Uh oh...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uh oh...

I bought an RX7. It's a 1984 model, built in December 1983 which is exactly one year before I was born. It's a GSL-SE, which means that it has better suspension, bigger brakes (4 wheel vented disk), limited slip rear end, and best of all, the 13B fuel injected engine that they used in the second generation RX7s up until 1992 when the third generation came out. It's a really fun car to drive, I can't wait to start driving it. I'll try and get some pictures for you guys/gals.
    * Retired Festiva-er*
    1990 Festiva - The Once Fastest Red 1990 Festiva LX on this site! - now in more dedicated hands!
    B6T'ing since May 2002...

Disclaimer: I'm a dick, deal with it.

I like RX-7s. They're cool! Have fun. Can't wait to see the pix. How much does something like that set you back(if you don't mind me asking)?

Comment

is that one or two quarts of oil per mile?

they leak like sieve

Comment

An RX-7 donated parts for my cruise control...

Plus I got a choke knob that I added to my Festiva for shits and giggles...

But nice cars though - IIRC you can't kill the engine by over-revving it???

Regards,

Tim
        White '89L auto - Sold!
        Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

Originally posted by mechanicaldj
          is that one or two quarts of oil per mile?

they leak like sieve
          They don't leak, they use the oil to oil the apex seals(the rotary's version of piston rings) since the apex seals are in the combustion chamber.

Tim, the cool things about rotary engines are that the faster they rev the better the apex seals seal the combustion chamber.

I had a '79, burnt gold, it had the '82 rims. I loved that car. I bought it for a grand. I had to sell it because it overheated and blew the water seals and the oil looked like a piston engine's head gasket leak milk shake color. Engine rebuild kits are about 1600. The guy I bought it from also had a '84 GSL-SE for 2000 but it had fuel pump problems the day I went to test drive it, so I bought the 79. Where did you pick this car up? They're one of the rarer of the RX7 line.

And remember if it starts to overheat, PULL OVER!

Take care of it and you have a super car. Makes me want another one. This time I'm thinking maybe a second gen.

Take it back to the back porch, join the 3 string revolution.

Comment

RX7

Check out this months Super Street, there is a nice 80's Rx7 that is built up to perfection in there, makes me want one.

All's I know is Im getting a mazda when I purchase my first expensive money bag of a car. (JOB FIRST :-) )

Rx7, Rx8, Mazda3, or Miata(with hardtop) Which one should I get?
            Logan

Comment

I'd either get the 1st or 2nd gen RX7 or the Miata because of the aftermarket support. Go to www.racingbeat.com

I wouldn't go 3rd gen RX7 because they were too advanced for the dealerships to support them. You can get a 2nd gen and rebuild it with aftermarket parts and make them scream. 1st gen has the 12A and are harder to find aftermarket parts for. 2nd gen has the 13B same as the 3rd gen. Or you could try to find the GSL-SE which has 1st gen body with 2nd gen motor.

Miatas are still expensive because of their cult following. I recently "test drove" a car that was wrecked and rebuilt. I loved it.

Take it back to the back porch, join the 3 string revolution.

Comment

I thought the 3rd gen had a 20B three-rotor?
                Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
                Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

nope a tempermental 13b with a trick sequential twin turbo. problem was they overheated and the complicated vacuum op sequential blew hoses, and shortly after the engine goes kaaablewwwieee. the 20b 3 rotor wasn't to my knowlege offered in any car in the us, and only the cosimo in japan iirc.
                  Jesus is on my dashboard, But the Devil is under my hood
                  1988 ford festiva...in limbo, apartments suck
                  1995 Ford Aspire...in limbo, wow i need a garage
                  2002 vw jetta wagon 2.0L, neuspeed p-flow 1994 Mercury cougar xr-7 v8, lowered, 18's

Comment

I was very close to buying a black 88 TII, but the guy backed out at the last minute and I bought the festiva instead.

Great cars if you take care of them.
                    OX SMASH!!

Comment

Congratulations on the SE man. Yeah, that is the model to get for that chassis. The stock engine is a bit dated for todays technology but it's a great starting point.

Seems there's a lot of misinformation floating around here about Mazda RX's. Growing up my dad had an 72 RX-2 coupe and my mom had a 73 RX-3 wagon. A FC was my first car when I was 18 since my dad had upgraded to a FD. He still has it (original owner) and I've had more RX's than I can count. I still have my 89 TII and a 75' REPU (rotary engine pick up). Seems the older I get the more I like the old stuff or odd projects. That's what atracted me to doing a Festiva build up.

BTW Fred, I've really enjoyed reading your info on the swap here. If you need any info on that RX7 or even parts feel free to get hold of me. I work at an independent Mazda shop and have a suprisingly good connections to OEM parts and especially USDM and JDM aftermarket parts.
                      I'd buy that for a dollar!

Comment

hey if you have the hookup see what you can do to get me a renesis. i'm not having any luck tracking one down at a decent price.
                        2002 vw jetta wagon 2.0L, neuspeed p-flow 1994 Mercury cougar xr-7 v8, lowered, 18's

Comment

A guy I work with recently bought a 94' RX-7. He also bought a triple rotor and I believe a Supra transmission. From what he said, the triples were mainly found in Japan, but there were also a few in Canada. It was never offered in the US.

He is currently fabricating the mounting hardware required for the engine/tranny swap. The engine currently puts out over 400hp. With a larger turbo and some other mods(I'm not sure what) they are capable of over 700hp(at wheels).

Comment

I seem to remember 20b's reaching as high as 1000hp

My love of the rotory stems from the power to weight and size. It's a small, light engine that puts out a ton of power and likes to rev.

I was thinking that a 1-rotor would be pretty fun on a gokart. ~60hp and under 100 lbs.
                            OX SMASH!!

Comment

it would be pretty hard to drive unless it was a shifter cart, would be tough to stay in the power range....besides racing cart motors are already putting out more than 60 hp and weigh less. but it would be pretty freaking cool anyway in a monster class or something with a tiny turbo putting out like 120 hp.

Comment

Working...
                              X