F150 fuel problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F150 fuel problems

Yeah, I know, I'm looking for help on a non-festiva again. I have an '87 F150 4.9L with dual tanks. The PO did a crazy rewiring job on the fuel system. I'll try to explain it, but it's pretty screwy. The front tank is bad. They replaced the rear pump and tank and had a bunch of electrical problems. to sum it up, the rear pump works only if the switch is set to the front tank. They also managed to get the fuel gauge to stop working, but that's a whole other problem. The truck was leaking bad, so I climbed under and realized both lines to the front tank are not connected. I'm assuming the line the gas is coming out of is the return line and because of the goofy set up, the fuel is being sent to the wrong tank. How do I get this straightened out so the return fuel is going to the correct tank? I don't wanna just reconnect the lines, because then the gas will be going to the tank that leaks. I need to get his fixed FAST and I'm not sure what to do.
    Last edited by garylau; 10-01-2009, 02:59 PM.
    1992 Subaru Legacy
    1988 Chevy Caprice Classic

Trace the return line from the working tank AND the non working tank then switch their places with each other and that should get the fuel to return to the proper working tank.

Without pictures that's about the best advice I got.
    Last edited by shortystowing; 10-01-2009, 03:15 PM.
    88 Smaller Hauler

Comment

A kitchen match? Sccccccrrrrrrrriiiiittttcccchhhhhh......BOOM! crackle crackle crackle.
      Qroger

Comment

Working...
      X