Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cross-Country Rally Races in the US?

Hey guys,

One of my dreams in life is to enter something similar to the Gumball 3000. Too bad it costs in average of $100,000. My question for you guys is you wouldn't happen to know any other races like it that would costs a significantly less amount of money? I really wanna do this sometime in my lifetime be it in my Festy or not, young or old.
    Current cars:

1993 Ford Festiva 5-Speed - Festiclese III - Cousin of the Banhammer - "The Jalopnik Car"
    1984 Toyota Cressida - 2JZGE Swap, Turbocharged.
    2013 Mazda Mazda2 - Exhaust and Wheels (the daily)
    2002 Toyota Tundra - V6/Auto/2WD - The Tow Vehicle.

Originally posted by chrisofna View Post
    Hey guys,

One of my dreams in life is to enter something similar to the Gumball 3000. Too bad it costs in average of $100,000. My question for you guys is you wouldn't happen to know any other races like it that would costs a significantly less amount of money? I really wanna do this sometime in my lifetime be it in my Festy or not, young or old.
    There is a road rally they have in the sandhills of western Nebraska. The police close off every single road in the entire county. It's not very big, but I hear it is a blast to compete in and speeds average in excess of 100MPH (all on public roads).
    Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
    04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
    62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
    Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Any more info on it? Rules, requirements, etc? Because It'd totally be worth the road trip to represent FF.com.
      Current cars:

1993 Ford Festiva 5-Speed - Festiclese III - Cousin of the Banhammer - "The Jalopnik Car"

Comment

SANDHILLS OPEN ROAD CHALLENGE

http://www.sorcrace.com/

1993 Festiva L, aspire swapped, selling parts for a BP+T build.

Comment

You could also think about the BABE rally. (Big Apple to Big Easy)
          It's not all the way cross county, but New York to New Orleans is a pretty good haul.
          Biggest rule is car must have cost less than $500 and many Festivas easily fit in that category. I've been thinking this one would be a lot of fun since I heard about it.
          The next one is June 7-11 2010.
          1992 Green GL - "It's not easy being green" - Kermit - RIP killed by a tree
          1992 Aqua Funtop - Belle
          Wife of V8Festiva.

Madness Committee Member
          website www.festivamadness.com

Comment

[QUOTE=big_ty2003;259314]SANDHILLS OPEN ROAD CHALLENGE

That be the one. I couldn't remember the name. If you go to the website and look at the rules and classes, it looks like the perfect event for a swapped Festiva! The slowest street class is an average speed of 80MPH and a speed limit of 120MPH with no previous experience required. They also have a 1/2 mile and 1 mile shootout where you run for top speed and a burn-out competition.
            Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
            04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon

Comment

I couldn't do the BABE rally because After everything I've done to my car its definitely not under $500, lol.

The Sandhills race looks awesome! I wonder how far people go out of thier way to race that one?
              Current cars:

Comment

Originally posted by chrisofna View Post
                I couldn't do the BABE rally because After everything I've done to my car its definitely not under $500, lol.

The Sandhills race looks awesome! I wonder how far people go out of thier way to race that one?
                My guess is you would win the trophy for "farthest distance traveled" and would have the only Festiva! Seriously, it would be quite a trip, given your location. I would think there is something closer to your home (unless you like corn and cattle).

On the other hand, I have an uncle that lives in Valdosta, GA, who races a vintage Mini in SCCA Solo autocross. He travels all over the nation to compete in Regional and National events. In fact, the National Championships have been permanently moved from Topeka, KS, to Lincoln, NE, and are taking place all next week.
                Brian

Comment

SCCA always costs too much around here. In my situation they want me to cage my car and such, and I'm not doing that in a street car. I would of raced the MR2 I had in SCCA if it didn't cost so much dang money a race here. If I'm gonna spend alot of money I better be on a track for at least 15 mins, not dodging cones for like 30 seconds.
                  Current cars:

Comment

Working...
                  X