Tips on buying a Festiva?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips on buying a Festiva?

Looking to get a Festiva and looked around but did not see any buyer tips. Anything I need to look at closely?

Thanks

I would go FI over carbed (even tho I didn't) 5 speed over auto if you're looking for fuel economy. Check everywhere for rust, especially underneath. Look at the drive shaft and steering boots. Common for those to be torn. Check the spare tire well in the cargo area for rust. Common for the gaskets around the tail lights to dry rot, leak, and that water ends up in the spare tire well. Obvious stuff, like how it starts, how it runs, how it shifts. I'm sure there's stuff I'm not remembering. Just bought my second one, so trying to remember everything I made a point to check.

And above all, make sure it has a good radio. And don't buy a black one. I've got dibs on those.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
    1989 L - 247K miles Slick
    1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
    Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Drive it around til it gets go and hot. Some problems dont show up until its warmed up

David

Comment

Check for rusty brake lines. Especially in the front wheel openings where the hard line comes thru the bulkhead from the engine bay. The bend in the hard line collects everything thrown up by the wheels.

Rusted front cross member where the tranny saddle (support) attaches with two bolts. Rusted structure near and around the rear control arm attach points.

Been there, done that, got the T shirt on all three on my first Festiva. I didn't know of this support group at the time. All has since been repaired or replaced with much effort and time.

Comment

I have one tip for buying a used car.....make sure no one thought better than the factory....a poroly maintained car that no one screwed with is alot better to fix than one that someone screwed around with.
          Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
          The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

Originally posted by jglutz View Post
            I have one tip for buying a used car.....make sure no one thought better than the factory....a poroly maintained car that no one screwed with is alot better to fix than one that someone screwed around with.
            That is SO true. The '90 I bought a little while back has been in my garage for the past week. I have found more cobbled and worn out parts that it'll be a while getting them sorted out. Body's decent but there should be a law about who can own a wrench.

Comment

All the above, and I'll second the beware of rusty brake lines. Those are a bear to fix.
              Because....45 MPG.

Comment

Working...
              X