1992 Festiva Project Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1992 Festiva Project Car

Have a 1992 Festiva "L", 5-Spd that runs fairly good. My son and I are working on it togeather. Dents and dings in the body. Poor interior with pounds and pounds of junk. inside. A mechanic had it for transport only.
    It has: New plugs, new struts around, new bearings, new batt, new starter.
    I've changed oil to 10/30 Valvoline, run fuel injector cleaner thru it, sprayed the throttle body, put in a K&N. Using OEM style 12" front tires filled with Nitrogen.
    Problems: 1. High beam headlights will not come on. Low beams work.
    2. Main fusable link blew. Replace it with 14 AWG wire (Not happy with this).
    3. Other fusable links intact but look old. Would like to replace.

This is a long term project. Unit will be towed behind my old class "A" Motor Home. The unit runs fairly strong now, gives many a small 4-banger a fit from the light. I'm an old "hot rodder" who's been out of the sport for years. Help with parts and advise requested. Oil advise...5/30 at 180K Miles?

"DRIVE ON... ARMY"

Welcome!

Replace those fuse links with cartridge fuses, like this!

89SX funtop! Fully loaded!
    RIP 90LX

Comment

good idea....they just plug right into existing box ?...whats that 10 amp fuse i see behind the center one ?.....are they 20-30-20 or ?....and last...did you get them at the boneyard , if so off which vehicle ?
      Last edited by mikec; 09-24-2009, 06:00 PM. Reason: spelling
      1992 festy GL, loaded, stock, 79 K
      1994 Ford ranger - 2.3 I4 - 5 spd.
      1999 Ford ranger - 3.0L V6 - 365 K and rising ! ( shooting for 500 K )
      2000 Ford F-350 dually crew cab - 4x4 powerstroke !
      2003 Ford Focus SVT - supercharged
      2005 Saleen N20 Focus

" If it hurts when you do that, Dont do that !!! " - mikec

" Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill ! " - unknown

" Three can keep a secret, if two are dead ! " - Carlos Marcello

Comment

You said you put in a K&N air filter. Does it replace the stock one in the airbox? I'm trying to find what part # fits. According to K&N's website, there is no stock replacement air filter.
        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I like that you call the car "the unit". Why put nitrogen in your tires? Air works just as well and it's free. Good luck with your project, I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun.
          Oscar

Comment

i agree with tom...looked on KN website and they show nothing for air filter....were you referring to the oil filter ?
            1992 festy GL, loaded, stock, 79 K
            1994 Ford ranger - 2.3 I4 - 5 spd.
            1999 Ford ranger - 3.0L V6 - 365 K and rising ! ( shooting for 500 K )
            2000 Ford F-350 dually crew cab - 4x4 powerstroke !
            2003 Ford Focus SVT - supercharged
            2005 Saleen N20 Focus

" If it hurts when you do that, Dont do that !!! " - mikec

" Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill ! " - unknown

" Three can keep a secret, if two are dead ! " - Carlos Marcello

Comment

Originally posted by stefan View Post
              Welcome!

Those look like 30 - 40 - 30.

I'm running 20 - 30 - 20. I buy them at AutoZone.

BTW, welcome to the site.
              Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
              '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
              '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

Welcome, your location would help. Maybe someone close could help, need be.
                Chuck
                Life's a beach, then you marry one---- Shakespeare
                If money will fix it, it's not broken
                91 GL -Ol' Rusty
                93 GL - Lil Red
                91 L - Tweetystiva
                http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54176
                http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54596

Comment

i run 30-40-30 as well with no issues.

nitrogen is used in hi-po tires that see high temps on a regular basis to combat thermal expantion and give repeatable results (nitrogen is a stable and inert gas)
                  regular air is over 70% nitrogen, so for us, it works just fine.
                  Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                  94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I posted a reply earlier, but it doesn't appear. Oh well. Did the fuse swap as listed. 20-30-20. 30 Apm fuse is too tall. Did you file the sides to make it fit. My 30 Amp seems slightly taller than the other two (2). Seems snug in the slot, but tall.
                    Last edited by i218127; 09-25-2009, 06:37 PM.

Comment

They do come in various sizes, but as long as they fit properly, I wouldn't worry about it.
                      Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
                      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
                      '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
                      '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

Earlier I said that Nitrogin is lighter and more stable than Air. Tires run cooler, don't bounce as much and the Nitrogin doesn't leak (Infiltrate) out as quickly. Cornering is improved and tires last longer. The lighter weight allows the engine to rap up faster. I started using it in my MAZDA 6 (V6). One feels the improvement. Even my wife noticed the difference in her Tribute. It's worth the effort if you can find it. (Also, slightly better Gas Mileage)

That K&N part number is 33-2222. I found it on this site. K&N will not acknolwdge it as correct even if you call them. It seems to work. Grease the edges before you put it in. It helps in sealing.
                        Last edited by i218127; 09-25-2009, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stefan View Post
                          Welcome!

You need to put some touch up paint on that chip right above the fuseable link box.
                          ---------------------------------------------------
                          The Jester - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter
                          ---------------------------------------------------
                          BUILD'EM CHEAP, RUN'EM HARD, REPAIR'EM DAILY!

Comment

Will start working on the Ignition System Sunday. Wires, Cap and rotor.
                            Went to 5/30 Valvoline Synthetic today. The 10/30 was a good flush, but I think its too heavy. The 10/30 is strong on the low end, but seems to slow on the top. Oil is only Oil, but some seems to run better in various cars. Will post more later.

Thanks for all the help. Those fuses hit the spot!!
                            Last edited by i218127; 09-25-2009, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Put in the new Cap and Rotor and tried to replace the Spark Plug wires. The wires didn't fit! The Tower to Cap wire was too short. Had to return the box. Autozone part number 9199. Will try another set later today.

Replace the plugs with Platinums. Old plugs were gapped wrong, but looked OK. I think the other plugs were put in just to pass SMOG ! Runs a little better. More later.

Comment

Working...
                              X