Electric Festivas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric Festivas

New to this forum - interested in hearing from anyone who has or is working on a battery electric Festiva and any details of the components and the conversion process.

Henry Keultjes
    hbkeultjes at earthlink dot net

Welcome to the site!
    I dont think anyone here has done an electric conversion. Its been done to be sure, once definately. But the type of per charge mileage it was getting (something like 50 miles) didnt make it anything Id be interested in myself. Not when you can get over 400 miles to a tankful.
    Search Master - Honorary Member of Midwest Festiva Inc., Gulf Coast Chapter

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
    - Unknown
    I don't like superstitious people. They're bad luck. - Serge A. Storms

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
    - Quentin Crisp

God, please save me from your followers!
    - Bumper Sticker

Comment

I know of 2 here in florida. I helped build one, and sold a engine-less festy to the other guy. I probably don't have enough answers for you, but I do know some...There is a company (not sure who) that sells a kit to mate to the transmisssion. Again I do not know who sold the kit. My friend got it off ebay, It was $200 but was said to have retailed for $1900. We also used an aircraft starter and alot of batteries. I know he also spent $1000, for a "controller". It does about 55 mph and has about a 50 mile range and takes a while to charge. Hope this helps.
      -Greg
      Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
      BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
      Redneck Engineer
      FOTY - '09
      5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

I could imagine it being pretty neat if you do a lot of city driving or have a short work commute. Less gas used is less gas used.
        91GL BP/F3A with boost
        13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Gravelcrawler on here is actually building an electric '65 VW Beetle. He's using an electric forklift motor to power the transmission.
          www.cardomain.com/id/jermnc77

Madness Committee Member & Contact Person
          www.festivamadness.com

Festiva Madness
          Snoopy's
          4621 Atlantic Ave
          Raleigh, NC 27604

Comment

Originally posted by eurotiva View Post
            I know of 2 here in florida. I helped build one, and sold a engine-less festy to the other guy. I probably don't have enough answers for you, but I do know some...There is a company (not sure who) that sells a kit to mate to the transmisssion. Again I do not know who sold the kit. My friend got it off ebay, It was $200 but was said to have retailed for $1900. We also used an aircraft starter and alot of batteries. I know he also spent $1000, for a "controller". It does about 55 mph and has about a 50 mile range and takes a while to charge. Hope this helps.
            Seems like a lot of trouble and expense for a limited return--slow and short range. Possibly useful in limited applications; but with hypermiling in the city you can beat 50 MPG, and you're not restricted to 55 MPH on the hwy. At current prices for gas here, $2.17 for regular, 50 MPG equals 4.34 cents per mile. It would take forever to break even on the cost of the conversion. And the batteries don't last forever.
            Last edited by TominMO; 09-16-2009, 09:29 PM.
            90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
            09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I'm with TominMO on this. I'm waiting until battery technology advances and battery prices come down Before I would consider. I've seen 4 ev festivas on the web and know of one local with the running gear from forklift.
              youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

I met takeone51 (Chris) and his wife....and he has a kit...just sitting there.....and his car is b6t and laughing gas....
                -Greg
                Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
                BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
                Redneck Engineer
                FOTY - '09
                5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

battery and electric motor technology has improved drastically over the years....but i remember a forklift i used to drive at ford motor co that would do 25 mph...it was fast as crap ! and it was big !...batterys weighed 4500 lbs !...one large one but they would have to charge overnite in order to run next day for 6-8 hours..48 volt .and would sometimes need a battery change during the day to keep going...the sad thing about electrics is the weight factor....but i think forklift stuff would be best best to put into a festy...course then again i havent kept up on the electric stuff like i used to....still think hydrogen is the way to go...my .02 worth
                  1992 festy GL, loaded, stock, 79 K
                  1994 Ford ranger - 2.3 I4 - 5 spd.
                  1999 Ford ranger - 3.0L V6 - 365 K and rising ! ( shooting for 500 K )
                  2000 Ford F-350 dually crew cab - 4x4 powerstroke !
                  2003 Ford Focus SVT - supercharged
                  2005 Saleen N20 Focus

" If it hurts when you do that, Dont do that !!! " - mikec

" Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill ! " - unknown

" Three can keep a secret, if two are dead ! " - Carlos Marcello

Comment

For the amount of money you'd spend on going electric right now, and the limited range you would get, I'd be more inclined to swap to diesel, and then do a bio diesel second tank. I have a friend who bought a diesel bug, installed a 12 gallon bio tank in the trunk, gets his fry oil free from several restaurants near where he works, routed his antifreeze to the trunk to warm the bio, and literally buys maybe one tank of regular diesel every six months. Basically, he runs the regular diesel until the antifreeze flowing to the bio tank has liquified the bio, then he switches to that tank. So, on average, he uses regular diesel for, maybe 10 minutes a day. The rest of the time, he's on bio.
                    And he averages between 60 and 70 mpgs. :shock:

I think electric, in the future, will be the way we go, but it's just not here yet. IMHO

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
                    1989 L - 247K miles Slick
                    1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
                    Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Originally posted by batstiva View Post
                      I think electric, in the future, will be the way we go, but it's just not here yet. IMHO
                      That's what I think too. It's weight and cost prohibitive right now. They have come a long way but we aren't there yet.

I'm looking forward to it!
                      youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

Yes, yes, yes. I agree with Mike.....HYDROGEN !!!! Put a Mason jar on there already!
                        I really cant believe I dont read more on here about hydrogen. Cleaner burning, cleans the engine, increases HP, increases MPG. One of the reasons I got an '88 was for the carb. Hydrogen works with carb's real well.

If TominMO put hydrogen on BLUE, i'm sure he could get close to 70MPG.
                        Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                        Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                        Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                        Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                        http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

I would be interested in hearing more details from those electric folks in Florida.
                          hbkeultjesatearthlinkdotnet

Comment

I met takeone51 (Chris) and his wife....and he has a kit...just sitting there.....and his car is b6t and laughing gas....
                            Any more details on that kit just sitting there?

Comment

Originally posted by hbkeultjes View Post
                              New to this forum - interested in hearing from anyone who has or is working on a battery electric Festiva and any details of the components and the conversion process.

Henry Keultjes
                              hbkeultjes at earthlink dot net
                              Any Festiva members in Ohio? Near Mansfield?

Comment

Working...
                              X