Aspire MPG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aspire MPG

What's everyone getting on their aspires for MPG? Mines currently getting 34 which it seems to sticking to, now that the timing is set and idle control valve is working properly. I don't have the ac belt on yet, although as easy as the unengaged pulley turns should be very little parastic loss. It sees about 70% highway 30% town, around 5-8 hwy 2-3 city. I was thinking with the better gears and aerodynamics it should the same as the festiva. If I drive the festiva I can get 40, with fiancee driving it 37. I find it amusing that I can tell how bad's she's driving just by checking the mpg. I do have 185/75 tires all around, I have no idea what they were thinking. And yes I have new wires, plugs, o2 sensor, and all filters. I'm thinking tomorrow me and the airbox maybe a piece of the exhaust may have a date to free a ponies, although probably won't help mpg any.
    91 rusty Festiva 260k

My 97 5 speed is getting right about what you're getting, 34 - 36 with 70% highway and 30% city. This last tank I ran out, I got 38.9, but that was with 90% highway and 10% city. So I'm thinking the city driving is what hurts it the most.

And my "highway" is doing 70 - 75 mph. I'm sure at 55 mph, it would get a LOT better... but then I would be dead due to being run over by the fools doing 90 mph!! :shock:

And keep in mind that the Aspire's 5 speed has a lower final gear ratio than the Festiva, so the engine is spinning faster at the same mph.
    97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC
    97 Ford Aspire (Wanting 40 + mpg!!)
    95 Mercury Cougar XR-7 (For Sale)
    94 Ford T'Bird LX 4.6L
    73 Mercury Cougar Convertible w/351C 4V
    69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
    76 Glastron Carlson 23' Jet Boat w/460 CJ Engine

Comment

Aspires also weigh a bit more than Festivas. About 200 pounds I believe.

Comment

[quote=And keep in mind that the Aspire's 5 speed has a lower final gear ratio than the Festiva, so the engine is spinning faster at the same mph. [/quote]

not quite. the lower final drive is to compensate for the Aspire's taller tires. linear distance covered per engine revolution is nearly the same.
        Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
        Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

That's pretty good mileage. Wish I could even approach that with my car...
          White '89L auto - Sold!
          Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

I got a high of 35mpg with my '95 auto aspire. Now that it's getting cooler i'm down to 31 or so.

-=Whittey=-

Comment

Working...
            X