is a manual.

Cheap and needs a lot of work. I priced a new front fender at around $75. Not sure what it would take to replace the brake line.

Any thoughts will be much appreciated! Thanks!

1993 Ford Festiva L ($650)
    Mazda 1.8L BP - PaceSetter Header (in progress)
    Aspire Swap - 15x6.5 wheels, 205/50/15 tires
    >> Photo Album <<

I'd invest in number 3 myself....5 speed, newer exhuast......only brake problems.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    The Jester - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter
    ---------------------------------------------------
    BUILD'EM CHEAP, RUN'EM HARD, REPAIR'EM DAILY!

Comment

First things first. Welcome to FF.COM You will find a wealth of information about these great little cars on here.

Now, about the cars you are looking at. I am assuming that you want a standard car, so if I were you, I'd pass on the first one. Nice car, but I think you would be better off finding a 4 or 5 speed. IMHO.

As to the second car you have listed. Doesn't sound too bad, but if you are getting a vibe from the seller you do not like, then I would pass on the car. Just my own personal policy, but I don't like arrogant jerks, and I really don't like forking over my hard earned money to arrogant jerks. It sounds harsh, and even dumb at times, but I seriously would pass on something that I want, that is priced right, and that I have the money to pay for, if I don't like the person I have to deal with to get it. Simple as that.

Which brings me to the third one, which would be my choice. Yeah, it needs a little work. Brake lines are not that difficult. Not even sure from the description if he is talking about the metal lines, or the rubber ends that connect to the calipers/rotors. If it were me, and they were all in my price range, and I was intent on a standard car, I would take the third one you have listed.

Again, this is just my opinion, and it may be worth what you are paying for it. Then again, maybe not.

Best of luck in your search, and again, welcome to FF.COM:salute::salute:

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
      1989 L - 247K miles Slick
      1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
      Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

First one: You'll be swaping the motor anyway, throw in the manual then! It has nice options as well.

Second one: Needs some costly repairs, and he's a jerk

Third one: looks like it has a lot of usable parts (worth the money for parts/ parting out to make your money back)

My 2 cents,
        Chris
        Steve GT

Comment

I'd go with the third one. But take a close look for rust around where the rear axle bolts to the car and where the cross-member that supports the engine bolts to the radiator support. Both are common problem areas and could be costly to repair. Welcome to the Site btw!
          1988 L - aka: Underdog
          1990 L - soon to be trailer
          1994 Aspire (Looks like an egg)

Comment

Welcome to the forum ! Good to see a near home boy join up. We have a member in Iowa that is a Super Model. His name is Dan just like the contact in #3. I dont think its the same one though.
            sigpic
            The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
            https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
            Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

Thanks for the opinions! So far looks like the consensus is buy a fixer. :p

I have a couple of offers out there and I'm just waiting to hear back on them. I found a couple more recent listings on CL as well. I'll let you all know when I've made my purchase. And then barrage you all with mechanical and maintenance questions. Fear the :newb:

>> Photo Album <<

Comment

Welcome to the "Addiction"

My pick? #3, but check out the rust carefully. Mine has a rusty rocker panel and it's worse than it looks.

Pass on #2. Sellers who don't send additional info are either not serious or have something to hide. I know it's just pics, but they have an attitude, so...

#1? Like Chills said, you'll be swapping engines anyway, but you'll also need all the manual transmission parts too. It's a good choice if you can find the parts and have no problem doing the work. The sunroof is a bonus, but if you choose this one, check for leaks.

Good luck and let the questions begin.
                Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
                '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
                '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

Welcome to the site!
                  Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
                  The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

Ok guys. I'm thinking about going and getting the automatic. I would be swapping the trans along with a B6 engine anyway. My question is, for those that might know, is it a LOT of extra work to swap from an auto to manual? Pedals and all?

If it isn't that much more work, being that I'd have the engine and transmission out anyway... then I'll give the guy another call. Because the guy was real cool and it looks like a decent car compared to those I'm seeing within a few hours drive.

Thanks again!

>> Photo Album <<

Comment

Hey JCB,
                      I'm in Des Moines. I have 10 Festivas and tons of parts. When you go to swap parts, I have them. I'll pm you my phone number.

Dan "Levitan"
                      ENFORCER - Midwest Festiva Inc., Iowa

#1 '90 Sport to modified Lx - RollazX
                      #2 .....Cheesehead
                      #3 '91 White - Donor Car
                      #4 .....Montana Project
                      SOLD----Levistiva for $1500
                      Bought her back for $450
                      Now that's darn near priceless!!

Comment

Go to the festy ranch and buy whatever you want.
                        -Greg
                        Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
                        BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
                        Redneck Engineer
                        FOTY - '09
                        5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

I've made my purchase. I won't be paying or picking up the car until tomorrow after work, but we shook hands on and closed the deal at $675.

The car is a blue '93 with undetermined mileage as the speedo hasn't worked in the past. There is minimal rust with the exception of the hatch. It has two pretty serious spots on either side of the lower rear window. The underside was in pretty good shape rust wise. The area where the rear control arms bolt to the frame looked good compared to others I've gone and seen. There is a good sized dent on the rear driver's side panel, a cracked windshield (passenger side), and it needs a set of new rubbers up front. The car has AC but it doesn't work (yet, I hope).

I drove it around the block and the engine and drive line felt pretty good with one exception, the shifter must have a broken bracket or something because it kept falling down. The linkage was still working and it shifted in to all of the lower gears just fine but I had to hold the shifter up to prevent if from falling down during shifts.

I'll post some pics once I have it in the drive and under better light.

>> Photo Album <<

Comment

So you went with number three then? Good pick overall. That problem with the shifter is apparently more common than I thought. Not a difficult fix tho.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
                            1989 L - 247K miles Slick
                            1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
                            Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Oh, actually it was none of the above. It was a late consideration but more local then the others and the guy was a good guy. I'll start a new post with detailed pics by this weekend. I'm excited!

>> Photo Album <<

Comment

Working...
                              X