First Festiva stories ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Festiva stories ?

Had a brainstorm ! (Or, is it a brainfrrt?) I thought it would be interesting to tell of our first Festiva, and how we came about getting it, and maybe why we lurked for a site, and how we got to FF.com.

My Dad came to me in 1990 with a comment "I'm thinking of getting a small car." He wanted my opinion, and was trying out a white 1990 Festiva L Plus. Wanted me to take a drive in it. I thought it was OK, fun car, but not real enthused of it as I had other things keeping my mind busy, and work. He ended up buying it because it was hailed on at the dealer lot. They knocked off price from $8,000 to $5,000. But it was brand new. Now, the dents are part of the L Plus, still a great driver.
    We had farmed, and were now renting out the land. I started working for the state at a juvenile facility. Our kids were getting thru high school, and in fact I bought a 4-door Geo Metro I loved driving and got for our daughter...It was a fun car too, but we sold it after graduation, and kept Dad's Festiva. By the late 90's he preferred a bigger Chrysler, and let us drive the Festy, so the attraction began in ernest! Then, after 2005, I started looking for them and had offers of actually buying them for $500 or so, and let sooooo many of them pass me by.....but my interest slowly crept up on me, when I noticed a lot of them not being kept up and neglected...and like Frestiva says....."What's there not to like about them?" I kept defending them in guys comments to me...unsafe...too slow...junkers to haul off...a throw away car. And, "Hey Mike! The speed limit is 65 !" Suddenly, I took offense :blob2: and I fell in love HA ...with saving them.
    Now ? I see the simplicity and practicality. I think they were designed well and cheap and for savings. I like that.
    I sold a 1971 VW Super Beetle to foster my love for Festiva. I think they are so much of a better car, roomy, etc. etc.
    So ........now here I am, found 2 parts cars...then a third one, a '88 LX with mint interior, and decided to create it to drive from the other 2. The white '88 had hit a deer in front, and now got her together and going. What a thrill now !
    So we have a '90 L Plus and a '88 LX, both white, and driving. But you know what.....still looking for the little beasts all the time ! :love10:
    I get all excited when I see a clean original ! YUM !

Thats my story....anyone else join in ?

:wav:

Bought my first Festiva in '91 or '92. A white '89 LX EFI 5-speed with A/C in perf condition. A wasn't plugged into these cars back then, and with the Internet being nonexistent, I didn't know about (or even think about) cool upgrades. Sold it a couple of years later to buy a CRX Si, for the fun factor.

Started thinking about Festys awhile back, finally found out about this board (I forget how, maybe Google) and now look at my sig! With another hopefully on the way...
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Okay, I'll fess up. When the Festivas first came out, I openly mocked them. Thought they were ugly, chopped off little crap-boxes. Switched jobs in 98, and went from driving a company vehicle to having to commute in my own car. Didn't even own a car at that point, because I had been driving a company truck for 8 years. Started looking around, talked to some people I knew who had Festivas, and decided I was getting one for a commuter car. Test drove Batstiva, and 2 or 3 others, and bought Batstiva. Then 10 years old, 102k on the clock, I was the second owner. Ran the snot out of her. Seriously 50k+ miles the first year. Everything was cool until I hit a deer with her Christmas day of either 2000, or 01. Fixing her was not the first thing that crossed my mind. (Actually the first thing that crossed my mind was hopping in the truck, heading down the road, and making sure that damn deer was dead) Got on the old dial-up, found whatever version of ff.com existed in those days. Mainly some parts lists, and pictures, and a guestbook you could sign. Not much more than that from what I can remember. Anyway, fixed her back up, put her back on the road. The rest, as they say, is history. Finally bought festiva #2 a few weeks ago. Feels so damn good to be driving one after 2 years+ without. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Anyone else?

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
      1989 L - 247K miles Slick
      1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
      Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Working...
      X