Subaru Outback opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subaru Outback opinions

For those of you who read my previous thread, you know my daughter's mom's (I refuse to say baby-momma, crap I guess I just did, lol) Grand Am GT is now toast. I'm trying to help her find a beater to last until around February. Someone she knows offered her an Outback for $400. I don't know any of the details yet as far as engine, year, mileage, etc. All I know is it's a rust-free manual 4wd. That means I'll probably eventually try to buy it from her. Some time in the next couple days I'm going to check it out for her. Can I get some opinions/impressions from anyone with a little experience with them? Problem areas to watch for, expected mileage, etc.? Thanks!
    1992 Subaru Legacy
    1988 Chevy Caprice Classic

All my friends with Subarus say the engines will last forever, other than that I don't have any experience with them.
    Current cars:

1993 Ford Festiva 5-Speed - Festiclese III - Cousin of the Banhammer - "The Jalopnik Car"
    1984 Toyota Cressida - 2JZGE Swap, Turbocharged.
    2013 Mazda Mazda2 - Exhaust and Wheels (the daily)
    2002 Toyota Tundra - V6/Auto/2WD - The Tow Vehicle.

Comment

For $400? And it runs? I guess I don't understand your concerns? Even if it dies, you can part it out to recover the "investment".

I don't have any experience with the Outbacks but I bought a WRX wagon new in 2004. Fast, fun car but cheaply made. The body panels ding just by looking at them (just like a Festy lol) and the paint is really thin. Good engine, mediocre manual transmission. Drove it for less than a year, sold it and got an S4. No comparison.

I've heard that the Outbacks are a bit more rugged. And we are talking about $400! Go buy it.
      Oscar

Comment

Originally posted by perucho View Post
        For $400? And it runs? I guess I don't understand your concerns?
        If it was for me, I'd just buy it. I was mostly looking for info on reliability, and like I said, any known problem areas, just so I know what to watch for when I go look at it. As I said, it's not for me, so it has to be dependable for the next 6 months with no work put into it other than oil changes.
        1992 Subaru Legacy
        1988 Chevy Caprice Classic

Comment

I'd spend $400 on a festiva before a subaru......but that's me.

Then you can say "i like your car" every time you see her!!
          -Greg
          Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
          BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
          Redneck Engineer
          FOTY - '09
          5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

I hate working on the pancake motors....What is the engine code EJ25??
            ---------------------------------------------------
            The Jester - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter
            BUILD'EM CHEAP, RUN'EM HARD, REPAIR'EM DAILY!

Comment

Originally posted by garylau View Post
              If it was for me, I'd just buy it. I was mostly looking for info on reliability, and like I said, any known problem areas, just so I know what to watch for when I go look at it. As I said, it's not for me, so it has to be dependable for the next 6 months with no work put into it other than oil changes.
              Tough to say that for an older car (especially when the price tag is $400). However, if she's going to be driving your daughter in it, the Outback should be safer than a Festiva.
              Oscar

Comment

If a timing belt ever snaps in that thing you'll be replacing at least 2 intake valves maybe more.
                The Jester - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter
                BUILD'EM CHEAP, RUN'EM HARD, REPAIR'EM DAILY!

Comment

I've had four Subarus and currently have an Outback. Subes are generally pretty reliable. How can you go wrong with a $400 car that runs?

1998s with the 2.5L DOHC motor had head-gasket problems. Other than that, check all the obvious stuff; test-drive it too. Plan on repairs for a car costing $400. It depends on what you are willing to put into it. But if the motor and trans are good, and the body is not rusted out (highly unlikely that it would be), $400 is a good start even if you have to put in tires, axles, exhaust, clutch, battery, brakes, steering. Likely you won't have to do them all at once. And when you buy it from her, you will know its history very well.

Before purchase, take it for safety and emissions and find out what it would need to pass. That should help you make a decision.
                  90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                  09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

With manual transmission, if clutch isnt slipping, then its just how it drives. I used to go to lot junk car auctions and the only Suburus were either incredibly high mile ancient 2wd ones or AWD ones with clapped out automatics. I think Subaru automatics are something to be avoided. I always wanted a carburetor Brat with high/low range 4wd or even stationwagon with high/low 4wd. Unfortunately the only ones I ever see for last 20 years are half million mile versions totally worn out. Good specimens dont go cheap. suppose I should grab a Tracker/Sidekick with good body before they are all history too. If they only didnt have that stupid soft top.

Comment

I hear their pretty bullet-proof and reliable as long as you generally take care of them. Plus they hold their value really well.

Comment

Originally posted by Banana Bonanza View Post
                        With manual transmission, if clutch isnt slipping, then its just how it drives. I used to go to lot junk car auctions and the only Suburus were either incredibly high mile ancient 2wd ones or AWD ones with clapped out automatics. I think Subaru automatics are something to be avoided.
                        Legacy auto trans from 1991 to about 1994 were problematical; after that they figured out how to make them right.
                        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Working...
                        X