Front Wheel Bearing Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Wheel Bearing Issue

About 2 months ago, I started getting a familiar whine from the front passenger side of the Festy. Since I've had wheel bearings go out in other vehicles before, I knew the familiar sound of a dying bearing, and knew it should be simple enough to fix.

So I get all the parts, and take about 3 hours to completely fix both sides with all new bearings and seals. Everything is great.....for about a month. Then I start getting the familiar whine again. So I tear back into it, and find a bearing that is falling apart again. I had actually been cheap the first time, and bought the cheapest bearing I could buy....the "house brand". So, I just assumed a bad cheapie bearing from the factory, and started in again on the passenger side with new bearings. Bought the good ones this time.

Everything is great again.....until this week. I start hearing the familiar whine again! WTF?! I'm starting to think that there's a different issue that is causing the bearing to crap out each time. I'm a fairly experienced "non-professional" home mechanic, so I'm pretty sure that everything went OK in the changeover. And yes, I greased the bearings, etc.

Anyway, does anyone have any idea of what else could be wrong that would be causing the bearing to take a crap? I'm running out of ideas, and patience. I'm not going to keep spending a couple of hours and $40 each month just to keep the bearing going. Is this a prime time to start with a full front and rear Aspire swaps? Or is there someone who has run into an issue similar to this on their Festy before? Please help.....

Did you put the bearing spacer back when you reassembled
    Did you check that the rotational force was within spec?
    Do you have a the Ford or Haynes manual for the procedure?
    Just a few shots in the dark.
    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
    '92 Aqua parts Car
    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
    Your holy ghost will not save you.
    Your God plutonium will not save you.
    In fact...
    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

For the record, the Hayne's is kind of useless when it comes to front bearings on Festivas. Basically it tells you that it's complicated, and to take the car to someone else to have the bearings changed.

I've kind of decided that the first chance I get to snag a wrecked Aspire, I'm doing it. Better brakes, easier maint.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
      1989 L - 247K miles Slick
      1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
      Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Originally posted by batstiva View Post
        For the record, the Hayne's is kind of useless when it comes to front bearings on Festivas. Basically it tells you that it's complicated, and to take the car to someone else to have the bearings changed.
        Yeah, me thinks your right.
        Ford manual details bearing replacement procedure.
        My bad!
        '92 Aqua parts Car
        '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K

In fact...

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

The first time I put it back together, I did remember to put the bearing spacer back in. This last time, I forgot. Either way, having the spacer in there didn't solve the problem either.

What exactly is the spacer for anyway? The bearings only go so close together anyway, so what good is the spacer?

Comment

it does say that useless garbage so much for full tear down manual as far as front rotors and bearings are concerned it should say not included on front or something to the effect

sorry no idea im about to replace mine just as maintenance if anything pops in my mind in the process ill get back im sure someone will throw out some good ideas
            93 L B6T DD http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=37751
            RIP_90 LuX http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=32249
            RIP 88 LX / B8-MEhttp://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=26398

RJ

Comment

PU241, It's all good. I just didn't want him to run out and buy a Hayne's just for that, only to find it didn't really tell him anything.

Definitely the Ford Manual would be the way to go.
              Last edited by batstiva; 09-28-2009, 10:00 PM.

Comment

I already have a Haines manual. And yes, it is totally useless for these fixes. Except that it does give the proper torque specs for all the nuts.

It's amazing on all the manuals that for all the projects where you seem to need the manual, it says to take it to a professional. But, it will sure tell you how to change the oil! LOL

Comment

Not a problem you are completely correct!
                  But, the Ford manual is a little harder to come by.
                  '92 Aqua parts Car
                  '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K

In fact...

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Originally posted by jsupple90 View Post
                    The first time I put it back together, I did remember to put the bearing spacer back in. This last time, I forgot. Either way, having the spacer in there didn't solve the problem either.

What exactly is the spacer for anyway? The bearings only go so close together anyway, so what good is the spacer?

THis is the best explaination I found for why there are shims/spacers in the hub bearing assembly:

Post your Festiva or Aspire repair and maintenance issues. - USE THIS FORUM FOR ANY TECHNICAL RELATED POST (IE. How do I change my oil?, How to remove axle from tranny?, etc)
                    '92 Aqua parts Car
                    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K

In fact...

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Originally posted by batstiva View Post
                      I've kind of decided that the first chance I get to snag a wrecked Aspire, I'm doing it. Better brakes, easier maint.
                      If I remember right, he aspire has the same exact design for the bearings, spacers and all. Its just easier to get the rotor off.
                      Previous owner of a '89 Graphite L, 4spd, GL Seats, Aspire Brakes, 14x6's, 185/60/14's

Comment

You could need a shim - there are 21 different shims for our front bearings if I recall correctly
                        Also you need to set the preload correctly - Preferably using a new spacer

91 L - modified to SLX- "Tin Can Project"
                        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2850897
                        92 GL - parts car
                        97 aspire - parts car
                        87 323 DX - daily driver

Visit My Store - New Products available!
                        http://www.cafepress.com/tunner

Car enthusiasts will respect all makes and models that preform.
                        Brand enthusiasts are the root of all problems in the car community.

Comment

I see factory ford manuals on ebay all the time...for cheap money too...just gotta look for them... you can also get them from manual dealers at swap meets, but they are alot more expensive..same goes for vacuum and wiring manuals..i got mine cheap on ebay...thinking i paid less than 5.00 for them + shipping..theres more manuals out there than cars left or buyers...:-)
                          Last edited by mikec; 09-29-2009, 09:09 AM. Reason: added
                          1992 festy GL, loaded, stock, 79 K
                          1994 Ford ranger - 2.3 I4 - 5 spd.
                          1999 Ford ranger - 3.0L V6 - 365 K and rising ! ( shooting for 500 K )
                          2000 Ford F-350 dually crew cab - 4x4 powerstroke !
                          2003 Ford Focus SVT - supercharged
                          2005 Saleen N20 Focus

" If it hurts when you do that, Dont do that !!! " - mikec

" Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill ! " - unknown

" Three can keep a secret, if two are dead ! " - Carlos Marcello

Comment

where can you get shims ?....i need to do my front brakes
                            Last edited by mikec; 09-29-2009, 09:10 AM. Reason: added
                            1992 festy GL, loaded, stock, 79 K
                            1994 Ford ranger - 2.3 I4 - 5 spd.
                            1999 Ford ranger - 3.0L V6 - 365 K and rising ! ( shooting for 500 K )
                            2000 Ford F-350 dually crew cab - 4x4 powerstroke !
                            2003 Ford Focus SVT - supercharged
                            2005 Saleen N20 Focus

" If it hurts when you do that, Dont do that !!! " - mikec

" Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill ! " - unknown

" Three can keep a secret, if two are dead ! " - Carlos Marcello

Comment

Got mine done today. Hope they last longer than jsupple's. Didn't realize exactly how loud the old ones were until they were changed. :shock:

Only had to do the right front. When the hub was separated from the rotor, the outer bearing came out in three pieces. The inner bearing was missing half the rollers. :shock: :shock:

Guess now I know why it was making so much noise, eh?

Comment

Working...
                              X