Exterior trim paint - question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exterior trim paint - question

I know guys have painted their Festivas with rattle cans, rollers, brush, etc. Probably some the "real" way too. My dumb question is - Does anyone know if using exterior trim enamel would produce a decent job if sprayed on and what could one expect as to durability over a few years. It's relatively inexpensive, comes in flat, satin, and gloss, and the color charts are huge.

Reason I ask is the guy at the auto paint store said that flat and satin finishes in automotive paints are much more expensive than gloss finishes. That could be more than $100 for a gallon of paint. I don't know if this is true or not.

I want to apply a satin finish and the house paint at about $18/gal. is calling my name.

Any thoughts from the experts or experienced? My knowledge of painting is limited to "painting the town red" in my younger days, and I really don't know how that phrase came about either.

Thanks
    CZ

When reading about the $50 roll on paint job, I came across a lot of people that used the same cheap rustoleum paint, but thinned and sprayed it with an hvlp gun. They all said it came out nicer than doing it the roll on way
    "Lane, I've been going to this high school for seven and a half years. I'm no dummy."

Gone but never forgotten, "Hulkstiva"...http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ht=progression

Comment

By "house paint" I hope you don't mean latex or water based.

1993 Festiva L, aspire swapped, selling parts for a BP+T build.

Comment

Originally posted by big_ty2003 View Post
        I would not recommend taking it to the carwash or getting caught in the rain if so... haha
        The normal is not always normal... MOST is not ALL... And any job can be hard if you don't have the right tools!!!

My Fleet:
        89 L 4spd (Daily Driver(if it isn't broke down)) "Spanky"

Comment

I think FB71 painted his hood with Rustoleum in a satin black and it came out real nice. There's a picture floating around here somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by big_ty2003 View Post
            I guess that would be Acrylic Latex Enamel. I don't see much Oil Base Enamel too much anymore. Houses get rained on all the time and I don't think the paint washes off.

I guess its best to stick with automotive paints or Rustoleum. Sometimes a buck saved up front usually ends up costing more later.

Comment

i rattle can'd a old car and my forearms were cramped for 4 days...no lie...the job came out very good except for the huge areas like the hood....you could see the strokes...and i even tried to go in reverse direction from previous coat...if you rattle can i suggest buying fatcaps cuz standard killed my forearms...but i suggest a roller job...thin the paint out alot...i think it has to rustoleum paint....i also hear you can thin it out and spray it on....or you can always buy a quart or 2 of real auto paint from me

ADMIN @ http://ironjuggernauts.com/forum.php?referrerid=1

Comment

Working...
              X