Should I buy this Dakota

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I buy this Dakota

Friend has a 98 Dakota,4x4,ex-cab.All options.All forward gears are out ,decent body(for Ohio),leak of some kind on intake manifold.Starts up ,sounds great.Says 4x4 is good.Interior nice.I would put a tranny in it and see what is the deal with the leak he is talking about,too.It looks real good.Very minimal rust.I want to use it with a plow this winter.It has the 318 in it.Wants $1000.00.Tranny cost between 4-600 used,or rebuilt for about 900.Let me know what you guys think.

Great truck, good motor, crap trans. Thats pricey for a broken truck that is almost 12 years old. Look around on craigslist before you buy it. I just don't want you to regret it. I have had 2 of those. Oh yeah terrible gas mileage too. Mine got about 12mpg. My 2cents
    -Greg
    Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
    BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
    Redneck Engineer
    FOTY - '09
    5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

if it wasn't in good shape and I didn't know owner I probably wouldn't consider it.I have looked up the same truck on ebay and craiglist.Over $3000.00 in comparable shape,but,good running.

Comment

I don't know. If the rest of the truck is in good condition, and for say 1600-1800 plus labor to change the tranny, I don't see that as a bad deal. The 318 is pretty much bullet proof. Have seen them used and abused, and come back for more. If you've got the means to do the work, I don't see it as a bad deal at all.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
        1989 L - 247K miles Slick
        1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
        Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Plowing is hard on a truck. I wouldn't plow with a truck that is known for going through trannies, unless you like replacing trannies. Also light duty trucks don't typically have frames built for the abuse of a plow. 1/2 ton is typically minimum but 3/4 ton is recommended.
          The Festiva Store
          Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

Just personal and family use.

Comment

Wow, a Dakota with a bad transmission. Shocker.
              1992 Subaru Legacy
              1988 Chevy Caprice Classic

Comment

well it is pricey but they are good trucks if a 4x4 blazer can do it this can just you have to have weight in the back of it. if you use it rust will increase like no other. if you could get a good tranny with it then i would do 1000 but with out 500 to 700 for it is what i would do. all so i do have the tools and the mechanical ability to change it myself but i didnt i wouldnt buy it because its alot of money to have a shop do it. thats what i think

Comment

its a dodge , nuff said!
                  05 focus zx3 5spd 180k 2.5 inch mbrp exhaust , steeda sri and ford racing dynamic suspension

Comment

Marshalls Auto Parts, Inc. (Circleville, OH) 1-800-333-2104

They Have one for 449 with a warranty...
                    ---------------------------------------------------
                    The Jester - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter
                    ---------------------------------------------------
                    BUILD'EM CHEAP, RUN'EM HARD, REPAIR'EM DAILY!

Comment

^ wes is the man
                      -Greg
                      Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
                      BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
                      Redneck Engineer
                      FOTY - '09
                      5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

I would check more into that intake manifold leak. If it's the lower intake manifold gasket, the coolant will leak into the engine oil. If it's a bad leak, you can get a lot of water in there in a hurry and it can ruin the engine. Not a cheap fix if you take it in, and time consuming if you do it yourself(or at least it was on the vehicle on worked on. Not a Dodge though).

Sounds like a lot of money to me. I personally would pass.

Comment

Working...
                        X