Might buy this car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Might buy this car

ok I just stumbled upon a '91 Ford Probe GT. It's a 2.2L Turbo, qith 150k miles, the guy wants a grand. Should I go for it? my aspire is starting to cost as much in oil as gas.
    I could bore you with a philosophical tirade about freedom and tyranny, or try and explain to you what new horizons are suddenly open to me, but I doubt you would understand and if you did it might frighten you. That amuses me.

no

I would not go for it, but ask yourself a couple of questions.

Is he under 40 (the guy selling the car) if he is chances are he drove it, well, like a guy drives a car that has turbo HARD.

Second its a turbo with 140,000 miles on it, that is pretty old I think, and im sure many would agree. You don't know what state the turbo is in, and if the owner gave it time to cool down before turning the engine off.

I wouldn't buy it, besides for like 150 bucks, and a friend you could get a new 1.3 in your assfire.

Just a thought.

Logan

Comment

the car was originally owned by a girl who I don't think understood what she had. anyway, there is 2 things that bother me though. one, she hit something with the wheel and bent a strut bar I think? I don't remember what it was, but that has been replaced. and also, when you start the engine it sounds like the valves are ticking and the check engine light comes on, but once you start driving all that goes away.
      I could bore you with a philosophical tirade about freedom and tyranny, or try and explain to you what new horizons are suddenly open to me, but I doubt you would understand and if you did it might frighten you. That amuses me.

Comment

The ticking is either the lifters or the valves. It is usually from lack of oil being at the top of the motor. Probably going to be looking at a head job. The car could last a while or not. But I would definitely look at the fact that it is going to need roughly $3oo-500 in parts to have it repaired. If you do it right. Not only that, once you get into the enging you will probably find a bunch of other things like gaskets, timing belt and other oddities that will need to be replaced. Sounds like the $1000 car is worth about $500. But he'll probably get the grand for it just because it says "TURBO" on it. It's like trying to by a Mustang GT that hasn't been beaten on.
        Fast, fun and good gas mileage. 91' Festiva(RIP) and 96' Aspire(RIP). The website is no more.

Comment

those engines are notorious for lifter colapse. Not really a big deal. Doesn't require removal of the head. BUT, unless the car is REALLY clean and you REALLY want/need to have it, my max would be $200. I had a chance to get one for free (needed turbo seals) and turned it down. Just didn't feel like screwing with it.
          Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
          Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Working...
          X