Ford Ka

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford Ka

I thought this agreement between Ford and Fiat, before the Chrysler bailout, would result in Michigan production.

The British commercials are a little too intense for me though:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Ford executives say they are now actively considering bringing models to Canada that won't make it to the U.S., such as the Ka minicar, to better service this market and to keep up with various moves by their competitors.

This is a change in direction for the Detroit-based firm, since it has spent the last couple of years not importing models from Mercury that the Americans get.

Phil Martens, Ford's director of North American product development, admitted at the recent Toronto auto show that his company has to do something to help its Oakville-based distribution arm. ''We have to figure out a way to develop product for Canada and get in the game,'' he said.

He also pointed out that it's very difficult and expensive to develop a new model for the Canadian market, which is why he is looking around the world for something that already exists and might be appropriate.

That brings up the subject of the KA, which has had significant success in Europe since it debuted there in 1996.

Ka is definitely a very compact city car, in any of the three versions available -- regular hardtop, Streetka two-seat roadster, and the Sportka.

The original shape of the Ka has been maintained over the years (they call it an ''iconic'' shape), but there have been alterations and refinements through they years.

This shape is supposed to say ''fun. It is minimalistic and functional. It is quirky and full of personality. It is Ford Ka, and it remains Ford Ka. It has no imitators.''

The shape may have stayed the same, but the Ka is now offered with the 1.3-litre Duratec 8V inline-four, which the company describes in a press release as ''a free-revving engine that delivers improved acceleration and bottom end torque, refined driving quality and improved fuel economy benefits to the baby Ford.''

The engine has been calibrated to provide strong low-end torque for flexibility and strong performance feel at low engine speeds, with the 80-odd ft.-lb arriving at 3,000 rpm and nearly 90 percent of maximum torque available between 1,500 and 4,500 rpm.

This engine is coupled to Ford's iB5 five-speed manual gearbox equipped with a hydraulically-operated clutch system.
    Last edited by bravekozak; 09-19-2009, 11:27 AM.

Those commercials are dis-gusting.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

HA HA thats funny!!!

Comment

Ha ha. That's funny. If they made a commercial like that here, the SPCA would be all over them.

Actually, kind of digging the car, tho. I'm taking it that Canada might be getting them, but not the States?

Thank you to the powers that be, yet again, not giving us another small car option. 12 different models of gas guzzlers, and 1 sipper?? :evil:

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
        1989 L - 247K miles Slick
        1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
        Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

one word

The reason why Ford wants to import the Ka is due to one word,

S.M.A.R.T.

A lot of people are buying them. Ford wants to compete with Benz.

Thanks to Auto Express for the pics: This new car is slated to debut later this year at the 2008 Paris Auto Show.
          Last edited by bravekozak; 09-19-2009, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Great! But let's get to the meat! Does anything from that car fit a Festiva!?
            Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
            Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
            Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
            Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
            http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Those commercials are AWESOME! I'd love to see stuff like that over here, but noooo everyone is sooooo sensitive. Oh, if you go on Ford's Euro website you can "build" Ka's and Fiestas and it shows them in 3d......I was having fun with it last night

Ok, well now you've gotten ------g silly. ~ MONSOON

Comment

I think they have been making the Ka in Mexico but they can't bring it to the USA because "it's too far away from Europe." It's not safe because a 5000 lb SUV will squash it. And my personal favorite: It doesn't meet emissions.

Lets say an old Mini got 25mpg and a 3/4 Chevy Suburban got 12.5mpg. So the Mini makes more smog per mile? Noooo, more smog per gallon. Supposedly. And the Suburban was a work truck so it was on a different spec anyway. And they are Still at it.

Comment

Great, so the same govt. that is supposed to be encouraging us to drive more fuel efficient vehicles won't let another one into the market??
                  Could be wrong, but I don't see how it could be less safe than either the Smart (which I see running around every day) or the newer Accents.
                  Not saying I would run out and buy one tomorrow, but I would like to have the option.

Plus, the sooner they get over here, the sooner one will end up in the j/y, and we can find out what on them will fit a Festy. :mrgreen:

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
                  1989 L - 247K miles Slick
                  1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
                  Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

It would probably just come over as a 4 door hatch or sedan anyways. Same thing with the Fiesta. I dont want a damned 4 door and because its not even an option it means that if I want a 2 door I have to look at the Yari or maybe even the Kia Koupe.
                    Search Master - Honorary Member of Midwest Festiva Inc., Gulf Coast Chapter

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
                    - Unknown
                    I don't like superstitious people. They're bad luck. - Serge A. Storms

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
                    - Quentin Crisp

God, please save me from your followers!
                    - Bumper Sticker

Comment

What's so funny about hurting/killing animals? Seriously?

Nice looking car though, just idiot market peeps.

FX
                      Because....45 MPG.

Comment

It's not supposed to be serious, it's the idea that the car can defend itself that's funny, but twist it into whatever you want; what the hell do I care I didn't write the damned thing

Ok, well now you've gotten ------g silly. ~ MONSOON

Comment

Oh come one you guys! You gotta admit the pigeon one is funny! I mean who wouldnt want a car that could do that to those flying .... machines? The cat one does bother me though. Probably because I like cats.
                          Search Master - Honorary Member of Midwest Festiva Inc., Gulf Coast Chapter

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
                          - Unknown
                          I don't like superstitious people. They're bad luck. - Serge A. Storms

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
                          - Quentin Crisp

God, please save me from your followers!
                          - Bumper Sticker

Comment

Originally posted by festyxfi View Post
                            What's so funny about hurting/killing animals? Seriously?

Nice looking car though, just idiot market peeps.

FX
                            X2
                            90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                            09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by FFesti_90 View Post
                              It's not supposed to be serious, it's the idea that the car can defend itself that's funny, but twist it into whatever you want; what the hell do I care I didn't write the damned thing
                              Exactly. No one figured you wrote it. The Cat one bothers me more than the "sky rat" one...so I guess I do harbor a bias hierachy of the animal kingdom.

Still, nice looking car though.

FX
                              Because....45 MPG.

Comment

Working...
                              X