Ahhhh, somebody help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ahhhh, somebody help!

My ex and I traded cars for a couple days. She has a '96 Grand Am GT with the craptastic 2.4L. I drove it to work and back, and on the way home it died suddenly. I started it back up and now it's got a loud knock. I checked her oil and she was low, but not low enough that it should have caused problems. The car dying suddenly and the knock are obviously related, since they happened at the same time. I thought such a serious knock would start gradually, not all at once. Does anyone have a clue what might have happened here?
    Last edited by garylau; 09-16-2009, 04:47 PM.
    1992 Subaru Legacy
    1988 Chevy Caprice Classic

If the oil pressure dropped it could have cut off the fuel pump making it quit. Should have killed it before damage though.
    Jerry
    Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
    90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
    92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
    93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

Originally posted by bebandit View Post
      If the oil pressure dropped it could have cut off the fuel pump making it quit. Should have killed it before damage though.
      ????

Not on a Grand Am.

Refresh my memory; 2.4L = Quad4?
      Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
      Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

You got it Jim. Which is the answer right there. Those engines never were any damn good.
        Search Master - Honorary Member of Midwest Festiva Inc., Gulf Coast Chapter

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
        - Unknown
        I don't like superstitious people. They're bad luck. - Serge A. Storms

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
        - Quentin Crisp

God, please save me from your followers!
        - Bumper Sticker

Comment

I guess the plan now is to try to get as much as we can for the car so she can buy a beater to get by on for a few months. I can't see putting more work into that car, considering those motors are junk anyway. It's actually very solid with some nice Falken performance tires on it, so hopefully some back yard mechanic will give her $500 for it.
          1992 Subaru Legacy

Comment

Dont' count on it. I'd never buy a pontiac.
            ---------------------------------------------------
            The Jester - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter
            ---------------------------------------------------
            BUILD'EM CHEAP, RUN'EM HARD, REPAIR'EM DAILY!

Comment

I thought the quad 4 was an ok motor DOHC & all
              It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

Originally posted by festivaWES View Post
                Dont' count on it. I'd never buy a pontiac.
                I have no issues with my Bonneville....would love and old Trans Am.
                "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                89L Silver EFI auto
                91GL Green Auto DD
                There ain't no rest for the wicked
                until we close our eyes for good.
                I will sleep when I die!
                I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

This might not account for the not running, but my nissan p.u. all of a sudden started knocking like the end of the world. After being carried to the mechanic, it turned out to be a head gasket blown between cylinders. Your ecu might not have been able to handle the weirdness coming out the pipe and just quit.
                  qroger

Comment

I like some Pontiacs, really miss all my old Firebirds (had 3 of them, '79, '84, and '86), but this one has 136k and this is already it's second engine. Sadly, the motor in it only has about 80k and has already been nothing but trouble.
                    1992 Subaru Legacy

Comment

Originally posted by bebandit View Post
                      I was thinking of the electric fuel pump. I've had a Pontiac in the past that the pump was wired through the oil pump pressure switch. (not sure if through a relay or direct connection) No oil pressure and no run. I know that for a fact on my Sunbird (1977). I tried it!! Unplugged the connector on the pressure switch. Ran for about 15 seconds or so and it quit. No fuel.
                      Jerry
                      Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
                      90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
                      92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
                      93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

Working...
                      X