• Show
Clear All

• Parts longevity ??s

Roughly, how long can we expect the following parts to last on Festys:
    timing belt
    water pump
    oil pump
    fuel pump
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Id change the timing belt every 60 to 80,000. The originals would go longer though. Id change the water pump when I changed the timing belt. Ive never replaced a oil or fuel pump.
    sigpic
    The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
    https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
    Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

I agree with Freshtiva on the timing belt / water pump replacement mileage, although a replacement Gates belt lasted about 130,000 miles on my car (big chunks were missing from it when I replaced it....DO NOT let it go that long!).
      Last year I replaced the original fuel pump ('88-carbed) at about 201,000.
      If it has boobs or wheels, sooner or later you're going to have trouble with it.
      Mark S.

Comment

Imho if you replace your timing belt before it breaks or every 60 or 80 or even every 120 thousand miles you are taking from the festiva one of it's biggest advantages. Non-interference engine. The only plus to changing a timing belt is not getting stranded. My opinion is drive it until it breaks. Replace it, reset the timing, and go.
        youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

Originally posted by neanderpaul View Post
          Imho if you replace your timing belt before it breaks or every 60 or 80 or even every 120 thousand miles you are taking from the festiva one of it's biggest advantages. Non-interference engine. The only plus to changing a timing belt is not getting stranded. My opinion is drive it until it breaks. Replace it, reset the timing, and go.
          Good to know these are non-interference motors, like the older Subarus. Some of the older Subarus, like the Loyale, had two belts. If the passenger-side one broke, you could still drive the car! The driver side belt also drove the disty, so you could limp it home on two cylinders!
          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

How about coils and distys?

Disaster preparedness

Comment

90k for a timing belt. water pump the same time as a timing belt. Oil pump when you get low oil pressure levels, or you are near a bottom end rebuild for low compression or spun bearings etc. Coil/disty....when they break. I'd do the cap/rotor/plugs/wires/coil at the same time though so it is easier to keep track of maintence.

Fuel pump, when you have low pressure or a no start becasuse of no fuel at the fuel rail. If you need to replace the sending unit for a faulty gauge...replace the pump. Do it right the first time. Fuel filter 30-40k and injector cleaner for S&G's
              Last edited by festivaWES; 07-20-2009, 06:31 PM.
              ---------------------------------------------------
              The Jester - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter
              ---------------------------------------------------
              BUILD'EM CHEAP, RUN'EM HARD, REPAIR'EM DAILY!

Comment

i second freshtiva.

Comment

The parts on our Festivas were built to last.

Take good care of your car, and you can easily reach 200,000 without a major part failure. Very rarely do these cars die without plenty of warning.

-Tim
                  White '89L auto - Sold!
                  Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                    The parts on our Festivas were built to last.

Take good care of your car, and you can easily reach 200,000 without a major part failure. Very rarely do these cars die without plenty of warning.
                    I just picked one up today with 324,000 miles on the clock! Runs great, original motor. Only thing that I know was replaced was the 5-speed, when reverse gear went out.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Working...
                    X