Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Small Car

Here's my winter project.

(I'm not as computer savvy as most of you, couldn't figure out how to embed the photo)

Anyway, this is our 1972 MG Midget. We are the third owners. The original owner was Paul Laxalt, former governor of Nevada and US senator. My wife's grandfather bought it from him in the mid 70's. When my wife was like 4 years old, she used to climb in the car and tell grandpa that it was her car. So he said one day he would give it to her. And he did. The car has been in storage for the past 10 years in my grandmother's garage because the clutch is out, and I just haven't had the money or ambition to work on it. I finally got the itch so I brought it home.

Overall it's in very good shape. A few little dings and scratches but nothing major. It only has a little over 15,000 miles on it. It's actually a convertible, but this one came with the hard top option which bolts on, which is seen in the photo. I hope to have it ready to go by spring.

My dad just bought one from a guy out in Cali. that runs a Spridget shop... I believe his is a '72 as well.. It was his first new car and finally he bought himself another. It's British Racing Green with the Tan interior... It's perfect, I mean you could eat off the engine... I'll see if he has some pics of it online and I'll post em up. Cool little cars!! Too bad British engineering was still far behind in the performance department... Their looks were and are really distinctive and I think really attractive to boot! Cool project, hopefully once you fix the clutch it won't give you the usual British relability... :roll: -Kyle
    Cosmic Blue 2008 Mazdaspeed 3 - Mostly Stock...

White 1990 Ford Festiva - B6 SOHC powered 50 shot = 14.5 @ 94 mph Gone but not forgotten

Proud member of Chicken Mechanix Racing

Comment

cool little car , kinda reminds me of a sunbeam tiger.. you should drop a wicked motor in it.

Comment

ah, yes... Lucas electrics and Smiths gages.... two of the joys of British motoring

Lucas, Prince of Sudden Darkness

Why do Brits drink warm beer? Because Lucas makes their refrigerators.

British engines leak oil, therefore, British electrics leak smoke.

Why don't the British build a computer? They couldn't figure out a way to make it leak oil.

The three headlamp switch positions in a British car?
        Off, Dim, and Flicker

I love two-wheeled Triumphs, but the electrics are the first thing to hit trashcan. The new Triumphs, however, are masterfully reliable.
        Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
        Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

:lol:

Yes, they are definitely not cars that you can just get in and drive and never have problems(like a Festiva). There's always tinkering to do. Actually the engines in these are pretty reliable.

There are lots of people who buy these cars that can't do any work(about the only thing they can do to a car is put gas in the tank), because they think the cars are cool. They don't own them very long because they always have to take it to the shop. It's usually just little stuff, but if you don't know how to work on them, it gets spendy fast.

Once thing's for sure, they are a hoot to drive!

Comment

absolutely! I'd like find a decent Spitfire or Stag one day...
            Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Comment

Sweet! MY sister has a 74( I think) Fiat spyder which is a pretty badass car.
              My Mods/Pics
              MY VIDEO

Comment

Originally posted by FB71
                The three headlamp switch positions in a British car?
                Off, Dim, and Flicker
                I always heard that it was "Lucas lights have 3 positions... out, flicker and smoking."

Brits, the only people in the world who think cork is an acceptable electrical insulator!

Abe
                Project B6T stalled. Waiting for inspiration or motiviation.

Comment

well, at 6 volts potential, 4 amperes flow and a positive earth, it is!

cork to insulate electrical and paper to seal oil...

and I thought 'smoking' was normal for all positions, including 'off'?
                  Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Comment

They Defineately did some strange things. Ours is actually 12 V Neg. ground. My father in law bought a 1960 MG A this summer. That was 12 V Positive ground. But did they use a 12 V battery?? Nope. They placed two 6V batts (one behind each seat) and wired them in series. DUMB!

Comment

lol reading through these post you guys really have some funny prejudices
                      :lol:
                      How can you compare a 35 yr old car to a 15 year old festiva?
                      Why is wiring up to 6v batteries in series a dumb idea? Not all the countries in the world had converted to 12v completely and no one seems to think twice when they whack two 1.5v AA in a 3v torch :roll:
                      Smith gauges are extremely reliable and much sort after by enthusiast.

It comes down to the whole market thing.. i always get the impression that if you didn't by American muscle in the states during the 50,60's,70's and 80's it was crap, not worth the expensive and devoid of any technical expertise.

A same year mustang prob has been maintained.. parts are cheap and available, people are familiar with the configuration etc etc

Here in Australia we have a lot of old Mini's and Moke's as well as quite a few MG and Morrises... parts are getting rarer but they is a lot of info and support... in fact i want a moke some where along the future..

Here Mustangs, Trans Am and old Chevvies are full of problems in the electrics gauges are faulty and don't work, leaking oil, parts are rare and expensive and generally not worth your time ... sound familiar
                      :angel12:-Santos
                      I Officially Hate Spelling Cow v1.6.0

Comment

I was actually referring more to the location of the batteries as being dumb more so than the fact that there are two. Batteries inside the cabin isn't such a good idea in my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Santos
                          Here Mustangs, Trans Am and old Chevvies are full of problems in the electrics gauges are faulty and don't work, leaking oil, parts are rare and expensive and generally not worth your time ... sound familiar
                          Familiar? Yes. But at least the American cars didn't come off the assembly line leaking oil, sparking and smoking.

Oh and I fully admit Amercan muscle generally was crap from 1973 until 1992. That's when the kick ass F bodies began rolling off the Canadian (can we be America too?) assembly lines.

Abe
                          Project B6T stalled. Waiting for inspiration or motiviation.

Comment

Originally posted by booster1976
                            That's when the kick ass F bodies began rolling off the Canadian (can we be America too?) assembly lines.

Abe

Yes, I'd like to be hated by the rest of the world actually.
                            * Retired Festiva-er*
                            1990 Festiva - The Once Fastest Red 1990 Festiva LX on this site! - now in more dedicated hands!
                            B6T'ing since May 2002...

Disclaimer: I'm a dick, deal with it.

Comment

Are you saying there is a world outside of the U.S.A?
                              http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/708975

http://p074.ezboard.com/ffordfestiva...picID=92.topic

Comment

Working...
                              X