Power Steering, a possibilty?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Steering, a possibilty?

Hi, I just recently bought a 1993 Ford Festiva GL for my girlfriend, and she complains of how hard the wheel is to turn. I noticed when looking at the rack and pinion that there is no power steering pump, so no chance of pouring in fluid. I was wondering if there any pump available from the 121 or pride to put in? or is it even possible at all?

the Festy actually had a power steering option....so they are out there.
    "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
    89L Silver EFI auto
    91GL Green Auto DD
    There ain't no rest for the wicked
    until we close our eyes for good.
    I will sleep when I die!
    I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Oh ok great, I have seen power steering pumps for sale but wasn't exactly sure of their authenticity. Does anybody else on here have it on their festy?

Comment

this weekend

I am going to install my power steering pump next weekend.

The long belt is because I also have air.
        The only reason for the delay was painting the oil dipstick tube + it's time for the Woodward Cruise this weekend. Thunder all day long from a clear sky! I'm bringing along a set of ear protectors for the emergency vehicle cruise on Friday. All those ambulances and fire trucks.

Comment

Power Steering was an option but only for certain years and models.
          But are swap able to all models, but believe you need the rack and pinion swapped as well, so not a quick/easy bolt-on.
          '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
          '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
          '92 Aqua parts Car
          '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
          '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
          Your holy ghost will not save you.
          Your God plutonium will not save you.
          In fact...
          ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Has anyone swapped over the power steering rack and pump from an Aspire into a Festiva?
            James
            Phoenix, Arizona
            --------------------------------------The Stable-----------------------------------------------------
            '91 Ford Festiva L, Mostly Smurf Blue with some white and dark blue as well. For Sale
            '10 Subaru Legacy GT Limited, Ruby Red Pearl <~~~ Wife's car
            '13 Hyundai Accent SE, Ironman Silver <~~~My Car
            My SuperMotors Page

Comment

there was one in the junkyard here that had power steering and the air conditioning lines had to be rerouted also.

Comment

multirib

The Aspire power steering pump has a pressed on multirib drive pulley.
                You would have to get a multirib secondary crankshaft drive pulley + A/C compressor with multirib pulley. The P/S pump takes the place of the belt tensioner.

Comment

An alternative to adding power steering is to find skinnier front tires. If its a GL it probably has 165 width tires, try finding some 145/12 tires.

You can also try higher tire pressure.
                  91GL BP/F3A with boost
                  13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Power steering came on 90-91 Festiva's as an option. If you search www.car-parts.com you might be able to find a PS set up. Or try placing an ad here in the For sale forum.
                    Brian
                    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
                    :fish:

Comment

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
                      The Aspire power steering pump has a pressed on multirib drive pulley.
                      You would have to get a multirib secondary crankshaft drive pulley + A/C compressor with multirib pulley. The P/S pump takes the place of the belt tensioner.
                      I know about the different pulleys, just something I was pondering since I have a complete (minus motor) '95 Aspire sitting in the backyard.
                      James
                      Phoenix, Arizona
                      --------------------------------------The Stable-----------------------------------------------------
                      '91 Ford Festiva L, Mostly Smurf Blue with some white and dark blue as well. For Sale
                      '10 Subaru Legacy GT Limited, Ruby Red Pearl <~~~ Wife's car
                      '13 Hyundai Accent SE, Ironman Silver <~~~My Car
                      My SuperMotors Page

Comment

can you just swap pullys?
                        Going old school...

89L Carby FIDO, previously owned by FestivaFred

Comment

Skinnier, properly inflated tires can make all the difference in the world.
                          Or do what I did and tell her she'll get used to it.

Comment

Originally posted by KingFish View Post
                            can you just swap pullys?

No there is not enough clearance betweeh the crank pulley and frame.....oh wait there may be on the stock b3...not b8....i'll look when i get home.
                            -Greg
                            Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
                            BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
                            Redneck Engineer
                            FOTY - '09
                            5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

PS is a joke

One of my Festies has power steering. It's a total joke, just like the adjustable steering column on LXs. Just pump up your front tires to the proper level, like 36psi. Stock (narrow) tires on the front will also help somewhat. On one of my 88s, I run wide 13s on the front where the weight is for a smoother ride, and 12s on the back. I can tell the difference between this and my other 88 with 155-12s both front & rear in terms of steering effort required.

If you still want to have PS, beware of how it mounts with AC. I can't recall if my car with PS has AC or not (it's in SEA, I'm in ANC), but I'm curious as to where the PS pump mounts if it does have AC. I would think it would have to be above the alternator, which would block overhead access to the alternator and oil filter, just like like AC lines do, as well as emission control lines do on carb'd models.

I suspect there's a reason PS didn't start until 1990 -- there wasn't room for its plumbing with all the carb emission control lines.
                              88L black, dailydriver
                              88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
                              4 88/89 disassembled
                              91L green
                              91GL aqua pwrsteer
                              92GL red a/c reardmg
                              3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
                              1952 Cessna170B floatplane

Comment

Working...
                              X