MPG Run--1995 Aspire SE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by neanderpaul View Post
    Increasingly strict safety regulations make them heavier.
    Yeah, and the Rio had a 1.6 motor IIRC, to compensate for the extra weight.
    Edit: just did a search, the 1st-gen Rio had a 96-HP 1.5L motor, and weighed 2103 lbs (probably dry). Makes me wonder about engine compatibility with Festy trannies. Or Kia engine/trans swaps into a Festy with some other axles.
    Last edited by TominMO; 09-20-2009, 02:54 PM.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Mileage Variables

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
      49 is good, but I've gotten 52.1 MPG @ 60 MPH with my Festy, 58.5 @ 55, 62.5 @ 45. You can see a consistent trend here regarding speed,
      If I remember correctly from my days of riding a 90cc Bike, wind resistance doesn't really arise till 55mph or so. If I remember an exposure to math that I once had, air resistance increases with speed by an exponential amount rather than a linear amount: Double the speed, cube the air resistance, I think.

It is doubly strange that the Aspire which is new enough to benefit from Aerodynamic knowledge isn't more slippery, since the Festiva looks as aerodynamic as a Hummer.
      Qroger

Comment

Originally posted by qroger View Post
        If I remember correctly from my days of riding a 90cc Bike, wind resistance doesn't really arise till 55mph or so. If I remember an exposure to math that I once had, air resistance increases with speed by an exponential amount rather than a linear amount: Double the speed, cube the air resistance, I think.

It is doubly strange that the Aspire which is new enough to benefit from Aerodynamic knowledge isn't more slippery, since the Festiva looks as aerodynamic as a Hummer.
        Qroger
        The Aspire's about 300 lbs heavier, and the tires I have on it are 185/70x13. Stockers were 165s, so there's more drag there.

As to wind resistance, it depends on the slipperyness of the specific vehicle. A Festiva with a large door attached vertically to the front of it would run into a resistance issue at a lot lower speed than a stock one. 55 sounds a little high as the average speed at which air resistance matters; I suspect it's more like 45.

Looking at the two cars side by side along the hood/windshield area, the Aspire hood is more smoothly rounded and the windshield has more rake (slope backwards), so it looks more aerodynamic. But as narrow as both cars are, there is just not much surface area for the air to interact with, which lessens the differences in drag.
        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Working...
        X