No announcement yet.

Finally Back on the Road

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah, i've been driving the Festiva in the morning when its cool out and take the scoob in the evening when its hot. but i did lots of work on the the scoob this weekend. New Whiteline front strut tops and revalved the front coilovers. Then aligned it. Will get around to revalving the rears next weekend.

I just need smaller tires for the Festiva. The 195/60-14 on there are just too wide and tall. I've looked at some pics of people's 175/65-14s (still tallish but much narrower; so no rubbing issues) and 185/60-14s (shorter but worried they'd be too wide still and rub).
    Last edited by Arnie; 08-02-2009, 08:58 PM.

Comment

Rubbing Compound is amazing stuff

Recently I purchased a rear spoiler and having finally painted and installed it, it became clear that I had to do something with the state of my current paint. The spoiler's paint code is accurate, on a new car. So it stuck out like a sore thumb against the faded, weathered yellow the car currently has.

I decided to give rubbing compound a try this weekend. I've waxed the car before and the faded yellow came back somewhat glossy but the wax usually wore relatively quick and I was back to a matted weathered yellow within a short time. Well, this weekend I thought I'd go a step further and bought some 3M rubbing compound and applied a bit to the rear hatch. I was amazed at the gloss that came through just from the rubbing compound. I hadn't even waxed it. So I did the whole car. I'm absolutely stunned. The car, with the exception of the numerous dents, looks brand new. The paint is glossy and shiny and has a semblance of depth. The original deep yellow color came back as well. And the spoiler matches now!

Unfortunately I did not take any pics of a rubbed and non rubbed panel. but you can see from the pics on the first page of this thread that the paint was pretty matte and faded. I'll have to experiment with lighting to see if I can get a picture that really shows off the shiny shiny.

So here we are:

Last edited by Arnie; 10-18-2009, 07:31 PM.

Comment

New Steering Wheel too!

Also purchased a new steering wheel on Ebay. I think it was $38 plus shipping, included the hub. I preferred the thickness and feel of the leather on my old Mazda Formuling wheel but the wheel was too far away when I had the seat bottom adjusted for proper leg position. This wheel has a a bit of dish that really puts the wheel closer without me having to have the seatback full upright. It is a bit smaller diameter too. Not too keen on that but its fine for now. For 38 bucks, can't complain. Not fond of the horn bezel either/ I'll get around to making something for it one of these days.

Comment

Wow !!! really nice looking festiva

BPT, G5M-R, BP26 Exintake swap + Fidanza cam gear, NSRT4 FMIC + 2.5" piping, HKS SSQV BOV, Exedy clutch, 3" downpipe + 2" all the way back, Aspire brake swap, KYB GR-2 & FMS coil spring , FMS EURO body kit + Carbon fiber hood, Falcon RTX 15X6½ + Toyo proxes T1R 195/45R15

Comment

car looks great....nice job
            "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
            89L Silver EFI auto
            91GL Green Auto DD
            There ain't no rest for the wicked
            until we close our eyes for good.
            I will sleep when I die!
            I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Very Nice festiva you have there! :thumbright:
              -93' L BP swap/e-series, coilovers, RIO front swap, redrilled festy drums, Miata 14" 7 spokes.
              -88' Mazda 323 SE, work in progress..
              -85' Nissan Sentra 5 spd.

Comment

Very nice, can you do something about that plate on the front.........!
                ........... With a lever long enough and a place to stand, you could move the world..........

..................Build thread.................http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=29547

Comment

Originally posted by jmye1524 View Post
                  Very nice, can you do something about that plate on the front.........!
                  I wasn't going to say anything.

Seriously, nice looking ride!! :thumbright:

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
                  1989 L - 247K miles Slick
                  1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
                  Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Wha'? You guys don't like the bashed, dangling by one screw, front plate? Its the automotive equivalent of having a tilted baseball cap, yo!

Thanks for the compliments guys. The car is looking better and better. Now to paint my Honda wheels white for the wannabe rally look.

Last edited by Arnie; 10-18-2009, 08:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnie View Post
                      Wha'? You guys don't like the bashed, dangling by one screw, front plate? Its the equivalent of having a tilted baseball cap yo!
                      It's like the Japanese artistic concept of non-perfection, or "imperfect perfection"....something has to be a little bit off, or the perfection is too sterile.
                      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Right on!

Comment

I love how that simple rear spoiler elevates the Festiva from drab econobox to luke-warm (hot)hatch! It really balances out the rear end, aesthetically. Though my wife asked if we'll get to work faster now, i.e. on time with all that extra downforce being generated by the Super Spoiler. :lol:

Finally drove the car about 40 miles since I installed the wheel this afternoon. I definitely need the adjustable steering column. I'm getting pickier and pickier about my driving position and its not quite right yet. Needs to be lower. Reach is perfect, however. Just needs to be lower. Yup, it never, ever ends. Granted, its much cheaper modifying the Festiva compared to the WRX. So that's a relief.
                          Last edited by Arnie; 10-18-2009, 10:15 PM.

Comment

hopefuly you only need about 3/4" lower position, 'cause that's all you'll get with a tilt column (unfortunately). as fore the 185/60s, you shouldn't have ANY problem with rubbing as you're running Tiens. but then you're using a stock Honda rim and they have a +42mm offset... it'll be tight.
                            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Festyboy - even 3/4" would be a help I think. Better than nothing. But thanks for that info, I've never looked into how much adjustment there is with the adjustable column.

I've run 185/60-13s before on various mazda wheels some rubbed some didn't. I think I'll be using 175/65-14's on the Daisies and I have 175/50-13's sitting around that I'll put on the Honda wheels. I have to use spacers regardless because the TEIN's were designed for 15" wheels and the front lower clevis does not clear any wheels smaller than 15". I don't mind the grip loss with the 175's, I actually like the balance of the car with that size tire. The 195's on there right now are just too much tire for my tastes. The 195s also rub on the inside rears without a spacer with the daisy wheels (45ET).
                              Last edited by Arnie; 10-18-2009, 10:28 PM.

Comment

Just wanted to post up what fetus mobile I'm driving nowadays. 1992 Peugeot 106 XSi. 94 HP, 850 kg weight. Wanted this car since, well, 1992!

Comment

Working...
                                X