No announcement yet.

MPG run, part deux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, i wonder if having a slightly more powerful motor would get you more mpg's in windy or hilly conditions as you're not having to floor it to keep to speed.

Comment

Result: for 75 miles, I used 1.2 gallons of gas. This comes to 62.5 MPG. I was very careful to fill the tank completely both times; if anything, I might have put in a couple thimblefuls more the second time.

The moral of this story: low RPMs and less wind resistance really matter. I doubt that the seat removal was much of a factor, if any.

Tom in Mo. -- Great story ! I live in pretty much rural countryside. I drive to work 4 days a week, 10 miles one way. I work a night shift, and I drive to work on a 2 laner, the other guys always passing me up..zoom. I go about 50, and I think we get 45 mpg. with our 5-speed 1990 L Plus. I really believe in the lower RPM thing.
      The slower pace and careful driving thru town, I hit the stop lights all green and keep on driving steady. Good results for fuel use. I just do not like high balling it down the road, and there are critters out there at times. I have hit dog, cats, racoons, rabbits, skunk, snakes ! Dodged deer more than once. But ....I just do not want to hit the bigger animals because of the hard damage to Festiva, so I take it easy. All weeks we drive these a lot, and get the high mileage, but have to smile at the light, when stopped next to the huge Suburban or 4 wheel pickups we have so many of here. I have Dodge Ram too, but she sits unless I am carrying a parts car Festiva on a trailer........ ha !

When we were in Europe a few years ago, there was mostly little cars...driving fast...even pulling tiny camper trailers. I did not see any big American trucks, etc. They do think we Americans are very wasteful. I see that point now with our fuel appetite. One of the biggest shocks to me returning home via Denver, was the freeways loaded with big American models after a 2 week stay in Germany, France area. Shock !
      Got to admit, I liked the Autobahn and the cars there...just a note about mileage. I think it is important, and I hope our cars can become better. That is why we really love our little 2 Festivas to drive.

:happy7:

mjd

Comment

As for keeping less air flowing through the engine bay, wouldn't this have a negative effect on your engine's breathing and cooling ability as it's designed for? Wouldn't it be better to let the air pass through and perhaps be forced up over the windshield for a more aerodynamic exit?

Comment

Originally posted by Arnie View Post
          Yeah, i wonder if having a slightly more powerful motor would get you more mpg's in windy or hilly conditions as you're not having to floor it to keep to speed.
          That's my thought too. I'll keep you posted when I do this, probably in the next couple of weeks.
          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
          09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Wax the windshield too.
            -Greg
            Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
            BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
            Redneck Engineer
            FOTY - '09
            5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Originally posted by thered56 View Post
              As for keeping less air flowing through the engine bay, wouldn't this have a negative effect on your engine's breathing and cooling ability as it's designed for? Wouldn't it be better to let the air pass through and perhaps be forced up over the windshield for a more aerodynamic exit?
              That was kind of my thinking. Not so much on the aerodynamics, but on the engine breathing. If you think about it, a lot of folks block off part/most of their grills in the winter to improve their inside heat, and reduce the cold air flow into the engine, so why wouldn't it cause the same thing in warm weather. When you really don't want you engine running any hotter than it has to. Anyway, nice results Tom. :thumbleft:

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
              1989 L - 247K miles Slick
              1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
              Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Originally posted by eurotiva View Post
                Wax the windshield too.
                Shirley you are joking! Actually the whole car will be waxed; I just use the kind of car-wash solution that has the little wax beads in it.
                90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Thats soap......I mean put a real coat of wax on it. I got 2 mpgs more on my trip home with some waxing.
                  -Greg
                  BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
                  Redneck Engineer
                  FOTY - '09

Comment

Originally posted by eurotiva View Post
                    Thats soap......I mean put a real coat of wax on it. I got 2 mpgs more on my trip home with some waxing.
                    Interesting, I'll try it.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Never would have thought a good coat of wax would have made a noticeable difference. Interesting.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
                      1989 L - 247K miles Slick
                      1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
                      Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

I also waxed my whole car between runs at the dragstrip and picked up 1.6 mph.
                        -Greg
                        Redneck Engineer
                        FOTY - '09

Comment

Working...
                        X