Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aspire or Festiva for greenhorn mechanic

Hello everyone!
    I am new to this site, it looks like there is a lot of helpful information here. My question: I am looking to purchase my first car. I am hoping to get two things out of this purchase - a cheap fuel efficient car that I can repair without going to shops and secondly I hope to gain lots of mechanical know-how in the process. In my area, Seattle WA, I have found a few festivas and an aspire that peaked my interest. I am interested in the pros and cons of each. The adds are very minimal and number two hasn't responded when I called him, but here are the three I am currently considering.

1)

2)

3)

this one is an automatic

I don't need this car until next spring, so I intend to either buy one and spend the winter fixing it up and broadening my mechanical knowledge, or spending that time searching for a good one that won't require much fixing right off the bat. Any general advice about these two models would be appreciated.

Okay, let's see. Numbers 1 and 3 are fuel injected, number 2, when he says straight, not sure if he talking body, or tranny, but if it's tranny, it will be carbed. Not sure which you would prefer. If you are at all thinking of any kind of engine upgrade, buying an FI one would be the way to go.
    Swapping the clutch is not that big a deal, so number 1 sounds promising, and you say that you don't need it as a daily driver right now, the work it needs would be a good learning experience. From the brief description, it doesn't sound like number 3 needs anything to put it on the road. So, I guess, based on price, what needs to be done to them, and your timeline as far as what you need, my advice would number 1 first, number 3 second, and number 2 third. Just my .02 tho, let's see what others on here think.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
    1989 L - 247K miles Slick
    1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
    Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

I'd go with #3.

#2 had this in the description "runs good, needs clutch, and exhaust work, "cat was stolen"." So I'd pass on that one.

#1 I'd think about cuz it would be a learning experience plus it would have the suspension/brake swap parts for a Festy later on.

Any that you may go with no matter how nice will eventually need work done so if you keep it you'll get your chance to get your hands dirty, knuckles bloody and your mind spinning.

( The proceeding message is strickly the opinion of the author. It in no way reflects the opinions of FF.com or it subsidiaries. Your mileage may vary. Please consult your dealer for more details. May cause drousiness.)

Comment

Working...
      X