cash for clunkers =(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cash for clunkers =(

well all over by me there advertising the new cash for clunkers, theres even a thing on the news for it. im in fear that this is going to hurt alot of the unique cars that we all love so much that in the eyes to others may just be a 4500 tax credit to them. so sad...

True, but if I read the stipulations correct, there's no way a festiva is gonna qualify for it, but I do fear for other models.... what models is everyone potentially worried about?

Comment

Mustangs!!
      1989 Red L- The Baron
      www.letstalkbeatles.com
      Link to Baron Pics:
      http://s478.photobucket.com/albums/r...nmervap/Baron/
      1990 White GL- Chuck (for now)

Comment

i think my dad might fall for the Chrysler deal, they match the gov price, and trade our '95 suburban for another caliber or charger. hes gonna miss that thing
        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2065064/1
        Paulbarrera12.com
        Festiva Visualizer Project

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky View Post
          Mustangs!!
          Due to the stipulation of the rules (1981 & newer, if I remember), the only Mustangs that would be effected are the FOX platform and newer. Good specimens of FOX body 'stangs are already hard to find. Most are parted out, completely thrashed or have been turned in to race cars. Most good ones are in the hands of enthusiasts that would not trade them in on such a program and would fetch as much or more as the Government is offering.

My biggest fear is for the FOX body T-Birds, Lincoln Mark VII's and Fairmont/Zepher cars.
          I would give my left you-know-what for a clean, plain-Jane '81 Fairmont 2dr sedan (with a trunk). With a 347 Stroker, that would make the Ultimate street "sleeper". Also, salvage parts for any of the above mentioned cars could get hard to find and salvage prices will go up.
          Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
          04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
          62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
          Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Goodbye GM G-Body cars too (Regals, Cutlasses, Monte Carlos).

I'd love to get my hands on a clean late 70's Regal again. I had one in the 80's and had put a Buick 350 engine in it (I wanted it all Buick). It was the perfect sleeper. Looked like a pimp-mobile, but could take any 80's muscle car (except for stripped 5.0 LX 'stangs and turbo buicks).
            Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
            '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
            '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

By the way, this is my 1,000th post.

YaaaaY!!
              Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
              '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
              '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

yea i just watched the news specials in order to qualify the car must get a total combined 18 mpg or less, few for the festiva.

Comment

Originally posted by blkfordsedan View Post
                  Due to the stipulation of the rules (1981 & newer, if I remember), the only Mustangs that would be effected are the FOX platform and newer. Good specimens of FOX body 'stangs are already hard to find. Most are parted out, completely thrashed or have been turned in to race cars. Most good ones are in the hands of enthusiasts that would not trade them in on such a program and would fetch as much or more as the Government is offering.

My biggest fear is for the FOX body T-Birds, Lincoln Mark VII's and Fairmont/Zepher cars.
                  I would give my left you-know-what for a clean, plain-Jane '81 Fairmont 2dr sedan (with a trunk). With a 347 Stroker, that would make the Ultimate street "sleeper". Also, salvage parts for any of the above mentioned cars could get hard to find and salvage prices will go up.
                  Definitely agree on the T-birds, and Fairmonts. My brother had an old 4 door fairmont, that thing was indestructible. Interesting that the cut-off is 1981. So they're going to take a lot of decent older cars off the road, and leave all the pre-cats out there running around? Definitely going to suck to have an early-mid-late 80s car and need parts for it.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
                  1989 L - 247K miles Slick
                  1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
                  Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

bye bye old thunderbirds.........
                    it'll do the 1/8 in 13.7, spin tires, and make all my drunk buddies giggle.

"I like a Festiva because there's less car to get in the way of the driving experience"

Comment

Originally posted by blkfordsedan View Post
                      I would give my left you-know-what for a clean, plain-Jane '81 Fairmont 2dr sedan (with a trunk). With a 347 Stroker, that would make the Ultimate street "sleeper".
                      Same here, except maybe with the 2.3 out of my tbird. Youre talking about the plain square body right? Those were the lightest fairmonts, some in the 2500-lb range I believe. Lightest fox car for that matter.

I have an 81 'futura' coupe roller with a pretty much perfect body, but the 2.3 would just be cooler in the box mont.
                      91GL BP/F3A with boost
                      13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

I THINK the cutoff was 1981, but I'm not 100% sure. I do know it only goes back to sometime in the '80. I don't know why, but I am speculating there was a lot of negative support and lobbying from SEMA and other car enthusiast organizations. The bottom line is it really has little to do with reducing GHG emissions. Congress amended it so that you can even buy a big new SUV or Pickup and still get something out of your trade-in. It's major purpose is to stimulate new vehicle sales and help save GM & Chrysler.
                        Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                        04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon

Comment

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
                          Same here, except maybe with the 2.3 out of my tbird. Youre talking about the plain square body right? Those were the lightest fairmonts, some in the 2500-lb range I believe. Lightest fox car for that matter.

I have an 81 'futura' coupe roller with a pretty much perfect body, but the 2.3 would just be cooler in the box mont.
                          Yes! The sudo-fastback Futuras were cool (and better looking IMO), but I want the "square" plain old 2Dr sedan. I want the bottom-of-the-line version with NO options and a carb'd 2.3L. If I could find one in TAN it would be perfect! All you'd need is a Mustang GT donor and swap the rear-end and other components. With a good suspension and a mild roller cam 347/C4 combo you could have an 12 sec sleeper. Add a Vortech and who knows? I'm thinking steel wheels with "dog dish" hubcaps & full factory interior. A turbo 2.3L would also be cool, but the fuel injection would require more work.
                          Brian

Comment

A CLUNKER (?) bites the dust. That Volvo looks better than anything I own.

The "GOV'MENT" created the destruction process. Oil replaced by some sort of chemical/water mix. The Volvo tries it's best to hang on to life.

We arrogant Americans destroying only to replace with new. Because we can damnit!

Comment

Unless its a gross luxobarge that shouldnt have been made in first place, no car with a solid rust free, no-accident body should be crushed. Thats just wasteful and not very environmentally friendly. Either chop it up and sell the parts off or repower it with something more efficient/affordable for those who cant afford the high dollar new stuff.

I am really sorry to see the older rear drive Volvos go bye-bye. The 140/240 series Volvo were very nice design even if they looked bit like refrigerators. I personally liked the wagons, you could get amazing amount stuff in them. I got full size washer and dryer both at same time in one once. Not easy but doable. And repowered a 265 wagon that had a clapped out diesel with a Dodge slant six. Now thats what the old Dodge Dart and Plymouth Valiant should have morphed into rather than the bloated rustbucket Aspen/Volarie.

Comment

Working...
                              X