Importing cars from other countries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Importing cars from other countries

I know its alot of red tape, but I see quite a few cars from other counties here in the US. People are doing it. I don't find a lot of info on the web. I've sent emails to a few places that seem to deal in this area, but got no replies. Called one place and got the feeling that once the guy thought I didn't have money, he didn't want to talk anymore. There has to be a way. Look at this car. It couldn't possibly take much to make it legal for use here. Look closely. Its left hand drive and ready to ship. I would not change my mind!

I wonder what the laws in England are regarding right vs. left hand drive. I know older American collector cars can be driven there. Can this one be being so new and LHC?

Maybe fly over and put big balloon tires on it and drive it home LOL.
    Last edited by David88; 09-19-2009, 02:05 AM.
    '89L 110k mi. BP/G swapped
    '90LX 68k mi. wrecked 12/14 RIP
    '90 F250 4X4 108K mi.
    '13 Kia Rio 5 LX 70k mi.
    '18 Kia Soul 40k mi. Daily
    '64 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk
    '66 International Harvester pickup

The laws on importing cars are clear. A car to be imported must be manufactured to US crash protection standards and certified by the manufacturer for use in the USA, or you may bring a car in if you can prove that it meets or exceeds all USA crash protection standards. This is difficult to do because you basically need to crash test a few cars using an authorized lab and all of the modifications to turnsignals, bumpers, headlights, etc can only be done by an authorized import modification shop and there are only a few of the in the USA.

There is one loophole is all of this though... any car can be imported into the USA regardless of crash protection standards if the car is 25 years old or older. Import fees still apply (usually 10 percent for a car, 25 percent for a truck).
    I'm going to come at you like a spider monkey!
    White 1993 L plus, 5 speed - 47k miles
    * Aspire brake swap, 14" Miata wheels & Tein coliover suspension

Comment

^^^ Yeah,,,what he said! I believe that even if a car looks the same as its American counterpart, (like this Pride does), it still may not meet our standards for safety and/or emissions, and as B8kedbeans said, it's seriously expensive to do it, and IMO, not at all worth it for car that cheap. Who knows, You may end up paying $10,000 for a $600 Festy. Better off finding a nice one here. On the other hand, there are PLENTY of older, 1960's cool cars across the pond that I'd love to import here!
      If it has boobs or wheels, sooner or later you're going to have trouble with it.
      Mark S.

Comment

A co-worker of mine owns a Nissan Skyline imported from Japan and it does not meet U.S. crash standards. There's almost nothing behind the front bumper besides some foam and brackets to hold the the bumper cover in place. Can't remember the year, it's a late 90's model. It's registered through New York. He had purchased from a company that imported it, they had to hire a Japanese translator for the title.

Comment

Thats my point. I know there are cars here in this country that technically shouldn't be. I think it takes money and having the right connections and your car would get here.
          '89L 110k mi. BP/G swapped
          '90LX 68k mi. wrecked 12/14 RIP
          '90 F250 4X4 108K mi.
          '13 Kia Rio 5 LX 70k mi.
          '18 Kia Soul 40k mi. Daily
          '64 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk
          '66 International Harvester pickup

Comment

I know of a few cars here in the US that have been imported from Canada. One friend (that won't be named) simply re-vin'ed his much superior Canada import from a wrecked US model. His feelings on it are the same as mine, since the US authorities don't have our best interests in mind to begin with, why follow their "rules". He's not too worried about getting busted for this either since it would take a VERY knowledgable law enforcement officer (in obscure details of automobile models...from a distance) to find out.

Another friend imported a nice deisel powered Toyota van (never offered here) that just hit the 25 year mark.

I'm a big fan of the 2-door HB Toyota Echo they sold in Canada (and everywhere but here) with the VVT-i 1.5L which pulls over 50MPG in the heavier US sedan model, even more in the ultra-light HB. If I found the right VIN donor, I'd be doing the same thing as my friend above.

FX
            Because....45 MPG.

Comment

What if you are not using the car on road? Simply track driven? Any easier?

Comment

David88 wrote:

"Thats my point. I know there are cars here in this country that technically shouldn't be. I think it takes money and having the right connections and your car would get here."

I believe it's known as the "grey market." It's for the well-heeled and the companies know just how to work the system, or at least to not attract too much attention.

These laws are another example of how the U.S. gov't meddles in concerns it shouldn't be involved in. Corporations and the super rich can get around or change most regs, while those regs constantly get in the way of the little people.

The VIN swapping thing would be the way to go. Keep it LHD and a two-door hatch model to avoid undue attention and use a car you already have for the "ghost VIN." With all the mods we do and repainting, etc., who would know what happened to your old car? You simply "upgraded" it.

(With a new body and lots of parts.)

Note: Nothing in my post should be construed to encourage breaking our lovely, politician approved, wastefulness-producing laws that are designed to encourage you to buy a new car instead of recycling your old ones.

Karl
                Last edited by Safety Guy; 09-20-2009, 11:59 AM.
                '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

In Canada they advertise Right Drive.ca and they sell imported cars. (http://www.rightdrive.ca/) Most of the cars are older early 90s but they cost as much as a newer vehicle. You might be able to buy it off these guys then bring it into the US, but im sure that won't be to easy either...
                  90 Festiva L Auto - Parts
                  93 Festiva L 5 speed
                  93 Festiva LX 5 speed

Comment

Originally posted by festyxfi View Post
                    I'm a big fan of the 2-door HB Toyota Echo they sold in Canada (and everywhere but here) with the VVT-i 1.5L which pulls over 50MPG in the heavier US sedan model, even more in the ultra-light HB. If I found the right VIN donor, I'd be doing the same thing as my friend above.

FX
                    Google says Echo was between 2000 and 2100 pounds depending on model. How much lighter was the Canadian model?

Were 1500 pound class car imported into USA in recent decades limited to Festiva, Metro/Sprint, and Justy? Well maybe the Starlet, but dont think there were many of those sold. I've only seen one in this area. It was at junk car auction and kinda regret not buying it even with dead engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnie View Post
                      What if you are not using the car on road? Simply track driven? Any easier?
                      There is an exemption for vehicles that will not be licensed for the road, and used for competition purposes only. See near the bottom of this page. But it mentions temporary importation.

90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Apparently you can import some off road vehicles. There are various places that import little mini Japanese pickups that were road legal in Japan, but here you cant license them for on road use, at least in most states I think. They are 4wd so compete with the Gator type vehicles I guess. I suppose if you were really desperate to license one, you could replace the cab with cab off old mini Japanese pickup from way back that was legal here like a Datsun 521 or something. Might have to extend frame a bit or shorten the box bed as these new minis are cab forward design and the old minis were standard design with a hood in front of the cab.

Comment

au contrare on the jap mini trucks...some states are legally licensing for road use, so if you get one of these get it from one of the guys that are getting them titled and licensed for road use...then transfer that title to your state...bingo !....i dont think the coppers would pay much attention to the vehicle as far as crashworthiness goes...neither would the DMV...they would just do a title transfer and done,,,
                          1992 festy GL, loaded, stock, 79 K
                          1994 Ford ranger - 2.3 I4 - 5 spd.
                          1999 Ford ranger - 3.0L V6 - 365 K and rising ! ( shooting for 500 K )
                          2000 Ford F-350 dually crew cab - 4x4 powerstroke !
                          2003 Ford Focus SVT - supercharged
                          2005 Saleen N20 Focus

" If it hurts when you do that, Dont do that !!! " - mikec

" Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill ! " - unknown

" Three can keep a secret, if two are dead ! " - Carlos Marcello

Comment

The mini trucks thing is a state law vs federal law. Federal law is stupid big brother we know best no fun for you what are you thinking anyway and why don't you just buy a suv law. Japan life expectancy is 82. US life expectancy is 78. Of course feds know what is safe and not safe on the road. pfffft!

Comment

grog, you got that right....they gotta protect us from ourselves !...afterall, we all know that the goverment ALWAYS looks out for OUR best interests and safety....yeah, right ...LOL
                              1992 festy GL, loaded, stock, 79 K
                              1994 Ford ranger - 2.3 I4 - 5 spd.
                              1999 Ford ranger - 3.0L V6 - 365 K and rising ! ( shooting for 500 K )
                              2000 Ford F-350 dually crew cab - 4x4 powerstroke !
                              2003 Ford Focus SVT - supercharged
                              2005 Saleen N20 Focus

" If it hurts when you do that, Dont do that !!! " - mikec

" Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill ! " - unknown

" Three can keep a secret, if two are dead ! " - Carlos Marcello

Comment

Working...
                              X